Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Edgecliffe is a splendid building with a nice garden, and the classroom overlooks the North Sea.

Virginia is my lead contender right now. I am waitlisted for funding at St. Andrews, and I would need funding to be able to return. Same for Missouri (their process seems weirder and weirder the more I learn about it), and the fellowship there might sway me. Something draws me to SUNY, it is hard to put my finger on, but I am wiling to wager that passing on Virginia for SUNY would be unwise. 

I really hope we'll be fellow classmates then!

I never would have thought this, but apparently getting into grad school is only part of the problem...you have to make sure there are people at the department once you get there. Penn seems to be making the latter a bit difficult...

Yeah I've heard about this...what happened there, and do you have any more info about the situation now?

Yeah I've heard about this...what happened there, and do you have any more info about the situation now?

Well, when Paul Guyer left for Brown several years ago, I'm told that the reason for the move was monitary. But with Adrienne Martin leaving, I don't know. It just seems like they've lost several people recently, so they need a bunch of good hires. But, they have made one good hire, so hopefully that will help. I"ll be asking them about that this week. There is also a "very reasonable chance" that I will be admitted to Wisconsin, so at least I have options (hopefully!)...

Well, when Paul Guyer left for Brown several years ago, I'm told that the reason for the move was monitary. But with Adrienne Martin leaving, I don't know. It just seems like they've lost several people recently, so they need a bunch of good hires. But, they have made one good hire, so hopefully that will help. I"ll be asking them about that this week. There is also a "very reasonable chance" that I will be admitted to Wisconsin, so at least I have options (hopefully!)...

Hi Hopeful, 

1. What will you ask UPenn? Ask them who they have hired? 

2. How did you know that there is a "very reasonable chance" that you will get off the waitlist at Wisconsin? (PM too)

Finally heard back from UW-Milwaukee...was accepted! really excited to hear about the possibility of funding. I'm not sure how much they give or typically offer, but I am supposedly on a "short waiting list" for it!

first real acceptance so far...so this comes as a relief! (not to mention it was a top choice!)

Edited by Muska11

Finally heard back from UW-Milwaukee...was accepted! really excited to hear about the possibility of funding. I'm not sure how much they give or typically offer, but I am supposedly on a "short waiting list" for it!

first real acceptance so far...so this comes as a relief! (not to mention it was a top choice!)

Congratulations! If you have any questions about the program feel free to PM me.

Congratulations! 

Would you mind sharing what your AOI is? If not I understand. 

Moral psychology, mostly, but with broad interests in moral and political.

Congratulations! You didn't happen to ask if that was their last offer, did you?

I didn't, but my impression was that they are still admitting people. Good luck!

Congratulations! You didn't happen to ask if that was their last offer, did you?

Congratulations, alethic! Monadology, I turned down an offer from UCLA the day before this offer was made. I'm guessing they'll make more offers as others submit their decisions.

I didn't, but my impression was that they are still admitting people. Good luck!

Congratulations, alethic! Monadology, I turned down an offer from UCLA the day before this offer was made. I'm guessing they'll make more offers as others submit their decisions.

Thanks for the info!

I see you've narrowed down your prospects a lot! Any ideas where you will end up? 

I see you've narrowed down your prospects a lot! Any ideas where you will end up? 

Leaning towards MIT philosophy and Yale Law. USC is an interesting option, given my interests in metaethics and the philosophy of language. Harvard Law would be geographically convenient if I chose MIT philosophy, but Harvard seems to produce mostly corporate lawyers, and that's obviously not my intended career path. I'll have to visit some programs before making my final decision.

Edited by ModalFictionalist

Leaning towards MIT philosophy and Yale Law. USC is an interesting option, given my interests in metaethics and the philosophy of language. Harvard Law would be geographically convenient if I chose MIT philosophy, but Harvard seems to produce mostly corporate lawyers, and that's obviously not my intended career path. I'll have to visit some programs before making my final decision.

Very cool - sorry to pry, but it's fascinating to see someone with your options go through the decision process.