Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Spreadsheet question here -- does anybody know how to add the previous years' info as separate tabs?

The spreadsheet for 2014-15 did that. If someone could do that for the 2015-16 spreadsheet, it would be helpful to compare easily when countries have announced in previous years... many thanks!

minimouse,

I am sorry to hear you were not recommended. I know this is cliche but it's always the journey that matters. This experience will only make you a better and stronger candidate if you try again next year.

Thank you so much!

Of course I'm a bit bummed, but I definitely plan on trying again!

Actually, hearing back has made me more determined to get into a program that let's me teach in South Korea. I guess it's made me braver, because I was looking forward to the transition with 70-80 other Fulbrighters for 6 weeks. But if I have to travel alone, so be it.

I've immediately started looking into the application process through other programs. I mean, I have a whole gap year, right? No rush, and it's something.

Spreadsheet question here -- does anybody know how to add the previous years' info as separate tabs?

The spreadsheet for 2014-15 did that. If someone could do that for the 2015-16 spreadsheet, it would be helpful to compare easily when countries have announced in previous years... many thanks!

Gotcha.

Wow, what a surprise....thought that I still had two weeks left to hear back about this.  Actually got recommended, I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic though, since this is only stage one.  Best wishes to those who didn't - when one door closes another opens, and even just taking this step is more than most people will do in their lives.

Edited by jasonslfl

This thread is unusually quiet. Past years had almost 20 pages of reported results (plus 30 more pages before results of just chatter). Are people getting their results in waves? Lurkers, you should be brave and post your results, even you make up a very random name, completely disconnected from who you are. Definitely update the spreadsheet! You do NOT have to put your name or your school affiliation if you want to stay anonymous. Remember that we all use this board and these results to help ourselves in the future. You may decide to try another country or apply for a grant instead of an ETA, won't you be happy to see as much information as possible so that you can tailor the best application? 

Fulbright 2015-2016 Spreadsheet

To those who were recommended, congratulations!  Do not spend the next 2-6 months fretting. Get yourself involved in something that keeps you too busy to care. Remember that having a "Finalist" line on your CV still looks good. To those who were not recommended, do not despair. Life is a funny thing and sometimes the worst tragedies can be the best outcomes, we just won't realize this until much farther into the future. The fact that your school allowed you to apply is a big deal. And the application process itself a learning opportunity. Think about next year, start to beef up your CV now to be a stronger candidate. 

If anyone wants to message me with application help, ideas on how to improve your CV, where to get experience, etc., please feel free to message me. I am a PhD candidate with a great deal of successful grant and fellowship applications. I am more than happy to share this knowledge. 

I was thinking the same thing. I am new to this forum but have looked at past years. I have not gotten my results and wonder if that IIE notice was meant for only some schools? Feeling discouraged.

Actually, hearing back has made me more determined to get into a program that let's me teach in South Korea. I guess it's made me braver, because I was looking forward to the transition with 70-80 other Fulbrighters for 6 weeks. But if I have to travel alone, so be it.

I've immediately started looking into the application process through other programs. I mean, I have a whole gap year, right? No rush, and it's something.

Ow, my ego hurts. I'm just going to assume there were only like 5 people recommended for the 2 spots and they're like Ivy league grads with 4.0's and accolades on top of an equal amount of experience with teaching English and working in international environments.

Hey minimouse (and other non-recommended ETAs who still want to teach abroad in a reputable program!), take a look at EPIK (English Program in Korea -- it's government-funded! epik.go.kr). I taught through EPIK in Seoul for a year -- when I applied, the deadline was in February or March. There might still be time to put in an application. You get some decent teacher training, a choice of elementary/middle/high school (not a guaranteed placement regarding preference but they really do try!), nice accommodation, health insurance, soc. security benefits (that means free extra $$!!), flight reimbursement, most Fulbright "perks." It doesn't have the Fulbright label, but it's still a good gig. And, even better, it's a lot less mentally/emotionally draining! Because let's face it, Fulbright is mentally and emotionally draining.  

To those not recommended: This is my third time applying for a study/research grant, and it's my second time not being recommended. Last year (my second time) I applied for a UK partnership award and was recommended -- bear in mind that the UK partnership awards are (statistically speaking) much more competitive than the program I applied for this go round. Even with a more robust application this year I got the dreaded "I regret to inform you..." email. 

I've learned through three rejections that Fulbright is a fickle and mysterious entity, and that it's not worth it to pick apart your application to figure out what went wrong. It could be that nothing went wrong at all; maybe it "just wasn't your year." It's often not just qualifications and a solid project that lead to success but luck. So, Erock, tell your ego to stop hurting! Some people -- on this forum and in the real world -- urge people to reapply. As someone who's applied three times, I see reapplying simply as a good exercise in putting together a series of concise writing samples and constructing a feasible, exciting, unique project that may or may not be useful in the future. In the end, though, reapplying certainly doesn't guarantee success -- at least, not in this particular highly-competitive realm. Also, consider the emotional toll this process takes. Seriously. It's, like, at least six months of meticulous work, 27-ish essay drafts (okay, maybe just 9?), and some agony thrown in. So not only does reapplying not guarantee success, it's kind of a painful process.

tl;dr: There are other options for international experiences after university ends that, even though they don't have the Fulbright label, are still awesome, eye-opening, and promote cultural exchange (you can even use Fulbright lingo to describe them!). Fulbright is emotionally draining. Reapplying is great in theory but might not be worth your time unless you like putting together projects that are unlikely to happen in real life.

But good on us for trying, right?!

Congrats to those who were recommended!

I was thinking the same thing. I am new to this forum but have looked at past years. I have not gotten my results and wonder if that IIE notice was meant for only some schools? Feeling discouraged.

You should email your program advisor and if that does not help, contact the Fulbright area program director. I did not get my "Congratulations you are now a Fulbright Fellow" email because it was "lost". I had a panicky extra 5 days of waiting before I finally cracked and contacted someone. I was told never to stress about contacting Fulbright because they are there to help us. It turns out they had problems sending emails to some servers. The director promptly forwarded my award letter to a different email. 

Recommended again for Macedonia ETA. Here's hoping that I am a Principal this year instead of an Alternate! Congratulations to all who were recommended, and best of luck to all of those who will try again next year.

Sorry to hear that, you seem really dedicated based on your posts here, so I'm sure something will work out! From what I hear EPIK is a great program. I'd recommend checking Dave's ESL Cafe.

Hey minimouse (and other non-recommended ETAs who still want to teach abroad in a reputable program!), take a look at EPIK (English Program in Korea -- it's government-funded! epik.go.kr). I taught through EPIK in Seoul for a year -- when I applied, the deadline was in February or March. There might still be time to put in an application. You get some decent teacher training, a choice of elementary/middle/high school (not a guaranteed placement regarding preference but they really do try!), nice accommodation, health insurance, soc. security benefits (that means free extra $$!!), flight reimbursement, most Fulbright "perks." It doesn't have the Fulbright label, but it's still a good gig. And, even better, it's a lot less mentally/emotionally draining! Because let's face it, Fulbright is mentally and emotionally draining.  

To those not recommended: This is my third time applying for a study/research grant, and it's my second time not being recommended. Last year (my second time) I applied for a UK partnership award and was recommended -- bear in mind that the UK partnership awards are (statistically speaking) much more competitive than the program I applied for this go round. Even with a more robust application this year I got the dreaded "I regret to inform you..." email. 

I've learned through three rejections that Fulbright is a fickle and mysterious entity, and that it's not worth it to pick apart your application to figure out what went wrong. It could be that nothing went wrong at all; maybe it "just wasn't your year." It's often not just qualifications and a solid project that lead to success but luck. So, Erock, tell your ego to stop hurting! Some people -- on this forum and in the real world -- urge people to reapply. As someone who's applied three times, I see reapplying simply as a good exercise in putting together a series of concise writing samples and constructing a feasible, exciting, unique project that may or may not be useful in the future. In the end, though, reapplying certainly doesn't guarantee success -- at least, not in this particular highly-competitive realm. Also, consider the emotional toll this process takes. Seriously. It's, like, at least six months of meticulous work, 27-ish essay drafts (okay, maybe just 9?), and some agony thrown in. So not only does reapplying not guarantee success, it's kind of a painful process.

tl;dr: There are other options for international experiences after university ends that, even though they don't have the Fulbright label, are still awesome, eye-opening, and promote cultural exchange (you can even use Fulbright lingo to describe them!). Fulbright is emotionally draining. Reapplying is great in theory but might not be worth your time unless you like putting together projects that are unlikely to happen in real life.

Sorry to hear that, you seem really dedicated based on your posts here, so I'm sure something will work out! From what I hear EPIK is a great program. I'd recommend checking Dave's ESL Cafe.

Thank you both so much for the information and kind words! Yup, GEPIK and EPIK are both programs I immediately looked at after writing that post. And now I'm leaning even more toward EPIK after I read GEPIK reviews and that a lot of schools' funding was getting cut left and right under them.

And you know what? When I went to check the EPIK site, they had JUST posted the new and improved application to work on for Fall 2015 today (the same day as we got the news from Fulbright... Which oddly came two weeks earlier this year. I heard it's the first time they posted results this early in about five years?) I'm taking the coincidental dates, and the fact that I graduated last month as a blessing in disguise. I have time to focus on the application and whole VISA/passport/background check/paperwork load now.

It has to mean something! Regardless, I'm excited to push forward with something.  :)

Congratulations to everyone who has made it through the first round of selections!! I got my email around 1pm today and nearly had a heart attack! I'm hoping for more good news in April so I can actually have something concrete to say when people ask me what I'm doing after graduation. Haha.

I'm still in complete shock to be recommended (ETA - Czech Republic). Wept for a solid 30 minutes at work today as my coworkers threw tissues at me haha....and now - right back to waiting. 

Thanks for this perspective.

Hey congrats to all who were recommended, Got an email today short listing me for my interview next week. I applied under Research Scholar, which is a bit different from the ETA.. Was interviewed last year, and eventually was not funded.. So it is the first stage,,Last year i obsessed with checking  rent etc, probably my downfall, but could not help it. This year, not even typing the word &&..lol anywhere...

If you were not recommended, i a few days the grants come out and it does not hurt to adjust  a bit and turn back in. Also condenser one of the bigger countries like Germany!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone for making it through this far...i know that completing an application for Fulbright and even getting this far is a pretty big deal!!! 

I was recommended for Greece ETA...in utter disbelief...but happy to have made it through this first round...now...more anticipation for the next round of e-mails....... :angry:

Anyone else rereading their essays? I reread mine this morning as if they somehow hold clues to someone else's subjective decision. How irrational of me!

I read through one of my essays and caught a small error...and now I am angry. How silly of me... :wacko:

Recommended for a research grant to South Africa! I saw this e-mail moments after I found out the student I've been tutoring all year finally passed her math standardized test (on her 3rd try) and will be able to graduate! Ahh.

A very satisfying day for you then? Congratulations!

Hi everyone! First time applying, senior in college graduating in May. I found out yesterday that i was recommended for my South Korea application (not for ETA or research, but for the Korean Studies Graduate Degree Grant). Super excited!!!! Now I need to begin the process of not getting my hopes up too high as I await the final decision... I also need to apply for said graduate degree!