Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I just received an acceptance email from Wyoming. I'm very excited! This is actually my top choice for MA programs. Very small, personal department with a strong focus on phil science. Still waiting to hear about funding. Very excited!

Congrats! 

My reason in choosing the MA programs which I applied to (excluding Warwick) was to choose programs which placed well into PhD programs. I didn't take faculty interest into consideration, hence I applied to NIU even though there's practically no one there interested in anything related to my interests. I applied to Warwick because I was applying for Fulbright money and would have liked to work with Ansell-Pearson for a year, but that fell through. Between GSU and U Houston, I would prefer to go to GSU much more than U Houston, but having been waitlisted, things are far from certain. I think I'd be okay with accruing a little debt to go to GSU, but I'm a bit hesitant to take on a deal of debt to go to U Houston and taking on the amount of debt necessary to attend Warwick at this point is pretty much a non-option for me. I really appreciate the advice though guys.

aduh,

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Warwick has a much stronger department in terms of most of the areas that I'm interested in, including post-Kantian philosophy. I would go if it were the economically sensible thing to do.

Just out of curiosity, does U Houston have much in terms of port-Kantian european philosophy? Just curious, really. I don't really know as it isn't a research focus of mine. I applied there mainly for phil mind and to do logic with Garson.

Whoever posted either of the NIU acceptances via the website...

Did the indicator stating "complete" switch to "accepted" today—or could it have changed when they sent out their other acceptances on tuesday? in other words, did you not check the website until today or had you been checking it and it changed today? 

I'm way too anxious about this one, haha.

Thanks!

The indicator switched to 'accepted' today. I called to verify everything was in order, being that the acceptances that were sent out today, apparently, didn't come with e-mails. They said to only expect a physical letter, which seemed strange to me. Why would they e-mail acceptances one day and "snail"-mail the next batch of acceptances?

The indicator switched to 'accepted' today. I called to verify everything was in order, being that the acceptances that were sent out today, apparently, didn't come with e-mails. They said to only expect a physical letter, which seemed strange to me. Why would they e-mail acceptances one day and "snail"-mail the next batch of acceptances?

Perhaps it has to do with funding. Doesn't NIU usually admit more students than it can fund? Maybe they email students who are receiving, or are likely to receive, TA-ships, and admit the rest by website notification and snail mail.

I just received an acceptance email from Wyoming. I'm very excited! This is actually my top choice for MA programs. Very small, personal department with a strong focus on phil science. Still waiting to hear about funding. Very excited!

Congrats!

Wow, I'm just really happy for anyone who got accepted anywhere. That must be a real comfort, and load off your minds and all that. I can't quite imagine the feeling at this time... hopefully within the next ten days or so. But it's pretty cool a lot of you are getting exactly what you wanted so we can't be too wrong about how we go about this stuff.

I feel like I'm guilty of thinking everyone's a guy unless their screenname indicates otherwise, if only because I know philosophy is dominated by men. As a woman, I'm not offended if, for example, I get "bro"ed, etc. on the threads.

I, honestly, assumed you female based on your name. 

BSG--In my opinion, if you are not offered funding, and so decide to take out a loan to finance the MA, and if the cost of their MA is not all that greater than what you'd pay to go to Houston or GSU, you should take the offer from Warwick. Pound for pound it is a much stronger department than both Houston and GSU. Houlgate, Brewer, Poellner, Ansell-Pearson, these are all fairly imminent scholars in the field. 

I have to disagree. I got a masters from St. Andrews, which is a pound for pound (;-P) better department than Warwick, and I found it of only a little use to the process. I think the UK/US divide is deeper than we think. Indeed, I was told by an Oxford DPhil that any but the top schools don't really know how to handle his degree and he finds himself hard pressed for work on this side of the pond (as the competition for those top-school spots is incredible on the leanest of days). In the end, one has to ask if the money you will spend on tuition and much higher living cost (given exchange rates) is worth an extended writing sample workshop with some few bonus points on an application (if any says some, or even to a detriment according to a few).

My reason in choosing the MA programs which I applied to (excluding Warwick) was to choose programs which placed well into PhD programs. I didn't take faculty interest into consideration, hence I applied to NIU even though there's practically no one there interested in anything related to my interests. I applied to Warwick because I was applying for Fulbright money and would have liked to work with Ansell-Pearson for a year, but that fell through. Between GSU and U Houston, I would prefer to go to GSU much more than U Houston, but having been waitlisted, things are far from certain. I think I'd be okay with accruing a little debt to go to GSU, but I'm a bit hesitant to take on a deal of debt to go to U Houston and taking on the amount of debt necessary to attend Warwick at this point is pretty much a non-option for me. I really appreciate the advice though guys.

aduh,

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Warwick has a much stronger department in terms of most of the areas that I'm interested in, including post-Kantian philosophy. I would go if it were the economically sensible thing to do.

I don't know if this will mean anything for you, but it's likely that I'll turn down my MA spot at Loyola. Maybe that will open something up.

I have to disagree. I got a masters from St. Andrews, which is a pound for pound (;-P) better department than Warwick, and I found it of only a little use to the process. I think the UK/US divide is deeper than we think. Indeed, I was told by an Oxford DPhil that any but the top schools don't really know how to handle his degree and he finds himself hard pressed for work on this side of the pond (as the competition for those top-school spots is incredible on the leanest of days). In the end, one has to ask if the money you will spend on tuition and much higher living cost (given exchange rates) is worth an extended writing sample workshop with some few bonus points on an application (if any says some, or even to a detriment according to a few).

This sounds right to me from what I've heard as well. The placement record of even a place like Oxford or Cambridge (in PhD to jobs) doesn't reflect as well as it should given either school's prestige, if one is concerned with employability in U.S. universities.

Yes, most Oxford grads find work at non-US schools, the majority in the UK I would say. This is partly because the majority of Oxford students are not from the US, but it is certainly true that the degrees obtained in the US vs. UK are very different. 

The vast majority of Oxford grad students are unfunded. I personally find this deeply unsettling and I would not recommend taking out loans to complete a degree here. But, as you can imagine, many of my peers disagree. 

I received an e-mail around 7pm indicating that I had been accepted to Western Michigan's MA program—full funding with graduate assistantship. Great news!

!

I'm anxiously waiting for news from WMU.  I'm surprised you got an offer this quickly; in past years wasn't it around mid-March on average?  Oh man, now I'm nervous!

Congrats, though!

Just out of curiosity, does U Houston have much in terms of port-Kantian european philosophy? Just curious, really. I don't really know as it isn't a research focus of mine. I applied there mainly for phil mind and to do logic with Garson.

Not really. Like I said, I chose MA programs based upon their placement records. That being said, I only applied to those that had money to offer. Hence, I didn't apply to Tufts despite its stellar placement record.