Getting a Pet in Grad School

jellyfish1

I didn't attack you or anything you said, while you attacked my claim about the chart and my expenditures...

I don't read any "attacks" in either direction. I thought is was important to get the point across about expenses (and still do), which is why I brought it back up. I felt the need to do so both times because your posts appeared to dismiss the link as not useful because of lack of accuracy--hence the second reply providing my reasoning about why I viewed some sort of baseline estimate as useful.

I wanted to make the case that the estimates I linked could be a useful tool--it  predicted an amount very similar to what you said you spent (prior to you providing any info regarding your dog). I think that provides a nice hook to get people to return and take another look that might have otherwise ignored it based on the structure of the replies.

An clearer way to restructure that whole exchange could be: a. Expenses are an important consideration, here's a link that breaks them down. b. Yes expenses are important, but I think that the link is a very low end estimate based on my experiences. a. I agree, it is the MSPCA's suggested minimum.

Also, I saw above Pears mentioning rabbits with short lived pets (with the excellent caveat that you should do your research on the lifespan of all pets). House rabbits can live 12-15 years. That is similar to cats and longer than most larger dogs, so they are a very long term time commitment. Obviously their lifespan is much shorter if kept outside (4-6 years), where they tend to get worn down by the weather and parasites, or killed by predators like raccoons. Outdoor hutches may need heating depending on the weather in your area, which can be quite expensive on a seasonal basis if your local power source is coal or oil rather than nuclear or hydroelectric. Further rabbits are harder to adopt out than cats or dogs, so the consequences for the pet rabbits are often grimmer than with a cat or dog if you decide it doesn't work out--very few shelters take adult bunnies. I think they are great pets, but shouldn't be treated as short term critters, and require daily maintenance. Also, if you do get a indoor rabbit, there is no reason to keep it caged all day like you might a rodent--they are easily litter trained, and just like cats, if they have a buddy are much less likely to destroy the world.

Rabbits are great pets.  I have two free-range bunnies that hop around my living room.  They are litter trained.  They can be very destructive, though, and I have replaced lots of wires/woodworking/remotes.  I think I finally have the place rabbit-proofed enough that I don't have to worry anymore.  But, if you rent, free-range bunnies might not be a great idea. (I own). 

Rabbits were a great solution for me, and it's impossible to have a bad day with a bunny hopping around the living room, or two bunnies cuddling together in front of the tv.  They are becoming quite popular as house pets; if this is something that appeals to you, check out the forums at binkybunny.com. 

I would advise against getting a pet until you know where you'll be living for the next 5-10 years, what you'll be making, and what your schedule would be like.

Frankly, I don't see how a new dog would work for a grad student at all. Time consuming, very expensive and challenging. I think volunteering is a much better option.

I have a dog (clearly, see my avatar) and he was the best thing to happen to me in a really dark time where I was hating where I was living and my anxiety made me want to stay in all the time.  He made me go out, walk, and be social.  It wasn't about me anymore.  I know dogs aren't for everyone but I didn't much have a choice thanks to my cat allergy.  I've had horses and dogs in my life, so this wasn't odd to me.  NOT having a dog was.

Here are some things to consider.  If you are in a lab situation like some people I know, you simply may not have the time.  At the start of grad school, as well, if you are teaching and going to class during 12-13 hour days, you may feel like there isn't time either.  I had those days.  I would have to ensure I had a break for 1-2 hours to go home, take care of the dog, walk him, play with him, and then head back.

Also, if you buy/adopt a puppy, you may hate your life. I couldn't imagine getting a young dog that wasn't housetrained and making it work.  My dog was adopted with some known issues but housetraining wasn't an issue.  

Getting a dog that doesn't travel may not work well for you.  I refused to get something I couldn't fit under the seat on an airplane because I didn't know what my life would look like in 5 years and I live a ways away from my family now.  He only weighs about 8lbs and fits in a carryon for dogs.  I don't like the idea of dogs in the hold.  It makes me nervous.  He also loves riding in the car.  If that was an issue, it wouldn't have worked. I drive home for break too often.

I suggest also getting a smaller dog because you won't be as limited by where you can live.  Most apartments here ban dogs over 40 lbs and very few rent to dogs over 25 lbs.  It's also prohibitively expensive to have a dog in some places period, so people have talked about that and I think it's wise to check out your options.  And when it comes to food, I feed top-quality stuff and pay about $50.00 for a large bag every 3 months to feed him.  It's cheaper to feed a little dog.

Have a sitter in mind or know that your parents/family can take the animal if you get a great chance to leave the country for a fellowship or field research and you can't take the animal with you.  I had to leave my dog for a summer semester while I did field research and while it was hard, he had a lot of fun with my parents and their dog.  Not everyone has that relationship.

Seriously, you should own a Marimo..

Who is that lady and why did she make a video about a Marimo? She doesn't seem to know much about it other than its status as a national treasure in Japan.

Who is that lady and why did she make a video about a Marimo? She doesn't seem to know much about it other than its status as a national treasure in Japan.

I was just thinking the same thing. Wikipedia solved my problems in the first line, but I appreciated the visual anyway.

I think she makes trendy uniquely shaped Marimo habitats.