Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Awesome! Thanks for this, again. I was going to make this myself, but the smarter man is the procrastinator who can take advantage of the hard work of others!

Sorry, Vineyard.  I accidentally hit the down instead of the up.  I guess I can't undo my down-vote.  So here's an up-vote on some random post of yours.

Your work, as always, is much appreciated.

I particularly like this graphic. It's very helpful, thanks!

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Awesome! Thanks for this, again. I was going to make this myself, but the smarter man is the procrastinator who can take advantage of the hard work of others!

My pleasure.  If the world is just, I will now be admitted to Brown University.

Is it possible that today has been so painfully slow because activity over the weekend was uncharacteristically high? Has the philosophy admissions market undergone a self-correction?

Quick question, there is only one post for UC Irvine (LPS) for a week now. Could someone help me interpret such results?  

A friend of mine received an offer from UCI's LPS program, and has scheduled a visit. I do not know if they were the same ones that reported the result here, but I don't think so. So it's at least possible that more offers have just not been reported on here yet. 

There goes another NYU acceptance, and an Arizona waitlist. At least something happened, even though it seems to be at the end of the day. 

Well looks like I wasn't waitlisted if they sent out a mass email. Bollocks...

Edited by zizeksucks

So why is it that they accept and wait list but don't reject the rest? If they were going to reject people wouldn't they just do it? I know they have no immediate reason to, but it would presumably speed up the process of everyone finding their spot, which may help their admits get sorted out and thus help them, and it would also prevent the countless emails they must get "hey have you made all the offers?!?". So why wouldn't they just reject the remainder unless there was still a chance for them...

So why is it that they accept and wait list but don't reject the rest? If they were going to reject people wouldn't they just do it? I know they have no immediate reason to, but it would presumably speed up the process of everyone finding their spot, which may help their admits get sorted out and thus help them, and it would also prevent the countless emails they must get "hey have you made all the offers?!?". So why wouldn't they just reject the remainder unless there was still a chance for them...

Because graduate departments are powered by the fears and torments of anxious undergraduates. 

That's what I was thinking. Unless it's just that they're incredibly rude and don't care to even inform those who didn't get in, or at least not in a timely manner. 

I am one of the ones waitlisted at Arizona.  However, I already took my name off the waitlist.  I hope that helps someone!

Just out of curiosity, what is your rationale for not waiting to see if you get in? I ask because I'm still trying to figure out this process, and it seems like if you're interested in political philosophy, you would want to wait and see what happens with Arizona.

Just out of curiosity, what is your rationale for not waiting to see if you get in? I ask because I'm still trying to figure out this process, and it seems like if you're interested in political philosophy, you would want to wait and see what happens with Arizona.

Perhaps they feel like UNC and/or Virginia are better fits for them? 

Presumambly because even if he got in, he'd prefer Virginia or Chapel Hill.

Arizona is definitely strong in political philosophy.  But Chapel Hill is stronger in ethics, is solid in political philosophy (especially given my interests), and has one very strong figure in philosophy of law (Gerald Postema).  Chapel Hill's funding package is significantly better:  more money and more time on fellowship.  I also have some personal reasons as well (Chapel Hill's location is more appealing to me, my fiancee is a teacher and the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is more populated than Tucson, Chapel Hill is a bit closer to family, etc.).  Short answer:  If political were my only strong interest, I would definitely wait on Arizona, but I like ethics as least as much as I like political, and I really like what Chapel Hill has to offer in ethics.  

Arizona is definitely strong in political philosophy.  But Chapel Hill is stronger in ethics, is solid in political philosophy (especially given my interests), and has one very strong figure in philosophy of law (Gerald Postema).  Chapel Hill's funding package is significantly better:  more money and more time on fellowship.  I also have some personal reasons as well (Chapel Hill's location is more appealing to me, my fiancee is a teacher and the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is more populated than Tucson, Chapel Hill is a bit closer to family, etc.).  Short answer:  If political were my only strong interest, I would definitely wait on Arizona, but I like ethics as least as much as I like political, and I really like what Chapel Hill has to offer in ethics.  

So i'm guessing you are going to reject UVA as well? Well that's good maybe I can get in there.