Wenner Gren 2014

Nrrrdgrrrl

A practical tip for those who are revising and re-submitting: don't ask for any money for transcription in your budget, as it's likely to be denied unless you're doing a very explicitly linguistic project that absolutely cannot be done without transcription. I had to take transcription out of my budget because my project is more socio-cultural than linguistic. I also asked for funding to buy NVivo, and didn't get that either. No hard feelings, because I'm still getting plenty of money to do my project and I know the WG people are probably just trying to spread funds around to as many people as possible. I'm just letting you know that it's probably not worth it to ask for funding for either transcription or NVivo.

This is a really yucky process, I couldn't even write a grant the first time I tried let alone submit. Grants can make you feel like you don't have a project, at least they made me feel like that. Anyway after failing miserably at attempting this the first time I looked at a bunch of grants and figured they were all really just the same grant masquerading as different projects, which is good because it means it actually has not that much to do with your work. I don't have general advice, or not more than stuff folks already probably know, more like a proposal format. I'm happy to share that format with anyone who wants. Obviously I'm not suggesting this is the only way to write a grant that will get funded, only that this is a sort of script we devised in our desperation at dealing with this horrible process.

Good luck all...

hooray for tips!  I just finished working through your proposal, Far_to_go...and I'm not surprised they funded you...very interesting stuff!

Aww thanks! I'm a bit surprised they funded me - after all the rejections I got, it was difficult to hang on to the conviction that other people might find my work valuable and interesting. Getting the Wenner-Gren is such a huge boost of external validation, it's making me giddy :-)

This is a really yucky process, I couldn't even write a grant the first time I tried let alone submit. Grants can make you feel like you don't have a project, at least they made me feel like that. Anyway after failing miserably at attempting this the first time I looked at a bunch of grants and figured they were all really just the same grant masquerading as different projects, which is good because it means it actually has not that much to do with your work. I don't have general advice, or not more than stuff folks already probably know, more like a proposal format. I'm happy to share that format with anyone who wants. Obviously I'm not suggesting this is the only way to write a grant that will get funded, only that this is a sort of script we devised in our desperation at dealing with this horrible process.

Good luck all...

Yes, share this magical format!  :-D

I'm a bit late to the game here, but congrats to all those who were awarded and good luck to those who are revising!

If anyone is looking for a successful proposal to look at I'm willing to share mine, just PM me. 

To those who have received W-G along with other grants, how are you managing budget revisions? Any advice?

Ok, I'm feeling a little paranoid today.  Has anyone received a definitive acceptance yet? I know they usually come in the mail about a week later, so it should be any day now. 

I received the "no need to reapply" email last Wednesday and immediately wrote back confirming my mailing address and my (lack of) funding status. I received a reply the same day saying that they "hope to be making final decisions by May 1st. If we have any further questions we’ll contact you shortly."

I haven't heard anything since. I don't think there is any cause to worry, and I suspect we will get our final notifications sometime this week. 

Think of it this way, if there was any way Wenner-Gren wasn't going to at least partially fund you this cycle, they would tell you that you are still in the running but to be safe you should be prepared to resubmit on May 1st. They would not tell you not to reapply for the May 1st deadline. At this point, I suspect they are just figuring out the exact distribution amounts for each grantee. 

Hey, fellow revisionists...anyone else SUPER HATE this soul-crushing, dream-killing process?  I think I hate my own project now, too!

I definitely went through a few cycles of feeling like that. Hang in there, Nrrrdgrrrl and other re-applicants! 

I got my comments back on my rejected NSF proposal, but I haven't read them yet - no need to increase my anxiety level before I know exactly what's up with the Wenner-Gren.

Hi everyone!

So grateful this forum exists!

far_to_go, you mention not getting funding for NVivo from Wenner-Gren. Is it correct to assume then that you've already received your funding package detailing the support they are giving you? If so, would you mind maybe walking us through the process from getting the first email from Wenner-Gren (was it a "no need to apply" or a special "congratulations! we will fund you" email?) to getting the final package. Or did you come by the no-NVivo info otherwise? It seems like the post-notification period is quite the black box! 

I feel like I have to constantly remind myself that funding or no funding, the process and outcome of these applications is not an assessment of me as a person!

Oh but the stress...!!

Oh to remember that who I am is not defined by how I do in this.

One week until this next deadline.  Do you guys think that May has fewer total applications?  I'm curious about this...

Any new/first-time applicants found us yet?  Or is it just the same old people on here...?

Hi blue_mango! This is going to be a bit long, but I'm going to outline exactly what happened during the notification phase for me. As always, this is only my experience and may vary significantly from that of others! Correspondence from WG is in blue.

Morning of April 16: I receive the following e-mail, subject line "Wenner-Gren Application." 

Dear far_to_go:

We are writing to you regarding your pending application for a Dissertation Fieldwork Grant, which we are still in the process of reviewing.  Before we can complete the review of your research proposal, we will need to have further information from you on your budget and on the status of your funding applications to other agencies.

Please provide a full academic justification for the request transcription costs.  The statement that you are using nVivo is not enough.  Are you doing linguistic analysis?  To what end?  Please explain.  Also, why are you requesting a full  nVivo license and not a student license?  Please also let us know whether you have been notified of the results of your other applications, or the date by which you expect to have this information.  If you have received other awards, indicate whether there is any overlap between budget items to be covered by those sources and your budget request submitted to Wenner-Gren.  If you've received another grant and there is an overlap or any change in the budget request to Wenner-Gren, you will need to submit a separate revised budget itemization, with the overlapping items removed, for the full amount requested.  Please include an explanation for any changes.  Be sure to inform of us of any changes in your contact information at this time.  The address we have for you is noted above: please update it, if it has changed.

Please note: without a correct mailing address, your notification of our final decision will be delayed.

Please send your response to the above questions via e-mail as soon as possible, to this e-mail address, which is being checked frequently by our staff during the next few weeks.  Alternatively, if you wish to respond by fax, our number is listed below.  Your application is still pending but we expect to make final decisions in the next few weeks and have all applicants notified by May 1, 2014.  If you haven't heard byMay 1, we ask that you contact us at that time.  There is no need for you to reapply for the May 1 deadline.   We prefer you make your response via e-mail, but if you have further questions about this request for information, please contact us at the number listed below.   We look forward to receiving your response as soon as possible. 

Sincerely yours,

Mary Beth Moss

Evening of April 16: After consulting with my advisor, I e-mail them back with the requested information about why I'm asking for NVivo and transcription money. 

Morning of April 17: I get the following e-mail: 

Thank you for your quick response. We hope to be making final decisions by May 1st. If we have any further questions we’ll contact you shortly.

All the best,

Mark Ropelewski

Afternoon of April 17: Following e-mail from WG

Because the Foundation does not fund transcription costs the reviewers have asked that you remove this item from your budget.

Additionally the reviewers have also asked that you remove the nVivo software from your budget as well.

Once we receive your revised budget we’ll be sure to contact you to confirm receipt.

Best,

Mark

Morning of April 18: I send them my revised budget. Took out the two categories they said they wouldn't fund and re-calculated the total.

Afternoon of April 18: E-mail from them acknowledging that they've received my revised budget and will let me know if they need any other info. 

April 19-April 24: Agonized waiting, abrupt alternation between excitement and paranoia, desperate attempts to distract myself, etc. 

April 24: Letter arrives via postal mail at my mailing address in the US. Since I'm not in the US at the moment, my roommate e-mailed me to let me know that the letter arrived; she opened it to confirm that it is, in fact, an award letter. She'll scan and send it to me sometime today, I hope. I will rest much easier once I've actually seen the letter with my own eyes! Apparently there are some documents that I'll have to sign and send back, along with some documentation of things like my IRB approval and research visa. 

Congrats, again!  It sounds like they are really quick and efficient when it comes to getting the logistics figured out once the awards are decided...which is awesome!

It's very encouraging to hear from success!

Question for funded people: W-G website states that bibliography should be less than 10 pages...how long was yours?  In narrowing down my focus, I'm cutting out quite a few of my sources, but I don't want my bib to end up ridiculously short!  HELP!

a long biblio doesnt necessarily help, nor does a short one necessarily hurt. i dont think it's something to stress over. focus on the meat of the app, unless you got any specific comments about your bib

Thanks, people.  Mine is about 4 right now; I just didn't know if their "use all the space allowed" rule extended to the bibliography...

Hopefully not!  I don't want to add fluff...that is always one of my problems.

just submitted my revised proposal, got the copies in the mail, and am moving on to another grant due tomorrow.

See you all in a couple of months for first-round notifications.

GOOD LUCK, ALL!

Quick question for people who have won before. Does anyone have any advice on routing the money individually, or routing the money through the institution. I know everyone's tax situation is different but I have heard some tax horror stories around my department. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I applied for the WG dissertation fieldwork grant for Nov. 2013 cycle. I made it to the second round on Feb 14, 2014, then received an email asking for funding clarification on March 27th but then haven't heard or received anything since. The email from Feb 14 says I should hear back in three to four months. I was wondering if anyone out there has received news past the second round. Thanks

You should probably contact them. I heard positive news by email on April 16th, and got a snail mail letter about a week letter. Other students in my department heard their news (both positive and negative) around the same time. 

Thanks Xavi6. I'm not sure why I haven't heard from them yet. Maybe there are different timelines. Even if I don't get funding, I'm looking forward to receiving feedback. Congratulations on getting funding.

• 4 weeks later...