Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Someone was waitlisted for "philosophy of religion" phd at Chicago. Does anyone know if that's through the philosophy department or religion? It's kinda a weird thing.

I'm assuming it's through the Divinity School. It's not that uncommon for seminary/divinity school PhD programs for their to be a philosophy of religion track alongside theology, church history, NT, OT, etc.

Anyone else feel like this Friday has been going painfully slow? Is it just me? Am I losing sanity in the waiting process?

I was really expecting more from this week in general. If the admissions process is teaching me anything, it's that I shouldn't trust my intuitions.

Congrats on the Austin and Georgetown offers (and the Fordham waitlist). I applied to Fordham and Georgetown so I'll be pretty anxious this afternoon.

Hi guys! I'm brand new here, but I'll claim one of the Penn State acceptances and the Fordham waitlist.

Congrats to everyone accepted or waitlisted thus far! Still a ways to go...

Edited by Differance

Congrats Georgetown.

My phone has been quiet, I've had no news in a week plus, and I'm down to only 2 schools that have not released any decisions (according the TGC results, anyways), with now a handful of presumed rejections. This is fun. Looks like I'll be treated to the good old radio silence throughout the acceptance period, which will take me right into the late March slew of rejections that departments will finally 'get around to.' 

Gotta love that 4.0 MA GPA. Boy, my writing sample (from a first class honors thesis) must have either really sucked or really pissed some Kantian committee members off. 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

Hi guys! I'm brand new here, but I'll claim one of the Penn State acceptances and the Fordham waitlist.

Congrats to everyone accepted or waitlisted thus far! Still a ways to go...

Congrats!

By the way, my girlfriend just got off the phone with Georgetown. They said she was wait-listed for funding (which sounded based on her description to basically just be regular old wait-listed) and that the person who called her said he had a lot of people to call/email this afternoon.

Congrats to the Georgetown acceptance and the Fordham waitlist! Looking back, I should have applied to Georgetown. Please Fordham call me or send me an e-mail!!

The Fordham email (for me- waitlist) was pretty generic. Actually, it's kind of cruel because it says "Congrats on your acceptance to Fordham"! And then you go open the attached PDF and realize that you've been accepted for the MA but waitlisted for PhD.

Yeah.. thanks for that one, adcomm.

I'm hearing a lot of people talk about GRE scores. While these matter a little, at some point, they don't matter that much. A 4.0 versus a 6.0 on AW, for instance, means almost nothing in philosophy admissions. And though some departments use cut-offs, after an application makes that cut, the rest is about the reputation of the institutions attended, the strength of the letters, and the strength of the writing sample. I'm in a particularly good position to comment on this. I teach test-prep with a well-known, national brand in the industry.

Also, common sense suggests that the GRE can't be much of a factor beyond the cut-off. GRE numbers won't tell a committee whether one applicant with a great writing sample is going to be a better philosopher than another applicant with a great writing sample. Everybody knows that many great GRE scores were purchased not with strength of intellect but with time and money.

You get a reasonably high score, and the score becomes a non-factor. You don't get the reasonably high score, then your score becomes a liability.

Many admissions committees may think that GRE scores become a non-factor after initial cuts, but I doubt that's actually the case. All the research on racial and gender bias in hiring and admissions seems to show that expectations based on initial impressions of a candidate seriously color the way their file is interpreted. Anything that makes someone opening your file think of you as a "smart person" is going to help, because that's just the way human brains work. It seems likely that very high (as opposed to "passing") GRE scores will often do this.

I also have heard that one person who is often on the adcom at my school does take GRE scores very seriously. It seems plausible that some schools do give them significant weight.

Where did you hear that some schools use cut offs? If I remember correctly, everyone in the Leiter thread denied it.