PHILOSOPHY: Predicted results timeline

ianfaircloud

Sorry -- this is a repost in the 'Philosophy' area...

I've posted a timeline of when I predict results from 44 philosophy departments.  The predictions are based on the last two admissions cycles.  There's some guesswork, too.

See faircloudblog.wordpress.com.

http://faircloudblog...cted-results-2/

I've posted a timeline of when I predict results from 44 philosophy departments.  The predictions are based on the last two admissions cycles.  There's some guesswork, too.

very interesting. thanks!

Thanks.  And the original post, for reference: http://faircloudblog.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/when-to-expect-results/

Maybe someone who has more time could put together a list of 2011, 2010, etc., though I think the further back one goes, the less relevant the information...

Very cool! Do you have information regarding what days of the week were most common? Was it almost universally M/F, or was there a lot of variation? 

Good question.  I recall a plurality of releases on Fridays.  Mondays were common.  Tuesdays and Thursdays weren't as common, if I recall correctly.  Some people post results later in the evening, and the results will appear as Saturdays or Thursdays, though the department likely contacted those people on Fridays or Wednesdays, respectively.  If you've ever posted on the results page, you'll notice that the page operates on UTC time.  So a post at 7:00 p.m. Eastern on Jan. 23 will appear as Jan. 24.

Looks like OSU is first out--someone posted an acceptance, which seems plausible. I'm guessing Duke will be next. I think that Riverside will be later this year, since their application deadline was three weeks later than last year's. Good luck, everyone!

Some people post results later in the evening, and the results will appear as Saturdays or Thursdays, though the department likely contacted those people on Fridays or Wednesdays, respectively.  If you've ever posted on the results page, you'll notice that the page operates on UTC time.  So a post at 7:00 p.m. Eastern on Jan. 23 will appear as Jan. 24.

The date added to the decisions page is on UCT time, but that's separate from the date of notification... They're in two separate columns. Look at the form. You put in the date of notification yourself.

Edited by Table

You raise a good point.  I guess I'm assuming that a lot of folks don't bother entering the separate date of notification.  The default date of notification is the date of the entry.  But yes, there's an important difference.  When I went through the list, I looked at the dates of notification.  Usually (though not always) the dates are the same.

You raise a good point.  I guess I'm assuming that a lot of folks don't bother entering the separate date of notification.  The default date of notification is the date of the entry.  But yes, there's an important difference.  When I went through the list, I looked at the dates of notification.  Usually (though not always) the dates are the same.

Are your stats serious? Hot damn! 

Some impressive stats there. But what's with your AOI? Are you interested in normative ethics, naturalized accounts of normativity, "value" areas of philosophy, absolutely everything that has anything to do with normativity, or what?

Some impressive stats there. But what's with your AOI? Are you interested in normative ethics, naturalized accounts of normativity, "value" areas of philosophy, absolutely everything that has anything to do with normativity, or what?

Thanks, re: the stats.  But stats aren't everything.  I applied with very similar stats a few years ago and was rejected by a long list of programs.  The whole package is important, including the undergraduate institution and the names on the letters of recommendation.  But yeah, I have very nice numbers, and I'm proud of them.

I'm trying to be somewhat anonymous on this site.  I study 'normative' philosophy, as opposed to metaphysics or epistemology.  Quite a bit falls under the umbrella of normative philosophy.  Ethics, metaethics, social-political.  Questions in feminist philosophy and philosophy of race.  Legal philosophy.  Sometimes people include philosophy of action under the heading of normative philosophy.

I believe that it's wise not to be too specific on your statement of purpose, with regarding to areas of interest.  For one thing, many of us are young and relatively new to philosophy.  I've only spent about five years in philosophy.  So of course I expect that my interests will continue to evolve.

Thanks, re: the stats.  But stats aren't everything.  I applied with very similar stats a few years ago and was rejected by a long list of programs.  The whole package is important, including the undergraduate institution and the names on the letters of recommendation.  But yeah, I have very nice numbers, and I'm proud of them.

I'm trying to be somewhat anonymous on this site.  I study 'normative' philosophy, as opposed to metaphysics or epistemology.  Quite a bit falls under the umbrella of normative philosophy.  Ethics, metaethics, social-political.  Questions in feminist philosophy and philosophy of race.  Legal philosophy.  Sometimes people include philosophy of action under the heading of normative philosophy.

I believe that it's wise not to be too specific on your statement of purpose, with regarding to areas of interest.  For one thing, many of us are young and relatively new to philosophy.  I've only spent about five years in philosophy.  So of course I expect that my interests will continue to evolve.

Those are some of the areas captured by my use of the word "value." Thanks for the clarification.

I'm with you regarding the anonymity thing. I've declined to state in my "signature" the schools to which I've applied. Good luck to you!

... although I can't help but wonder what your quantitative score was, since you didn't post it (not that I'm asking you to tell me!) ;)

Edited by DHumeDominates

I think we'll hear from three total this week.  Duke, U Chicago, Riverside (though I'm less certain about Riverside, because I hear that their process changed this year).  Duke may already be out.  (One person posted today, but I'm waiting to see more than that.)

Edited by ianfaircloud

I think we'll hear from three total this week.  Duke, Chicago, Riverside (though I'm less certain about Riverside, because I hear that their process changed this year).  Duke may already be out.  (One person posted today, but I'm waiting to see more than that.)

Chicago as in U Chicago or U Illinois-Chicago? 

I think we'll hear from three total this week.  Duke, Chicago, Riverside (though I'm less certain about Riverside, because I hear that their process changed this year).  Duke may already be out.  (One person posted today, but I'm waiting to see more than that.)

I agree, but I'm bummed because I didn't apply to any of those schools!  :mellow:

Is Kant an AOI for you?  Or is that just a catchy user name?

Yes! Although, I would put other moral/political philosophers before him if I were to list moral/political philosophers I'm interested in. Funny enough, I'm more interested in Rawls than Kant.  

• 2 months later...