Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

How would having non-uniform deadlines possibly help? If B's deadline was April 15 and H's was April 20, that would just make it less likely a wait listed applicant would hear in time...

Having a standard deadline doesn't solve very problem, but it seems pretty clear that it's the best option.

Yes, you are right. I agree.

They're broad: metaphysics, ethics, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of action. Whenever possible, I work on all of these at the same time. (Example: metaphysics of pain/pleasure.)

I'm also getting really into formal semantics, which is unbelievably fun.

Philosophy of language is really hard. To do it well, one would have to be good at logic and metaphysics. Did any body read the Philosophy of Language by Scott Soames? It is a pretty challenging book. 

Philosophy of language is really hard. To do it well, one would have to be good at logic and metaphysics. Did any body read the Philosophy of Language by Scott Soames? It is a pretty challenging book. 

Not necessarily. One doesn't have to be incredibly well-versed in logic, for instance, in order to understand Austen or Cavell, and they're both language philosophers.

That is an unusually difficult intro to philosophy of language partly because of the page/word count constraints on those Princeton Foundations series books.

Not necessarily. One doesn't have to be incredibly well-versed in logic, for instance, in order to understand Austen or Cavell, and they're both language philosophers.

Right, but there's been an insane amount of work done post-Austin, much of which is more technically difficult.

Right, but there's been an insane amount of work done post-Austin, much of which is more technically difficult.

Of course. I just think it's unnecessary to say that one must be well-versed in logic and metaphysics to do Phil Language, because it's not really the case if you're going to be working on Ordinary Language Philosophy or you're going to be working in a more historical capacity. You'll only have to be well-versed in those fields if you're interested in working in the specific sub-fields which require you to be well-versed in logic and metaphysics, which doesn't really say much.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I just got an unofficial offer from Purdue. It's unofficial in that the grad school still has to approve it. As for funding, I've been wait-listed for that. 

I'm still not clear: does that mean I should post this in the wait-list thread?

I just got an unofficial offer from Purdue. It's unofficial in that the grad school still has to approve it. As for funding, I've been wait-listed for that. 

I'm still not clear: does that mean I should post this in the wait-list thread?

Congrats!

Can anyone claim the Michigan acceptance?

I'd like to know, too!

At least, in your case Modal, you have tons of great choics! Have you narrowed down your options?

I'd like to know, three! (I promise I'm not in third grade. :))

Also, the Michigan philosophy department's website says that those admitted and wait listed will be notified by March 15th. However, I assume this is false. The date is probably either March 14th (this Friday) or March 17th or 18th. I include the 18th because I think admissions committees often like to give themselves one last Monday to review things.