Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Also, the CUNY post said "26 February," while where I am, it is still 25 February, so it could be an international acceptance.

For whatever reason, grad cafe has a default time stamp of one of the European time zones. I remember noticing it and switching. It's possible that the call occurred this evening and was posted but still carried the European time stamp, which, at this point, would be tomorrow.

It's really hard to say at this point. Different schools have different policies on sending out acceptances. My advisor said some schools send out a few at a time, while others send them out all at once. While I think it is POSSIBLE that the previous Michigan posts were real, if they were, this suggests Michigan has sent out a few acceptances already. BUT since the number of posts of Michigan acceptances was small (I would've expected more people to post), this either suggests that there are more acceptances to send out, or, unfortunately (or actually, fortunately), that the Michigan posts were fake. So yeah, it's possible they're fake. Why people would deliberately post fake acceptances is beyond me. There are a lot of people that are really stressed out over these notices, and to me, fake postings are a pretty crappy thing to do.

I think someone in the forums claimed a Michigan acceptance a while back, so I think at least a few are real.

For whatever reason, grad cafe has a default time stamp of one of the European time zones. I remember noticing it and switching. It's possible that the call occurred this evening and was posted but still carried the European time stamp, which, at this point, would be tomorrow.

I think someone in the forums claimed a Michigan acceptance a while back, so I think at least a few are real.

But it is still weird that only one person posted a CUNY acceptance. I feel like, if they were making calls tonight, they would've been a little earlier in the evening, and there would've been at least a few more.

But it is still weird that only one person posted a CUNY acceptance. I feel like, if they were making calls tonight, they would've been a little earlier in the evening, and there would've been at least a few more.

Agreed. It's odd to me as well. I only wanted to indicate why the time stamp on the results page shouldn't count as problematic. There may very well be other reasons to be suspicious.

Agreed. It's odd to me as well. I only wanted to indicate why the time stamp on the results page shouldn't count as problematic. There may very well be other reasons to be suspicious.

My biggest reason is my advisor would've told me today that some acceptances went out. Or at least I HOPE he would've told me when I spoke with him. There was a hold up with one of my transcripts, so he personally e-mailed the adcom to let them know. I mean, if I were accepted or rejected, or waitlisted, I would like to think he would've told me, instead of just kept me in the dark. If I'm correct, it means that even if the CUNY acceptance is real, which I doubt, they haven't finished going through all of the applications yet. 

My biggest reason is my advisor would've told me today that some acceptances went out. Or at least I HOPE he would've told me when I spoke with him. There was a hold up with one of my transcripts, so he personally e-mailed the adcom to let them know. I mean, if I were accepted or rejected, or waitlisted, I would like to think he would've told me, instead of just kept me in the dark. If I'm correct, it means that even if the CUNY acceptance is real, which I doubt, they haven't finished going through all of the applications yet. 

Did you think that maybe your advisor isn't in the adcom (he isn't, as you said) and that he has better things to do than babysit your application and try to extract adcom decision information every hour of every day? Maybe he didn't think it was your business to know exactly what offers were being sent out to exactly which people the moment it happened?

Edited by TheVineyard

Sorry, folks. I had to take the day off. I'm updating the blog now.

• I'm holding off on declaring the Harvard posts legitimate, though I'm pretty certain that the wait-list is legitimate. It's very odd that the first legitimate Harvard post will likely be a wait-list notification! The timing is right for Harvard, so I'm expecting some confirmation within days.

• The Madison wait-lists are legitimate. (I got one, actually.)

• The CUNY could be legitimate, but I'm holding off on that one, too. One post. Nothing to confirm it on the forums.

• I'm holding off on declaring the Harvard posts legitimate, though I'm pretty certain that the wait-list is legitimate. It's very odd that the first legitimate Harvard post will likely be a wait-list notification! The timing is right for Harvard, so I'm expecting some confirmation within days.

• The CUNY could be legitimate, but I'm holding off on that one, too. One post. Nothing to confirm it on the forums.

Congrats on the waitlist! I've been hoping you would hear some good news.

Edited by wandajune

Congrats on the waitlist! I've been hoping you would hear some good news.

Thanks! It was really, really great to hear something positive today. As many of us know, it's so hard to go through a dozen rejections with almost nothing to show for it.

Congrats! I'm very pleased you've finally heard some positive news.

Hey all,

New here. I've been accepted to UCSD and Brown, gotten either an acceptance or waitlist at Toronto, have been waitlisted at ND and UW-M and have been rejected by UNC and Arixona.

I've seen a few people talk about a 'survey' on here, I think a survey about where people claim to have been accepted, denied, etc. Can someone point me to this , if it exists?

Thanks

So, unless someone is playing an evil prank on me, I believe Jeffrey McDonough just sent me an email admitting me to Harvard!

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

and, of course, thrilled!

EDIT: I hope no one hacked into McDonough's email account and sent me a fraudulent email. That is how shocking news of admission is to me. But I'm sooo excited!!! :)

Edited by DHumeDominates

So, unless someone is playing an evil prank on me, I believe Jeffrey McDonough just sent me an email admitting me to Harvard!

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

EDIT: I hope no one hacked into McDonough's email account and sent me a fraudulent email. That is how shocking news of admission is to me. But I'm sooo excited!!! :)

Congratulations!!! I think you will take the Harvard offer of admission. So, would you please turn down the acceptances and waitlists at all other schools as soon as possible to help out other applicants? Thanks. 

Congratulations!!! I think you will take the Harvard offer of admission. So, would you please turn down the acceptances and waitlists at all other schools as soon as possible to help out other applicants? Thanks. 

Thanks, Platonist. Harvard is indeed among my top choices (exactly where it stands I don't even know). So, I will turn down some other stuff. But I'm prepared to hang onto the Yale wait list (for example).

Deal? :)

Thanks, Platonist. Harvard is indeed among my top choices (exactly where it stands I don't even know). So, I will turn down some other stuff. But I'm prepared to hang onto the Yale wait list (for example).

Deal? :)

Thanks, DHume. Deal. :)  It is reasonable to hang onto the Yale wait list for a while, though it is not very likely to get off a highly-ranked program like Yale. But it is interesting to see if one could get off it.  :rolleyes:  

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

DHumeDominates?  More like DHumeDominates Dominates!  That's awesome!  Congrats!

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

That's amazing, congratulations!