2014 PH PhD applicants

soylatte5

Hi All, 

Been browsing around and it seems like a general thread for doctoral applicants was only started in 2012, so let's start a 2014 one! Where have you applied for 2014 enrollment, what department, and where have you heard back from? 

Applied to mainly Environment Health programs at: 

Hopkins - invited to recruitment weekend, Feb 7-8

Harvard 

Columbia

Berkeley

UCLA

UCI (general PH, disease prevention track) - informal interview via phone

I'm getting a bit nervous about the others I haven't heard from since it seems like in 2012/13 applicants received interviews from some of those schools at the end of Jan/early Feb. Is this a bad sign? Anyone else applied to these schools and hear anything back? Thanks for sharing!

Finally, someone else! I applied to UNC, GW (DrPH), and UIC. Based on previous years on gradcafe results for these schools, I still have like another torturous month to wait....

Hopefully, it won't be too much longer!

Soy, I applied to Hopkins' EHS program in Occupational & Environmental Health and am going to the interview weekend too! See you there! And I don't think it's a bad sign! Doesn't seem like anyone has heard much of anything.

Also applied to:

Boston University School of Public Health DrPH -- had Skype interview in early Jan.    

New York University Global Institute of Public Health -- no word      

Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine -- no word      

George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services DrPH -- no word      

University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health -- rejected and asked to resubmit in another program, but didn't like the fit, so chose not to

MPH(D?), did you apply to the online DrPH program? Or a PhD? I was looking into both, but they didn't seem to offer much funding... Curious about your thoughts.

Edited by drph_2014

Soy and DrPH_2014: are your interviews at Hopkins for a DrPH or PhD in envir health? 

So far I've heard from Pitt EOH DrPH (was outright rejected and told to reapply to epi dept); Emory EHS PhD (interview); & UT Houston DrPH EOHS (accepted).

Soy and DrPH_2014: are your interviews at Hopkins for a DrPH or PhD in envir health? 

So far I've heard from Pitt EOH DrPH (was outright rejected and told to reapply to epi dept); Emory EHS PhD (interview); & UT Houston DrPH EOHS (accepted).

I applied to the PhD program. I was really looking for applied research opportunities, but have limited work experience so that seemed the way to go -- the admissions person I spoke with before applying said that most sucessful DrPH applicants have at least 10 years experience under thier belt. That seems like a lot to me...

What about you?

BTW I'm excited to find other DrPH-ers out there! I'm guessing in a few years the degree will catch on, but for now we seem to be a rare species.

MPH(D?), did you apply to the online DrPH program? Or a PhD? I was looking into both, but they didn't seem to offer much funding... Curious about your thoughts.

For UIC? I did PhD. When I talked to one of the professors there, he said they offered funding on a case by case basis, but usually were able to find everyone. Same with UNC. Maybe it's a public school thing, but I noticed that private institutions seem more likely to mention funding up front? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I applied to the PhD program. I was really looking for applied research opportunities, but have limited work experience so that seemed the way to go -- the admissions person I spoke with before applying said that most sucessful DrPH applicants have at least 10 years experience under thier belt. That seems like a lot to me...

What about you?

BTW I'm excited to find other DrPH-ers out there! I'm guessing in a few years the degree will catch on, but for now we seem to be a rare species.

Awesome, I hope your interview goes well! I applied to their DrPH in EHS (have about ~7 years work experience) after much debate and guidance from faculty. I intend to continue working so Hopkins would be a perfect fit; however, not hearing from them by now is making me extremely nervous. I also applied to the GW DrPH in EOH department, crossing my fingers with that one.

BTW has anyone else noticed that many of the schools have their recruitment/open house/interview days from Feb 6-8th? So far I know UNC, Emory, and Hopkins' interview dates for their Envir Health dept are on the same days. 

@drph_2014, awesome, see you there!

@EOH_2014, PhD. I considered the DrPH route as well but a lot of schools did require years of work experience and I've only had ~2 yrs combined from post-undergrad/grad schools. I've heard that some DrPH-ers eventually take the PhD route since the curriculum is similar at some schools and the degree is more recognized. But DrPH seems to be on the rise. I went to Emory for my MPH if you have any questions (PM me). I don't know many faculty personally but I've interacted with a handful to some capacity. 

@Bri2014, the interview/visits section here has some great tips. The benefit is that they can't see you so you can have notes and they can't visually tell that you're nervous. Speak confidently and it should go well. :)

Awesome to see that there are many EH-ers out there! good luck!!

@drph_2014, awesome, see you there!

@EOH_2014, PhD. I considered the DrPH route as well but a lot of schools did require years of work experience and I've only had ~2 yrs combined from post-undergrad/grad schools. I've heard that some DrPH-ers eventually take the PhD route since the curriculum is similar at some schools and the degree is more recognized. But DrPH seems to be on the rise. I went to Emory for my MPH if you have any questions (PM me). I don't know many faculty personally but I've interacted with a handful to some capacity. 

@Bri2014, the interview/visits section here has some great tips. The benefit is that they can't see you so you can have notes and they can't visually tell that you're nervous. Speak confidently and it should go well. :)

Awesome to see that there are many EH-ers out there! good luck!!

@soylatte5 thanks for the advice. Where do I find the interview section? I'm new to this website. 

I applied too:

UAlbany- EOH- interview

Columbia- Molecular Epi (EHS)- no word :(

NYU- Epi (EHS)- nothin'

Please post if you hear back from Columbia!!! Would love to know! Thanks!

Love that you're all EHSers! Good luck to everyone!

@soylatte5 thanks for the advice. Where do I find the interview section? I'm new to this website. 

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/84-interviews-and-visits/

Something especially helpful is preparing a list of questions prior to interviewing. I spent maybe ~20-25 mins during a 35-40 min phone interview asking my own questions, which emphasized my interest in the program as well as the professor.

One somewhat unconventional/blunt question I got was along the lines of ..if accepted, how likely are you to attend here? Be prepared for potential questions like that.

Edited by soylatte5

I applied to 

BU- EHS 

Harvard- Environmental Epi SD

Harvard- Biological Sciences in Public Health

Thus far I have an interview at BU EHS in mid Feb

Hey Methylmadness!

Awesome that you are being interviewed for BU. I applied for EHS PhD at BU as well but haven't heard a word from them.

When did they let you know about the interview? Is it on-site or via phone??

Thank you!!

Hey Methylmadness!

Awesome that you are being interviewed for BU. I applied for EHS PhD at BU as well but haven't heard a word from them.

When did they let you know about the interview? Is it on-site or via phone??

Thank you!!

They emailed me Jan 14th and it is an on-site email. I was emailed by a professor, but not one that I stated I would want to research for, so not sure if they do it by lab and who they think would be a good fit that way or by school.

They emailed me Jan 14th and it is an on-site email. I was emailed by a professor, but not one that I stated I would want to research for, so not sure if they do it by lab and who they think would be a good fit that way or by school.

Cool. Thank you!

BUSPH is really great! Uh until I get the rejection letter I probably should not be giving up yet! :)

I applied to:

Columbia (PhD Epidemiology)

Tulane (PhD Global Health Systems and Development)

Georgetown (Global Infectious Diseases)

Univ. Florida (Epidemiology--I'm currently here doing my MA)

• 2 weeks later...

Samesies! Another month to go maybe?

Just heard today, FYI--was invited for an interview for the GW DrPH Health Behavior Program next week. Hope you got good news too!

Just heard today, FYI--was invited for an interview for the GW DrPH Health Behavior Program next week. Hope you got good news too!

Yeah, actually! Interview this Thursday! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

waitlisted at WUSTL

accepted at UCI and JH

still waiting on Berkeley (who won't provide any status updates!) and Harvard (still in review)

Congrats on your acceptances!