Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Wow, I was away from my computer most of the day.  And the results were ridiculous today.  The Chicago thing isn't surprising to me, but the Michigan is very surprising.  The WashU is earlier than I expected.  UCSD is about on time.  All of these posts look legitimate.

I would kill to hear from one of the two Chicago admits. It's my number 1 pick and I'd like some kind of details, considering that I haven't heard anything yet. 

Is your first choice Chicago Philosophy or the Committee on Social Thought?

Has anyone heard anything more about the UCSD admits?  We have two posts, phone and email, with no comments.

One of those was my girlfriend. She got a voicemail and then an email. The email appears to give general information about funding and visiting, but does not seem to give details about her funding in particular.

I thought about applying to the Committee on Social Thought at one point... if only to study with Pippin and Marion.

Ideally I'd like to study with either Pippin or Conant (I've recently discovered Conant's work on Nietzsche and love it). I'm actually pretty committed to interdisciplinary work though, so the Committee is a good fit for my interests in a general sense. 

EDIT: Basically, I'd give my left nut to do anything at U Chicago

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

One of those was my girlfriend. She got a voicemail and then an email. The email appears to give general information about funding and visiting, but does not seem to give details about her funding in particular.

Thanks so much for this update!!  I will edit my blog post...

I see from the admissions results page that an acceptance email is from the professor whom the admitted person is interested in working with. I assume that the person has indicated who he or she would like to work with in his or her statement of purpose. Did everybody does the same? (I did not mention any specific professor who I want to work with in my sop, except the fit on a very general level. But this may be a mistake. Thoughts?) 

Edited by Platonist

Davis! So awesome. I am surprised that they turned the apps around so fast, with a 1/15 deadline. I was shocked when I opened the email. Kudos to the adcom!

Congrats!

Wow, someone got a phone call from Wrathall yesterday? Congrats to that person as well! I wonder why the change-up in contact.

Edited by Monadology

that was my first thought as well, of course not to discredit exceptional GRE scores and what must be a strong writing sample

I don't think that GRE scores get anyone in...I think they can just keep people with low scores out. There are too many people accepted with GRE scores in the 70-90 range for them to be all that important.