Mentioning ADD in the SOP?

Should this be mentioned or avoided?

My undergrad GPA is 3.3 while my master's is 4.0. I want to apply to PhD programs in biophysics. The difference is GPA is related to dealing with untreated ADD during undergrad which is now treated. Should I mention the ADD in the SOP or avoid it? Thanks for the advice!

Should this be mentioned or avoided?

My undergrad GPA is 3.3 while my master's is 4.0. I want to apply to PhD programs in biophysics. The difference is GPA is related to dealing with untreated ADD during undergrad which is now treated. Should I mention the ADD in the SOP or avoid it? Thanks for the advice!

Well, it's up to you, but I would not suggest putting an emphasize on it especially since it is no longer an issue! You have a 4.0 for your Master's and I'd think that would pull more weight anyway. 3.3 isn't horrible either. Plus, if you have other positives on your CV then it won't matter... Now, on the other hand, I can see discussing it as a personal accomplishment, something you overcame...

Okay, I don't think I'm much help here! LOL

Thanks for the advice guys...

My intention in mentioning the ADD would be to explain my low undergrad gpa. I realize that 3.3 isnt horrible but it doesnt reflect my abilities either. I agree that it may be useless to mention that I could have done better than a 3.3 since that it obvious by my 4.0 grad gpa. I'll take the advice and leave it out. I think that my research experience is definitely the strongest area of my application so I will focus on that in the SOP instead.

You got a 4.0 in your master's program, so I'd thinking your undergrad work isn't something you have to spend time explaining. You've obviously corrected whatever problems you've had.

I have ADD and epilepsy. I mentioned neither of these things in my materials for two reasons: 1) irrelevant (my GPA was worse than yours), and 2) this can put an unfair burden on the adcomm because they aren't allowed to consider disabilities as a means of deciding who gets in or out, but once the disabilities are brought up, they can't be un-brought up. To be perfectly clear: I do not think it's wrong to bring these up in the SOP, or unethical, either. I just think that it was wrong for me, personally.

I would suggest that you speak with one of your professors from the MA program for their opinion. They've sat on adcomms and they can tell you how important it is to talk about your pretty good but less than stellar undergrad GPA.

If you think it is relevant, I'd only mention it in vague terms (I overcame some adversity in the form of a learning disability during my sophomore year...). Do not dwell on it. I would also suggest not calling it by name -- ADHD, despite being widely and almost universally accepted in the psychiatric community, has become a stand-in for all kinds of evil for a lot of well-meaning people. You might as well not take the chance that some or all of the adcom has such a bias and thinks you just stimulant-ed yourself through your master's program.

I am strongly against mentioning certain mental disabilities in your SOP, especially those with negative stereotypes. 

Learning disabled?  Sure, go ahead if you can show excellent work

Mood disorder?  Skip it

Thought disorder?  Skip that one too