Low GPA, best course of action?

snk24

I, like so many others, didn't really take my studies seriously at first. When I first started my degree, I majored in something I had absolutely no interest in because I thought it would land me a good job. I hated every minute of it and it showed in my GPA. After 3 years of struggling, my GPA was ABYSMAL. After changing my major to psychology and discovering how much I loved it and how interesting it was to me, my GPA rose.

This puts me in the following spot:

Cumulative GPA: 2.86

Psychology GPA: 3.91

I don't have research experience or publications, so I know I have virtually zero shot of getting into a clinical doctorate at this point. However, I graduated university debt free and am not adverse to doing an unfunded master's degree (though, I'd prefer a funded one!) Is this the best course of action, to focus solely on master's programs? I've not taken the GRE, so I can't speculate on what my score might be, though I do have plenty of time to dedicate to study. Would it help if I took the psychology GRE subject test? I'm guessing it wouldn't make a difference since I have a breadth of upper-division psychology courses on my transcript and my psychology GPA is quite high.

To get into a reputable grad program (MA/MS or PhD), you need to take the GRE. You can try for a Master's program, but with a GPA of <3.0, it's going to be tough; you'd need to ace the GREs. A Psychology GRE score will not strengthen your app at places that say they don't look at the Psych GRE; really, Universities that say they don't look at the Psych GRE mean just that.

I do think a Master's will be the best route, with a few caveats: it will need to be from a solid brick-and-mortar University, not online; and you need to do a Thesis, to get hands-on research experience.A solid grad GPA and research experience can help mitigate the low undergrad GPA if you choose to apply to PhD programs once you have a Master's degree.

I would also recommend getting some research experience while you prepare for the GRE. I think you might have an excellent shot at getting in to an MA/MS program if you really demonstrate that you're enthusiastic about continuing with psychology. 

Is there any way for you to contact a professor from your undergrad / a local university or college and join their lab while you prepare for the GRE? 

Also, as far as Masters programs go, two very good (and fully funded) ones are at the College of William & Mary, and at Wake Forest  University. So be sure to browse those programs, among others. :)

Edited by SocialConstruction

I would also recommend getting some research experience while you prepare for the GRE. I think you might have an excellent shot at getting in to an MA/MS program if you really demonstrate that you're enthusiastic about continuing with psychology. 

Is there any way for you to contact a professor from your undergrad / a local university or college and join their lab while you prepare for the GRE? 

Also, as far as Masters programs go, two very good (and fully funded) ones are at the College of William & Mary, and at Wake Forest  University. So be sure to browse those programs, among others. :)

I do think that's a good idea, the only caveat being that I no longer live in the town where I went to university and the schools that are local private liberal arts universities. I'm not sure how many opportunities would exist in those places, haha. Maybe if I shoot an email to a few faculty at those schools and offer to do it for free they'd be willing, but I'm not even sure exactly how much extensive research is undertaken in these types of institutions.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Edited by snk24

Or, instead of a Master's, you could try getting a research position in a lab either part time or full time. This way you at the very least aren't spending money, and quite possibly could even get paid. After I graduated I became a project coordinator in a psychology lab where my time is split between coordinating grants for my boss, and doing research with the grad students and postdocs. I am really happy I went this route because I have met so many people in the field, and will also leave here with quite a few publications. If you have questions, or want more info, please feel free to PM me. 

Best of luck! 

Oh, also, I have a friend who just started the Master's program at Wake Forrest, and it seems like a good spot. 

Villanova's is also funded.

Actually, it's not officially funded, but they offer a decent number of tuition remissions and full- and half-stipends to the incoming class. But not to everybody.

Also check out Drexel, and BC.

I forgot to mention a rather particular peculiarity of my situation. I actually have two BAs. The first B.A is the one with a chronically low GPA from one school. The second BA, in psychology and from a different school, contains a much higher GPA that borders around 3.8 (calculated on all my coursework from that institution as well as the credits that transferred from my first B.A). Consequently, all of my bad grades are contained in the first degree. The 2.8 I quoted in the original post was my own attempt at forming a cumulative average based on the two degrees. How is this normally handled? Was I correct in averaging the two together? I know I have to report transcripts from all institutions attended. I just don't know how they handle it on their end in a case like this.

More accurate picture:

Psychology degree (Summa Cum Laude distinction, ironically): 3.8

Psychology major: 3.9

Last 60 credits: 3.8

Average of first degree + psychology degree: 2.8

Both universities are regionally accredited brick and mortar institutions.

Edited by snk24

I'm guessing this will actually help you, especially if the psych degree was second. I would also stress this path in your essay, so they know how to interpret all the different transcripts. I would see this as being significantly  more favorable than in the original situation you presented.

However, if they do ask you to calculate GPAs on your applications (many do), you'll have to talk to each school individually. Averaging them is not doing you any favors.

I'm guessing this will actually help you, especially if the psych degree was second. I would also stress this path in your essay, so they know how to interpret all the different transcripts. I would see this as being significantly  more favorable than in the original situation you presented.

However, if they do ask you to calculate GPAs on your applications (many do), you'll have to talk to each school individually. Averaging them is not doing you any favors.

Thanks! 

The psych degree is second.

You'll need to consult with each school with how they will handle 2 bachelors.

Thanks,

I'll certainly do that. Would it be best to contact the department or the graduate studies office?

The department's admissions contact or in some cases, your POIs. I'd suggest contacting the department's administrative personnell first and if you need more information, the POI.

I didn't say this in my first post but probably the best answer to your question is: research experience.