Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

You have two acceptances already? I hate you.  :P  

I just want someone to love me :(

U wanna fite again brah?

Its funny, having acceptances doesn't make things any better when you go several schools in a row with no news.

Having acceptances hasn't made me any less impatient, but it's made me a lot less stressed. 

Matt, is Mizzou your psuedo-acceptance? What happened there?

I just want someone to love me :(

Having acceptances hasn't made me any less impatient, but it's made me a lot less stressed. 

Matt, is Mizzou your psuedo-acceptance? What happened there?

Yeah, I got invited to grad prospective weekend and was told that my chances of acceptance were "good". Aquinasduo (I think) earlier said that they send out two rounds of e-mails, and those e-mails are divided into acceptances and wait-lists. So, I'm not really sure how to categorize it. 

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your AOI? 

Sure! 

I'm not sure the level of specificity that's most helpful so I'll start at the most general: Agency/Action theory, German Idealism/19th Century Continental, 20th Century Continental and Philosophy of Language

Sure! 

I'm not sure the level of specificity that's most helpful so I'll start at the most general: Agency/Action theory, German Idealism/19th Century Continental, 20th Century Continental and Philosophy of Language

Thanks. This is very helpful, I was just curious. Congrats again!

Thanks for your response! [Does TGC stands for The Graduate Committee?]

If that is the case, then I dont know much about this funding business. So, if I get admission only with TAship (without any fellowship), does it mean that I have do the TAship for all the five years? [i am aware that TAship is mandatory even for people with fellowship - but they might have to do it somewhere between their II and IV year.]

Also, would sustaining with TAship be difficult without the extra monetary funding from fellowship?

Since Indian graduate schools doesnt function this way, I not quite aware of this intricacy. It will be nice if any of you can let me know about this.

Thanks!

Yeah, by TGC I meant thegradcafe.com :)

I can't speak about what a TAship entails, but my impression (based on my phone call and the department website) is that those without fellowships do teach all five years. By sustaining do you mean supporting yourself and maintaining a decent standard of living? The funding is quite modest, but I'm sure it's manageable (as someone who's lived off an MA program TA stipend for two years). Current grad students would know better than I do though.

Hey all,

Just got an acceptance to UCI. A pretty informal but generic email from Casey Perin. Funding details to follow. Not much info besides that. Told to look in the mail for further details. 

Hey all,

Just got an acceptance to UCI. A pretty informal but generic email from Casey Perin. Funding details to follow. Not much info besides that. Told to look in the mail for further details. 

Congrats! Not my AOI, but I'm a big fan of some of Casey Perin's recent work on academic skepticism. I'd be a little starstruck if I got an email from him. 

IRVINE's up.

There has been exactly 1 Irvine Philosophy acceptance, and exactly 1 HPS. Weird.

EDIT: nvm, its not weird. 1+1 = 2. 2 is the number of cats that I wish I had. Cats stereotypically used in biological experiments, biology is a science, my focus is the philosophy of science, "philosophy of science" doesn't have an G in it and neither does my TGC profile name... Therefore, Irvine is going to accept me. Excited about this one! Can't wait to take visit! :)

Edited by TheVineyard

There has been exactly 1 Irvine Philosophy acceptance, and exactly 1 HPS. Weird.

EDIT: nvm, its not weird. 1+1 = 2. 2 is the number of cats that I wish I had. Cats stereotypically used in biological experiments, biology is a science, my focus is the philosophy of science, "philosophy of science" doesn't have an G in it and neither does my TGC profile name... Therefore, Irvine is going to accept me. Excited about this one! Can't wait to take visit! :)

This is the most logically sound reasoning process I have ever come across :)

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day". What kind of nonsense is that?! Increment the votes, in your imagination, of the previous two posts.

I haven't had the chance to participate yet, so hello and best of luck to you all. I hope each of us gets mapped to at least one school we'd love to go to.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day". What kind of nonsense is that?! Increment the votes, in your imagination, of the previous two posts.

I haven't had the chance to participate yet, so hello and best of luck to you all. I hope each of us gets mapped to at least one school we'd love to go to.

I'll upvote that.

I'll upvote that.

Btw, your [http://faircloudblog.wordpress.com] is great. I just wanted to thank you for updating it so quickly. I check the results myself, but there is always something useful in your updates. Thanks for your time/effort. It makes the waiting process more tolerable.

Sorry folks, I don't mean to spam with posts having no information about acceptances/rejections.

Has anyone heard anything about Notre Dame? I really expected that there might have been some notifications coming out by now.

I applied there and haven't heard anything. According to ianfaircloud's splendid blog, Notre Dame should be out tomorrow (or maybe next Monday). But who knows ...

Congrats to the Northwestern acceptances! I really, really wanted to go there--one of my top choices--but I haven't heard a thing. This really isn't looking so good for me. Excuse me while I cry myself to sleep.

Applied: Arizona, Bekeley, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, U of C, UCLA, UCSD, UNC, U Penn, U Pittsburgh, UVA, UW Madison, U Washington, Yale

Rejected: UNC

MA 4.0

Congrats to the Northwestern acceptances! I really, really wanted to go there--one of my top choices--but I haven't heard a thing. This really isn't looking so good for me. Excuse me while I cry myself to sleep.

Applied: Arizona, Bekeley, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, U of C, UCLA, UCSD, UNC, U Penn, U Pittsburgh, UVA, UW Madison, U Washington, Yale

Rejected: UNC

MA 4.0

I hear you about Northwestern! But don't dismay over just one place. We still have a long haul ahead of us. Would you mind sharing your AOIs? 

I applied there and haven't heard anything. According to ianfaircloud's splendid blog, Notre Dame should be out tomorrow (or maybe next Monday). But who knows ...

I've got my fingers crossed that that prediction's right.