Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

So, unless someone is playing an evil prank on me, I believe Jeffrey McDonough just sent me an email admitting me to Harvard!

... what?!?!

I am absolutely STUNNED

and, of course, thrilled!

EDIT: I hope no one hacked into McDonough's email account and sent me a fraudulent email. That is how shocking news of admission is to me. But I'm sooo excited!!! :)

Seeing this made me smile. Congratulations!!

I was just accepted to UCLA. I will message a couple people here that I know from elsewhere to confirm that I'm a real applicant.

Congrats!

But also: for the love of God I thought the suspense today was over.

I am very sorry if this has been addressed prior, I looked and didn't see it but could have missed something: 

Do we happen to know if Syracuse and/or Riverside will have a waitlist? I feel like the former does not use one and the latter will, but am not sure from where I got these ideas. 

Thanks!

When I saw MattDest's Rice post earlier I really expected that more results would be coming out of their department today. It seems this hasn't been the case--unless, of course, people just aren't posting results for some reason. Maybe MattDest is the only young philosopher they wish to receive into their department this year!  ;)

I am very sorry if this has been addressed prior, I looked and didn't see it but could have missed something: 

Do we happen to know if Syracuse and/or Riverside will have a waitlist? I feel like the former does not use one and the latter will, but am not sure from where I got these ideas. 

Thanks!

I'm dying to know more about a potential Riverside (also UCSD) wait-list as well.... 

I was just accepted to UCLA. I will message a couple people here that I know from elsewhere to confirm that I'm a real applicant.

Congratulations! Was any information supplied about how many offers they made or if the committee is finished making decisions? I only ask because it's my top choice. Of course if you don't feel comfortable answering I understand. 

Firstly, congrats to Ian on the UW-M wait list and to all you guys on the acceptances and waitlists! 

Second, I am sorry for the half-joking request on DHumedorminates to turn down other offers if he or she wants to get into Harvard. When I said this, I was partly meaning to say that Harvard is so high that an immediate decision can be easily made regarding its offer. But my wording was misleading. I did not mean to press and entirely agree that it is reasonable to sit on to multiple offers until a later date. I hope DHumedorminates did not feel the pressure :P (By the way, are there any Humean scholars in Harvard philosophy department? I know there are many Kantians working there, but am not sure if there are any Humeans. :rolleyes: ) 

Hi,

Also late to the scene.

Accepted: Stanford, UT-Austin, Georgetown, Northwestern

Waitlist: UC-Berkeley

Shot Down By: MIT

No Word: Southern Cal, Yale, Michigan, UConn, Princeton, UMass-Amherst

I understand that USC, Yale, UM, and UConn have already sent out acceptances/waitlists? Will any of them send more, do we think, or should I give up hope?

And I know it looks like I should just accept Stanford and be done with it at this point, but honestly NW is the best fit for my interests. Also, this is my gap year and I'm stoked to have a chance to visit any place that will fly me out. And I promised myself I wouldn't rule out any school before I visited.

Finally, anybody have any experience with the UC-Berkeley waitlist? They invited me to visit and I got a very encouraging email, which sounds like one very different from one a few people reported getting saying they were low on the list and not to hold their breath.

Hi there, 

Just wondering what your AOI is? I'm on the UT Austin wait list and just curious if you're interested in the same area.

Cheers. 

ill claim a Hopkins waitlist (having already been rejected from Brown, Northwestern, MIT and UNC) came by e-mail, it also said that the initial acceptances were very conservative and that the likelihood that the waitlist would be dipped into was higher than previous years. Mail also included funding info...

My guess - Hopkins' one acceptance & the waitlist are from the same AOI. What say?

Apart from this, was checking a year older stats abt UIC acceptances. One person had commented that they have an intake of 5. And not finding any waitlist postings for 2013, probably UIC doesnt have this year as well. Any comments?

My guess - Hopkins' one acceptance & the waitlist are from the same AOI. What say?

Apart from this, was checking a year older stats abt UIC acceptances. One person had commented that they have an intake of 5. And not finding any waitlist postings for 2013, probably UIC doesnt have this year as well. Any comments?

man I hope you're right.

Congratulations! Was any information supplied about how many offers they made or if the committee is finished making decisions? I only ask because it's my top choice. Of course if you don't feel comfortable answering I understand. 

I would also love to hear specifics about the UCLA offer, as that was pretty high on my list as well. Congrats!, Maybe, at least, I can bask in your glory.

Just saw two rejections from Rice. Seems like an odd pattern, given MattDest's acceptance today. So much for sleep/relaxation tonight...

I turned it down, it said I was "one of four.. out of 75" that stood out, so I imagine the initial acceptances are pretty few. Given our similar AOIs... hopefully you get something! 

Can anyone claim the notification from Urbana-Champaign?

That was me. I believe I got an earlier notification because I'm fairly close in proximity to campus, and so they invited me to their upcoming graduate student conference.

greencoloredpencil, hopefulpessimiste: I didn't get either of those two details about UCLA, or anything really beyond the money and the planned visiting date. One thing that did happen is that, yesterday, I got an email requesting an official transcript (since I only sent an unofficial one originally) "in order to complete the PhD application." I hoped at the time that meant they would be accepting me, since why else would they need it? So my guess is that if you got that email they are accepting you (and, by now, probably have already), if not you are either waitlisted or rejected. Or maybe they also asked for transcripts from the waitlisted people as well. It's hard to say.

Edited by therewolf

greencoloredpencil, hopefulpessimiste: I didn't get either of those two details about UCLA, or anything really beyond the money and the planned visiting date. One thing that did happen is that, yesterday, I got an email requesting an official transcript (since I only sent an unofficial one originally) "in order to complete the PhD application." I hoped at the time that meant they would be accepting me, since why else would they need it? So my guess is that if you got that email they are accepting you (and, by now, probably have already), if not you are either waitlisted or rejected. Or maybe they also asked for transcripts from the waitlisted people as well. It's hard to say.

I was accepted at UCLA and didn't get such an email, so I don't think anyone should despair just because she hasn't received one.