Anyone else applying to English programs??? Going crazy

Jocko

I applied to UC-Irvine, UPenn and The U of MN (English PhD.) So really, this is all about UC-Irvine, because there is so little chance at getting into UPenn and I don't really want to go to the U of M ( but my whole family is here and my dad is in poor health. ANYWAY, any info about these programs is super helpful. I know I'm qualified-- I had a 3.9 in my grad work at UW-Madison, I have a 169 Verbal for the GRE-- but I'm sure everyone else does too, probably along with a Nobel Prize or two. Any response is appreciated.

I applied to Connecticut's MA in English, Delaware's MA in English, Albany's PhD in English, and Stony Brooks PhD in English. I honestly have no idea what my chances are-- I have a strong GPA, writing sample, statement and letters.. just not crazy about my scores. 

I applied to UC-Irvine, UPenn and The U of MN (English PhD.) So really, this is all about UC-Irvine, because there is so little chance at getting into UPenn and I don't really want to go to the U of M ( but my whole family is here and my dad is in poor health. ANYWAY, any info about these programs is super helpful. I know I'm qualified-- I had a 3.9 in my grad work at UW-Madison, I have a 169 Verbal for the GRE-- but I'm sure everyone else does too, probably along with a Nobel Prize or two. Any response is appreciated.

I think we’re all in the same boat. If Grad Cafe is representative of most applicants (which it likely is), it seems like all of us are applying to Irvine. =/ That makes me nervous. That being said, your grad credentials and GRE are super strong and I think you have as good of chance as any. I know how you feel, though....when most schools ranked in the Top 50 accept less than 10% of applicants, it’s really anyone’s game. Best of luck. Fingers crossed that we’ll both be at Irvine next year! 

I applied to Connecticut's MA in English, Delaware's MA in English, Albany's PhD in English, and Stony Brooks PhD in English. I honestly have no idea what my chances are-- I have a strong GPA, writing sample, statement and letters.. just not crazy about my scores. 

GRE scores are important, but I’ve heard that they are used more to discount unqualified applicants, but they don’t really “help” all that much. As long as you didn’t bomb the test (lower than like 80% verbal), I think you’ll be fine :)

Applied to UCLA and U Michigan English (among other programs)! Horrible subject GRE, okay general GRE. But a strong application with the rest of it, including research fellowships and conferences. Best of luck to everyone! One day, MLA will be filled with what will be called Generation Grad Cafe.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent about 8 weeks preparing for the English subject test and did horribly. I mean, it didn't help the room was freezing and it was at 8am, but I'm not sure I'll ever do better.

I didn't even think about taking the Subject Test because I was not sure if my undergraduate education would have filled in the gap areas that the subject test covers.

Still, I can't help but think I am one of the more least qualified applicants on this board: my GPA is south of 3.5, and I am hoping that my GPA would be overlooked by several factors.

Hi there - I had similar qualifications as you do from a Big Ten school and I did not recieve an acceptance until the end of February last year. So don't despair! Did you only apply to three schools? Unfortunately, the truth about this process is that it is extremely subjective so they more schools you apply to, the better chance you have of being a "fit" somewhere. 

Applied to UCLA and U Michigan English (among other programs)! Horrible subject GRE, okay general GRE. But a strong application with the rest of it, including research fellowships and conferences. Best of luck to everyone! One day, MLA will be filled with what will be called Generation Grad Cafe.

Did you apply to the UMich  English Phd, or CompLit? Not sure if there's a difference. I applied to UMich's CompLit! I feel extremely underqualified, though...I'm still an undergrad senior. My professor recommended I apply there given their burgeoning translation program. Have you heard from them at all since your application? An interview? Good luck!