Do AdComms enjoy a touch of humor?

toby42

I'm applying to the ND MTS program and have just finished my SoP (which proved a bugger). Just for kicks, at the end of a fairly serious and detailed SoP, I hit return and typed in, "(Plus, I'm Irish)." I had zero intention of actually including this... until I thought - should I?  I still seriously doubt it, but I thought I'd ask!

Go Irish, btw.

I can't imagine a worse idea.

These things seem funny to us (I've typed similar things and then deleted them) because we are working on SOPs and emailing POIs and paying hundreds of dollars to apply for MAs/MDivs/MTS/PhDs that may not lead to anything. In light of all that, it seems hilarious because it's just as arbitrary as all the other reasons they might or might not accept us.

But to them, it would seem unprofessional, like you aren't taking the process seriously, or at worst like you're dismissing their program and their ability to choose candidates based on qualifications - or trying to relate your application to the horribly corrupt world of college sports - something no faculty want to hear about in SOPs for graduate degrees.

So, don't. And read this: http://www.edcentral.org/tar-heel-scandal-myth-university

Guest Gnome Chomsky

This question has been asked so many times it seems. Some people are really against it, some people don't care. I don't think it'll make or break you. I doubt an adcomm will be so uptight as to reject you on the grounds of a bad joke. You better hope you don't get one of those socially awkward people who doesn't understand sarcasm, otherwise it might confuse the hell out of them. All in all, I don't think it'll hurt. But I would say it's probably hard to be funny in a statement of purpose for grad school. Not an ideal environment to showcase your comedic skills. 

Always err on the side of professionalism. It's always a good idea to allow faculty to dictate the nature of a relationship, e.g. allowing them to be the ones to joke first, to invite you to use their first name when addressing them, etc. Since you don't know anyone on the adcom...

These things seem funny to us... because it's just as arbitrary as all the other reasons they might or might not accept us.

You know how something's funny at the time and then you sleep on it, wake up, and realized how dumb it really is?

...yeeeeah....

Ya'll gave some real good advice on the topic that (esp. after I slept on it) really confirmed my suspicions. Canis, you point out the real reason behind finding humor in it - well put. And marXian - most excellent advice to always err on the side of professionalism. 

Thanks, all.

Edited by toby42

I'd say it depends in the overall tone. One of the comments from a friend in the industry was that my SOP made him laugh out loud a few times - in the good way.

But much if what I write has that same irreverent tone throughout. It's not tacked on somewhere. Plus I'm applying for an MFA. I'd not expect such tone from someone in your field.

• 2 weeks later...

I give you my answer as the class clown (even in grad school): No! Even if you're funny, you have to consider that the people you're writing to might not have a sense of humor, or do, but after reading 50 apps are not in the mood. You might make one reader laugh, and leave the other 4 with a weird impression. You need to remember that this essay is in some sense a public document, given to an audience. I might joke with a professor in their office, but I wouldn't imagine trying out a joke on an audience of four or five of them at once.

Unless, of course, it was that really good one about a religion prof, a priest, and a rabbi walking into a bar.

A religion prof, a priest, and a rabbi walk into a bar. The bartendender says, "What is this, a joke?"