Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Observation: Many of the people who are getting multiple, high end, acceptances are located in Massachusetts. Perhaps more evidence in support of UG brand value in applications. 

I'm not sure if I'm part of the observation sample here, but as I am located in that state, I'll respond anyway. I can't speak to the general truth of your hypothesis, but I can say that I, at least, am applying out of an MA program. My UG was a small lib-arts school in the middle of nowhere. The first time I tried to apply to PhD programs, I had a few MAs more as safety schools than anything. Turns out the program made my writing sample a whole lot better, and gave me much more background in analytic philosophy, since my undergrad was primarily History/Continental in focus. 

Observation: Many of the people who are getting multiple, high end, acceptances are located in Massachusetts. Perhaps more evidence in support of UG brand value in applications. 

Keep in mind that there are more colleges and universities in Boston / Cambridge than in any one location in the US. So that may skew the data. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Boston_college_town_map.png/660px-Boston_college_town_map.png

Edited by philosophe

Hi Occam's Razor: 

I saw in your signature that you turned down the offer to Rochester. When did you do this? 

PS: I thought your rejection of Rochester might help me, but may not, because you and I have different areas of interest. So if you release a spot, they will look for a person of your AOI to fill it in. It is disappointing. 

Edited by Platonist

Hi Occam's Razor: 

I saw in your signature that you turned down the offer to Rochester. When did you do this? 

PS: I thought your rejection of Rochester might help me, but may not, because you and I have different areas of interest. So if you release a spot, they will look for a person of your AOI to fill it in. It is disappointing. 

This was a couple of days ago. From what I understand (mind you, this is from the rumor mill, so may not be true), Rochester admitted maybe 6-8 people with the intent of filling only around 2 spots this year. I'm not sure what that means for you, but I hope you hear good news from them!

This was a couple of days ago. From what I understand (mind you, this is from the rumor mill, so may not be true), Rochester admitted maybe 6-8 people with the intent of filling only around 2 spots this year. I'm not sure what that means for you, but I hope you hear good news from them!

Thanks, Occam's Razorburn. Yes, philosophe (who is accepted to Rochester) says the same thing, that is, they have only 2 spots for PhD students this year. If this is the case, I will have no chance. It is quite reasonable to expect that 2 people out of 6-8 acceptances will accept the offer. 

Thanks, Occam's Razorburn. Yes, philosophe (who is accepted to Rochester) says the same thing, that is, they have only 2 spots for PhD students this year. If this is the case, I will have no chance. It is quite reasonable to expect that 2 people out of 6-8 acceptances will accept the offer. 

PS: sorry for posting the same thing twice. I do not know how to delete one of them. 

Edited by Platonist

I accepted Arizona's offer. This means I will be turning down an offer at Syracuse, and taking myself off the waitlists of Wash U, Indiana, and Missouri. Hopefully this helps some people. Very excited about this, so anyone else that ends up deciding on Arizona should definitely contact me!

First, congratulations!

Second, while I'm very happy that you enjoyed the Arizona visit, shouldn't you wait until at least some of those other schools send out acceptances? I mean, are you withdrawing your applications from Rutgers, Michigan, Harvard, and so on? It just seems a bit premature.

I'll claim one of those Austin wait lists. Was very pleased with this so I hope it turns into something. My AOI is Mind/Action so if anyone with an offer roughly in that area is thinking of turning their offer down then do let me know!

First, congratulations!

Second, while I'm very happy that you enjoyed the Arizona visit, shouldn't you wait until at least some of those other schools send out acceptances? I mean, are you withdrawing your applications from Rutgers, Michigan, Harvard, and so on? It just seems a bit premature.

Thanks! 

I mentioned this a bit, but I have other reasons for preferring to go to Arizona (family [both my wife and I's family live here], friends, weather, activities) that outweigh any academic reasons that I might have for going to a higher-ranked school if I was able to get in. 

So my stomach dropped because I had a missed call and voicemail from Iowa City (I applied to the University of Iowa). Just a message about my transcript... I only sent pages 1 and 2 out of 3 because the third page was blank. Ughhhhhh.

Well, hopefully it's a good sign that they cared at all to follow up? According to last year's results they released on 2/18 last year. 

Edited by philosophe

So my stomach dropped because I had a missed call and voicemail from Iowa City (I applied to the University of Iowa). Just a message about my transcript... I only sent pages 1 and 2 out of 3 because the third page was blank. Ughhhhhh.

Well, hopefully it's a good sign that they cared at all to follow up? According to last year's results they released on 2/18 last year. 

Seems like that has to be good news at this point in the game. Surely they don't have the time to track down every missing page this late in February. I guess I'd be optimistic.

Seems like that has to be good news at this point in the game. Surely they don't have the time to track down every missing page this late in February. I guess I'd be optimistic.

I really hope so. I've been on a serious rejection streak. This process is such a downer. 

Here I am, back again, to claim a Brown rejection. But I am going to stop logging on just to let everyone know that the rejections are real and belong (in large part) to me. I realized that it is totally unhelpful because no one doubts the veracity of the rejection postings.

So...when you see future rejections from great departments on the results page, they're mine. All of them.

I have only a few schools left so I think I am out. I applaud everyone here who has been accepted, and in particular, those who applied more than once. I don't know that I have the fortitude to go through this process again--it is so damn brutal.

And to think...I went halfway through college planning on and on track to becoming a doctor. Yesh.

Here I am, back again, to claim a Brown rejection. But I am going to stop logging on just to let everyone know that the rejections are real and belong (in large part) to me. I realized that it is totally unhelpful because no one doubts the veracity of the rejection postings.

So...when you see future rejections from great departments on the results page, they're mine. All of them.

I have only a few schools left so I think I am out. I applaud everyone here who has been accepted, and in particular, those who applied more than once. I don't know that I have the fortitude to go through this process again--it is so damn brutal.

And to think...I went halfway through college planning on and on track to becoming a doctor. Yesh.

I'm probably screwed as well, brother.  I did apply to a funded MA program, though, so we'll see how that goes.