GRE Scores

I have a quick question, I retook my GRE a month ago and did the best I have ever done on the writing section only, my other scores are really low... My overall GRE score is fairly low too but my question is should I send my scores from my most recent test along with my higher scores only for the writing portion score or should I just leave it and not send at all except for my older scores? I can't decide. 

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a test prep book, that's what I did. Then work through the problems. When you know the material well, then take some full practice tests (that's right, all three hours), timed. That last part really messed me up - the first time I took it I knew the material but hadn't practiced with it timed and ran out of time on one math section, to the point that I just bubbled C for the last six or so questions in the section...

I used the Princeton Review book which came with two online practice tests.  I also bought an extra Princeton Review book with just practice problems and did a ton of those.  

From what I've heard, the explanations in Magoosh are better but I did manage a 155 Quant, despite not having studied Math in a looong time, so P.R. clearly worked for me.  The best part of the practice test was the feedback you get on the essays after you submit them.  From it, I understood exactly what they were looking for.

My thoughts? Try a test prep book first, because it's relatively inexpensive. See what kind of scores you're getting by the end of it. If they're lower than you want, feel free to try a class or magoosh or whatever else you think might help. If they're at a level you're comfortable with, you've saved a bunch of money by not paying for a class/web subscription.

I would retake it, yes. When I retook the GRE my quantitative score went up five points, which is pretty nice, and if something similar happened for you it'd bring you closer to a school's average admit scores. Studying and taking timed practice tests is what helped me, as I said.

You could also work on getting some shadowing experience; although your extracurriculars are already good, it can't hurt to beef them up even more as that's one of the few areas that we as applicants have complete control over and can actually improve. And maybe apply to some less competitive places - I'm not familiar with all the schools on your list, but many of them seem quite competitive.

Edited by autismadvocate

what schools are less competitive?

If you look on ASHA EdFind there are many programs that accept a higher percentage than others, or accept lower GPA/GRE scores. I applied to schools with >35% acceptance rates and stats that were similar to mine. These programs are less competitive than programs that accept <10% of applicants and/or only accept 3.8-4.0 GPA, in my opinion.

• 3 months later...