Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Here's a random question: in the statistics of how many applications vs. how many awards, do you think they're counting incorrectly-done apps that they have to toss out, or just the good ones? (For example, if someone only gets two reccs in and submits anyway, does that count in the applications-received number?)

Here's a random question: in the statistics of how many applications vs. how many awards, do you think they're counting incorrectly-done apps that they have to toss out, or just the good ones? (For example, if someone only gets two reccs in and submits anyway, does that count in the applications-received number?)

I would think they don't even count incorrectly-done applications, since they won't look at them anyway.

I wonder, though, if they even get that many incorrectly-done applications.  I would think probably very few.

How is everyone feeling? I am trying to keep busy, but I continue to stress over an application that can no longer be changed! haha 

I'm trying very hard not to think about it! Hard to believe this is only the beginning of a verrrrrry long wait!

How is everyone feeling? I am trying to keep busy, but I continue to stress over an application that can no longer be changed! haha 

I'm trying very hard not to think about it! Hard to believe this is only the beginning of a verrrrrry long wait!

Same here! I'm not excited for the long wait, but I hope it goes by fast. I'm also applying for a DAAD study scholarship right now, so it's almost like applying for two Fulbrights in a row. (so much stress!) Hopefully at least one will come through around graduation time in the spring though.That would be the best graduation present ever!!

Best of luck to everyone who has applied! :)

I'm in graduate school right now, so I totally forgot about the application for the last week. It's much easier to do when you have a million books and articles to read, papers to write, and grants to apply for... :)

I actually had my first Fulbright-related dream last night  :P

I dreamt that 6 of us who applied for ETAs actually found out in January that we were accepted.  One went to Poland, one to Portugal, one to Boston, one to San Francisco, I don't remember where the other one went...and I was being sent to Chicago!  I was very confused/upset because I had applied for Italy, but the committee told me "Well you will still be teaching English, just in Chicago."  I wasn't sure if I wanted to accept the position because I was afraid of Chicago's cold winters.

How crazy!!  :wacko:

Also trying not to think about it!

I'm really not sure what will happen...I'd love to get the Fulbright, but I'm applying for Presidential Management Fellowship jobs as well since I'm a finalist this year. I wish I didn't have to wait so long to see where my future ends up! 

I actually had my first Fulbright-related dream last night  :P

I dreamt that 6 of us who applied for ETAs actually found out in January that we were accepted.  One went to Poland, one to Portugal, one to Boston, one to San Francisco, I don't remember where the other one went...and I was being sent to Chicago!  I was very confused/upset because I had applied for Italy, but the committee told me "Well you will still be teaching English, just in Chicago."  I wasn't sure if I wanted to accept the position because I was afraid of Chicago's cold winters.

How crazy!!  :wacko:

Haha...I had a Fulbright dream the other night too, where I got accepted to Bulgaria as an ETA but then there was a natural disaster and we all had to evacuate in the first week!

Quite nervous! It's hard not knowing where we will all be in one year. I'm staying busy with my last semester and with grad school applications. Trying not to stress too much, as I suppose it's out of our hands at this point :)

YUP. I can't think about it or I'll drive myself crazy! Fortunately (or unfortunately) working + grad school keeps me pretty busy 99.9% of the time.

I have officially submitted my application for research in Moldova! I thought I would feel relieved, but now I'm more nervous than ever! I hope I can get over my anxiety sometime in the next three months...haha.

Good luck! Rootin' for ya!

Can anyone explain to me the next step? I know we are either recommended or not, but then what? Does anyone know what the chances of being chosen are from that point?

Well, you go nuts until you hear news in January. Then, if you are recommended you ride that high for a little while, and either 1) freak out until you complete your interview or 2) (if you don't have to do an interview) twiddle your thumbs crazily and obsessively research everything about your country until you *finally* hear an official answer. Then, it's a ton of paperwork, orientation in D.C. for a few days, connecting with past Fulbrighters in your country and networking with present PCV's and other NGO peeps, and boarding a plane and doing some amazing work!

I think I remember reading somewhere that they generally recommend twice as many applicants as they have grants.  But I can't remember where I read that so I'm not sure as to how true it is.

You are correct! I read that too, but it was back when I applied so I've forgotten where as well. 

So my university had the largest pool of Fulbright applicants ever this year, it was double the average number of applicants.  Was this the same for anyone else's university?  I feel that our forum is actually kind of small.  Maybe most applicants don't seek out a forum/moral support until the finalists are announced in January?

Edited by RRachel1

YUP. I can't think about it or I'll drive myself crazy! Fortunately (or unfortunately) working + grad school keeps me pretty busy 99.9% of the time.

Share the same thoughts.. Good luck!!!! Spain competitive country it works out!!!!!!!!  I am a professional so trying the scholar thing.. ; been out of graduate school for a few years, so well see.

Been tio Spain many a times so enjoy if you get it. 

Why is the turnaround so slow on this? For other fellowships (Marshall, Mitchell, Rhodes) the entire decision process is finished by late November or early December. Is our just because the Fulbright program is so much bigger?

Because Fulbright has to deal with more red tap than just the US government. They also have to deal with red tape in each individual country.

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to the thread, just found this site today. I've applied for an ETA to Brazil and am anxiously counting down the days until finalist notifications are sent out! Best of luck to you all.  :D

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to the thread, just found this site today. I've applied for an ETA to Brazil and am anxiously counting down the days until finalist notifications are sent out! Best of luck to you all.  :D

I'm hoping it will be earlier this year. I found out last year about it on January 29th. Good luck!

LOL at the person who dreamt about teaching in Chicago. I literally LOL'd. I have had dreams about Fulbright about every other night since I submitted my application. I am not sure how I'll hold up until January, thank God for my senior seminar papers + thesis + jobs + everything else. 

I'm torn between just doing my best to put it out of my head for the next few months or just going all out studying the language and other things.....It does seem like a rather competitive year...

Hey guys, totally new to this forum, thought I'd just join the discussion. Applied to Hungary for the study grant. Good luck to all! 

Also... didn't mean to upvote my own post... can't figure out how to neutralize it  :D

Edited by ARAV_Rocky

Hey guys, totally new to this forum, thought I'd just join the discussion. Applied to Hungary for the study grant. Good luck to all! 

Also... didn't mean to upvote my own post... can't figure out how to neutralize it  :D

Hey! Fellow Hungary hopeful here...I applied for the ETA - Roma Student Initiative. Best of luck to you!

I'm torn between just doing my best to put it out of my head for the next few months or just going all out studying the language and other things.....It does seem like a rather competitive year...

Why not study it, anyway? If you don't get it this year, you might be more competitive next year with the language experience. Plus, at the very least, you had an interest in the country for some reason. If you decide to travel there, the language would certainly be useful.