Summer Plans

Guest Guest

One of the coolest things about Europe is getting on a bus/train and heading out to a small town somewhere, getting off where you thought that you would not stop, and wondering through the streets for hours lost in history...those are the kinds of experiences that you just can't get if you are doing a whirlwind tour.

How inspiring, you've touched my heart.

Also, I really don't want to see a lot of places in a short period of time, I originally wanted to travel for a year and go to all these destinations but now as I would only have the summer I am prioritizing. I am striving for a cultural immersion, I want to fall in love (again) with Spanish, dance, eat the food, etc. etc. No one else in my family understands why i want to do this, but I have this pull in my chest that is telling me to go, go, go!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous of all of you who are traveling, especially those going overseas. I'm actually going to be an overachiever this summer to make up for my past years of underachieving. I will be taking a couple of weeks off following graduation before moving in late May and will begin working for the faculty in my PhD program in June. I'm thinking I must be crazy.

I'm jealous of all of you who are traveling, especially those going overseas. I'm actually going to be an overachiever this summer to make up for my past years of underachieving. I will be taking a couple of weeks off following graduation before moving in late May and will begin working for the faculty in my PhD program in June. I'm thinking I must be crazy.

Nope, not crazy! I started the summer program for my MA exactly 2 days after I graduated from undergrad. I moved out of my dorm on graduation day, moved to new area the next day, went to program orientation the next day. It helped that I had family in the new area to stay with.

I've decided to be a lazy bum this summer and enjoy my last bit of freedom before leaving for school in early August. Not very exciting, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm probably going to be doing reading (some fun and a lot for school - I don't want my advisor to regret admitting me!), working out in the gym, and visiting family and friends. My family and I might go on a week vacation to Mexico this summer, which will definitely be the highlight.

I was supposed to do an internship at an exciting university in a hundrum city but have decided to enjoy the last few months of the fantastic city of Montreal before I leave it for good. I'll be taking a summer class, completing some research stuff, learning shorthand,working for the alumni office and bumming around. Should be relaxing and recharging.

I've been working very hard to find a paid internship in D.C.

Problem is I'm a "been out of undergrad for 4 months already, not yet a grad student" person, and alot don't like that.

But hey, I've got some good interviews coming up, so something is working well!

-Erin

I graduated in '07 so I've been anxiously waiting around to start grad school since June. This year I've been serving as a research assistant at my alma mater, but I doubt I'll have any research to do over the summer. So the plan is to get as many shifts as possible at my "paying" job: working as a bartender at a busy sportsbar, and hoarding the cash so I can survive in LA on a graduate stiped.

I am planning to read, throw away everything that I will not be taking with me to school, and spend time with everyone that I will miss desperately when I am gone. Then in mid July, I am loading up the Neon and driving across country with my boyfriend, who I hope to enjoy and not leave in a small town along the way. We are planning to see the sights and take at least a week to drive from San Jose to Chapel Hill. I am a huge country fan so we will be visiting Nashville for a bit. And BF wants to go to... Dollywood. I wish I was joking. Has anyone been there? I am hoping that someone has and it sucks so we won't have to waste time in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Also, does anyone know any good trip planning websites? I haven't really found any and this is kind of a once in a lifetime trip, so I don't want to miss anything.

• 11 months later...

I'm quitting my job at the beginning of June and moving back home with my family for a month because I haven't seen them since Christmas. Then I'm going on a dig for the rest of the summer, which I'm excited about because of the location and the people (worked with them last year). I'll have about a week and a half between getting back and grad school orientation.

• 2 months later...

Waiting tables (blech!) to gather my moving fund--I'm trying to move the first week of August. Also need to plan a trip to Boston to househunt, hopefully mid-July. Reading lots and lots and lots, essentially to catch up on a handful of classics that I've managed to avoid until now, as well as enjoying the books that had been sitting on my bookshelf, gathering dust, while I was too busy during the semester. I've got 40 texts on my summer reading list, which I'm hoping to get at least half through. ;)