GRE troubles for Anthropology 2014 Applicants

Daisy123

Hello  everyone! I know its acually too late for me  to consider this, but now that i am WAITING for results, i am going insane.
The weakest aspect of my PhD anthropology applications was my GREs. I sent in two scores
- Q- 680 V-490 and then Q-148 and V- 158....i know...take one hit to the other...If i could have just combined the best of both efforts it would have been so much better :(

So as you can see, BAD . I want to know, will this eliminate all my chances of getting in ? Otherwise, i have ALOT of experience , a GPA 3.58 (MA) and i was a good fir for most of the schools i applied to:

Sony Brook , Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, UCLA, Stanford, and Arizona (I realize some of these are impossible, but i had to try because i was  a great fit). 

Any opinions or taughts  would be greatly appreciated

A lot of schools have a 'magic number' for combined GRE scores.  Of course, some don't care at all and judge your application on more relevant criteria.  They don't always post it online, but you could call to ask.  I called a few departments while working on applications and they were all happy to give me the target combined score.  Even if you don't hit the mark, I wouldn't lose hope, since I personally know someone who got into the program of their choice last year with GRE scores below the school's supposed cut off because they had experience, great LORs, etc.

I got pretty much the same score as you - even after re-taking the exam.  I definitely don't feel like it was a true measure of my capabilities and found it really frustrating.  I don't do particularly well on standardized tests.  

That being said, I applied anyway.  I've been told that GRE scores are used more to help qualify people for funding than anything else - and the score itself is less important than being in a general "score range."  I met with a potential graduate advisor who told me that my score was just at the cut-off point and would still qualify me for funding and admittance (granted, this is not at a top ten or an ivy school - most of which have more stringent requirements for GRE).  

Remember, your GRE score is considered as part of a holistic package.  It's likely not going to be the only factor that keeps you out.  If you really are a good fit, your SOP, GPA, and letters of recommendation are going to be the most important factors.

Good luck!

Strud- I disagree. The first round of apps gets discarding by a secretary who sole job is to look at both the gre and gpa and if either are too low they get discarded

I have to say this is patently untrue for many programs.  I know for a fact that a lot of faculty are against this very practice (throwing out applications because of cutoffs) and that in their departments they make sure that all applications are considered holistically by the committee, even if it is only a brief consideration.  Maybe this is an issue directly related to funding and the size of the program, or it has to do with growing resistance in humanities and social science to ETS, but it is safe to say that not all programs have someone sifting through files and chucking ones with low GRE and GPA. 

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

anthropologygeek - I have heard this about GRE scores as well, but again it's my understanding that it's a generalized "score range."  I.e. if their cutoff is a 325, they're saying that they want you to have a score close to that.  You won't likely be disqualified if you get a 323 or a 322.  Most programs I applied to have no specified GRE cut-off.  The one that did had a cut-off of 295.  Which is quite a low threshold to meet. 

Again, I do think it's possible that some ivy leagues or hyper-competitive top ten schools may have more strict guidelines when it comes to GRE scores.  But like NOWAY said, I doubt they are throwing out applications.  On the other hand, most programs DO have a strict GPA cut-off of 3.0, and it's my understanding that THIS is what is used to initially qualify applicants (i.e. if you have a GPA below 3.0, your application will likely not be considered for admission).    

Both of the POIs that I've spoken with directly said that they don't care about GRE scores. I think admissions into a lot of programs has more to do with personal rapport and similar research interests between you and your prospective advisor. It may not be like this at every university but the two places that I applied (UT Austin & Harvard) made it seem like GRE scores were the least important part of the application.

I was told by a prof where I did my undergrad that any score under a certain amount wasn't even considered, discarded by the Intake Admin. He appreciated this method because it wasn't too stringent and it helped with the review process. And if this prof had an applicant in mind, he would pull their application early, before the GRE culling. Their magic score was 1200 in the old system. It's not published ANYWHERE on their site and never disclosed to applicants, but I believe this is a very common way of dealing with a large number of applicants. Perhaps in years when the applicant numbers are low, they can afford the time and effort to comb through every application. 

I was told by a prof where I did my undergrad that any score under a certain amount wasn't even considered, discarded by the Intake Admin. He appreciated this method because it wasn't too stringent and it helped with the review process. And if this prof had an applicant in mind, he would pull their application early, before the GRE culling. Their magic score was 1200 in the old system. It's not published ANYWHERE on their site and never disclosed to applicants, but I believe this is a very common way of dealing with a large number of applicants. Perhaps in years when the applicant numbers are low, they can afford the time and effort to comb through every application. 

so great...i have no chance :( ...but can you explain that part about the prof pulling the applications out before the GRE culling? ...how would that happen? 

Well, I've got 154 Verbal and 162 Quantitative, and my GPA is below 3. But I just heard from a POI that he was quite impressed by my application and my qualifications and he's gonna vote YES for me and he's quite positive about my admittance. Maybe it's because I'm an international applicant, but don't know. And I haven't yet got any admission offer.

But I guess it depends on the uni. They all have their own criteria and the professors I talked to mostly said GRE is only one criteria among several and it does not have a huge affect compared to the statement and the recommendation letters. But yea, we'll see..

Hrdy- some people don't like knowing the truth. Every time I say this happens people start whining when I'm just being honest. Thank you for backing me up

I really think it depends.  I know for a fact this does not happen at at least two different R1 programs. Obviously it is safer to score above a 310 (the new 1200, I hear) but there are definitely places that aren't tossing out applications based solely on scores.

I do know with the old gre the university wouldn't allow acceptance with under a 1000 unlike special circumstance even if the department wanted you. Alot of universities had 1100 and then alot had 1200 with some at 1250. Mind you when I cared about it the only gre was the old scoring system.

so great...i have no chance :( ...but can you explain that part about the prof pulling the applications out before the GRE culling? ...how would that happen? 

#1 I don't think you're out of it. It depends on where you applied, if you've got what they're looking for, FIT, etc... This was just one example of one school. 

#2 If you had a relationship with the professor and he wanted to review your app, regardless of your scores, he would let the Admin know and she would pull it out of the pile for him to review before it was dumped due to lower GRE scores. At that point, he would make a decision about whether or not he was going to go to bat for your application based on everything he knew. 

• 1 month later...

Have you heard back from any programs with your scores? I got really mediocre GRE scores (158V, 142Q, 4W), and have so far been accepted into 2 programs. One of which said they really do care about GRE scores, and all others telling me they don't care about GRE scores (still waiting to hear back from 2 more). 

Have you heard back from any programs with your scores? I got really mediocre GRE scores (158V, 142Q, 4W), and have so far been accepted into 2 programs. One of which said they really do care about GRE scores, and all others telling me they don't care about GRE scores (still waiting to hear back from 2 more). 

i did not get accepted anywhere....my only prospect is being wait listed at the Cotsen institute at UCLA but realistically, i dont even think anyone will reject their offers. so congratulations to you! i hope you are going to go to a program that will make you really happy. Next year, i am planning to apply to UNLA , and i wanted to ask you if thats the school that cared about the GREs?

i did not get accepted anywhere....my only prospect is being wait listed at the Cotsen institute at UCLA but realistically, i dont even think anyone will reject their offers. so congratulations to you! i hope you are going to go to a program that will make you really happy. Next year, i am planning to apply to UNLA , and i wanted to ask you if thats the school that cared about the GREs?

Did you mean UNLV? They were the ones that cared about my GRE scores. However, I visited the campus and met with everyone there, and had a glowing recommendation from an anthropologist they admire and respect, and I think that really helped my application. I'm pretty sure my POIs fought for me (which kind of makes me sad because I'll likely be declining their offer). 

yes, i meant UNLV, sorry! OH well that sucks for me...i guess i better go and visit them than. i think i am hearing this advice from a 1000 people it must have some validity. I also want to apply to the notra dame university as there is an POIthere with exactly the same interests as me and we already spoke.  So for UNLV, how did you know they placed alot of value on it? what was their cut off? It really sucks that thats the one you want to attend but its a masters ....could you not do the MA and hten go on to a PhD there? 

yes, i meant UNLV, sorry! OH well that sucks for me...i guess i better go and visit them than. i think i am hearing this advice from a 1000 people it must have some validity. I also want to apply to the notra dame university as there is an POIthere with exactly the same interests as me and we already spoke.  So for UNLV, how did you know they placed alot of value on it? what was their cut off? It really sucks that thats the one you want to attend but its a masters ....could you not do the MA and hten go on to a PhD there? 

Who do you like at Notre Dame? My POIs were James McKenna (my FAVORITE anthropologist), and Smith-Oka. That was my top choice.. I really, really, wanted to go there. 

UNLV told me they wanted GRE scores to be above the 50th percentile (mine were for Verbal and Writing, but not for math). I took a risk and didn't retake my GRE, letting the rest of my application make up for my lack of stellar scores (good GPA, LOR, research assistantship, teaching fellow, professional presentations and posters, honors, scholarships, awards, community service, field school....) 

I could do the MA and go to do the PhD, but would have to reapply and it's not guaranteed. I don't want to be SOL with getting a PhD. Also, I wanted to move somewhere, where I can be there for a while, since I have kids who could use at least a little stability. 

I will apply to work with Dr. Kujit ( he is an expert in the Near East) . I heard about both of your POI  - they are known in their field right? 

I am in the same boat as you with the GRE's but i dont have public conferences presentations, or ANYTHING like that under my belt. What i do have is 4-5 years of filed school and  t research (but that research is in CA archaeology). So....this is my situation and idont really know what i can do next year to make it better. 

This PhD was my escape from my living situation here, and i understand what you mean about your kids- i have a 3  year old and shes the one getting the most affected by this whole thing