Admissions Results

Don't know if they are finished yet but they did start

That place is one of my two dream schools due to matching my research interests very well.. guess that's another one to give up on. That leaves UCLA as the only "reach" school that has yet to admit anyone and thus that I still keep some hope for.

That place is one of my two dream schools due to matching my research interests very well.. guess that's another one to give up on. That leaves UCLA as the only "reach" school that has yet to admit anyone and thus that I still keep some hope for.

What are the strengths of Columbia's stat department?

I got an acceptance from OSU

still waiting for Rice, UNC, TAMU and Duke... but I know there is little hope..

waiting for Duke is a good sign:) A lot of people got rejections already (including me).

This will probably just be ignored again but yes, the UMich grad chair told me that they are done with acceptances.

Still haven't heard anything, so I wonder if they're still finalizing a wait list, or maybe just evaluating PhD applicants who asked to be considered for the Master's program.

Muzili, persistent_homology,

I was told that they are still deciding on the funding opportunities. Didn't mention any date though. If any of you get any more details please post it here. Seems like OSU is my best bet now after all the rejections. Hope to hear good news from NCSU.

Interesting, someone posted an acceptance to Columbia stat in results

If anyone is curious about Columbia, It was an email from the department administrator, with a letter from the chair attached, and it included funding details

Edited by StatPhD2014

I see more Florida admits! Congrats! This is one of my top choices at this point. I would love to chat with you, so feel free to PM me. :)

This year seems especially brutal. Granted, in my case, I had little chance of cracking the top tier schools, so I should not have even bothered with some of the schools I applied to. But it seems as though it's rough for a lot of excellent students.

I see more Florida admits! Congrats! This is one of my top choices at this point. I would love to chat with you, so feel free to PM me. :)

This year seems especially brutal. Granted, in my case, I had little chance of cracking the top tier schools, so I should not have even bothered with some of the schools I applied to. But it seems as though it's rough for a lot of excellent students.

I did hear on this forum for biostats there were more applications this year, but was this year that different than previous years for statistics students

I did hear on this forum for biostats there were more applications this year, but was this year that different than previous years for statistics students

No idea, actually, haha. I just meant that the competition has been very brutal, so a lot of students who have excellent grades, test scores, LORs, etc. are being rejected from places they could have more "easily" gotten into in the past. I was also inferring that competition may be a bit worse in recent years because of the funding situations at a lot of universities in recent years.

For instance, at the place where I did my Master's, there were only a few positions for funded statistics TAs (I think two or three), so they admitted very few students for the PhD program in statistics (they essentially kept a waitlist and would only admit people from it whom they were sure would seriously attend... so they only sent out very few offers initially and would admit people in many, many small rounds after that if people were declining offers). I see that a lot of public universities are offering PhDs with no funding too, which does not bode well.

Still haven't heard anything, so I wonder if they're still finalizing a wait list, or maybe just evaluating PhD applicants who asked to be considered for the Master's program.

They don't have a formal waitlist, they keep a number of applicants on an informal waitlist just incase something drastic happens like almost all of their accepted students decline their offers

Maybe this is of interest to some of you, I scraped the data from the NRC rankings and averaged the S, R and Research rankings both high and low. The plot is of the top 25 scoring schools.

If anyone wants the data just pm me.

Edited by persistent_homology

They don't have a formal waitlist, they keep a number of applicants on an informal waitlist just incase something drastic happens like almost all of their accepted students decline their offers

Right, that's what I meant, maybe they're deciding who to keep on that informal list. In any case, if I don't hear anything by next week I'm going to contact them, but I'm assuming I'll get a rejection pretty soon.

Maybe this is of interest to some of you, I scraped the data from the NRC rankings and averaged the S, R and Research rankings both high and low. The plot is of the top 25 scoring schools.

If anyone wants the data just pm me.

Just FYI, the 'Statistics and Probability' rankings are missing basically all of the top biostat programs. They are listed under 'Public Health'.