Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

I'd have a lot more motivation to read for my exams if I could just get some good funding news, that's for sure!

Hey! I just noticed that you go to UNC-CH like me! Where and what do you want to study?

Is it weird that we have only had a few final notifications and it is already the 10th of March? Or is this what happened last year?

I was wondering the same thing! It seemed like everything was moving ahead of schedule compared to last year, then I noticed that last year several countries had already notified by this time. If I have to wait until the end of April, I'm going to need you all to get some good news soon in order to maintain my sanity!!

Hi Itsax!  I study Norwegian post-WWII history and am hoping for the Norwegian Fulbright (also applied for some German funding, though!).  Looks like you're hoping for Japan?  What will you study there?  Best of luck to you!

Edited by viggosloof28

I was wondering the same thing! It seemed like everything was moving ahead of schedule compared to last year, then I noticed that last year several countries had already notified by this time. If I have to wait until the end of April, I'm going to need you all to get some good news soon in order to maintain my sanity!!

Perhaps the worst part for me is not being able to plan anything. I've applied to grad schools here in America as well, and I'm just sorta chomping at the bit to know what I'm doing this summer/year! The lack of details is driving me crazy.

Hi Itsax!  I study Norwegian post-WWII history and am hoping for the Norwegian Fulbright (also applied for some German funding, though!).  Looks like you're hoping for Japan?  What will you study there?  Best of luck to you!

Thanks and good luck to you too! And I want to study reasons for the recent obesity trends in young Japanese females.

Perhaps the worst part for me is not being able to plan anything. I've applied to grad schools here in America as well, and I'm just sorta chomping at the bit to know what I'm doing this summer/year! The lack of details is driving me crazy.

Best of luck! I felt hardcore stress about this last year, as I had received responses from all of my schools and still nothing from Fulbright. I ended up accepting an offer for graduate school, as they didn't notify us about the Fulbright until the beginning of June. I certainly don't begrudge them for it, which is obvious by my reapplication this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get notifications soon and don't have the same set of circumstances. GOOD LUCK!!

Best of luck! I felt hardcore stress about this last year, as I had received responses from all of my schools and still nothing from Fulbright. I ended up accepting an offer for graduate school, as they didn't notify us about the Fulbright until the beginning of June. I certainly don't begrudge them for it, which is obvious by my reapplication this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get notifications soon and don't have the same set of circumstances. GOOD LUCK!!

OMG, they didn't tell you until June!!! Which program did you apply to?

OMG, they didn't tell you until June!!! Which program did you apply to?

Mine was the Macedonia ETA. I'm not actually sure why it ended up being so late. As a result, I really have no idea when notifications will go out. It was early to mid-April in previous years.

Morning y'all.

Thought I would go ahead and repost the link to the spreadsheet since it's 5 pages back. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=536144359

Incase refreshing your inbox gets old, here is another page to reload haha.  Hope someone gets some good Fulbright news today!

I just want to say .. this is my third time applying, I was recommended the first time I applied, second time I applied I stupidly changed my area of study and was not recommended .. I stubbornly re-applied this year and I have been recommended again (applying within my major like I did the first time). I didn't know about this forum until this last time around, and Its SO nice having this community . Rather than all the other years going through all the waiting and stress not realizing there were so many other people out there feeling the same way.  

No matter what my results are I have really enjoyed being apart of this forum and I am so excited for everyone to hear back soon

Good luck everyone ! 

All the countries that had notifications by this point last year:

Ireland, Indonesia, Indonesia ETA, Finland, Austria, Belgium, European Union

Sigh. What does it all MEAN!?

The thing is I know Ireland has made their decisions! I'm just waiting on the IIE to email me and tell me.

The thing is I know Ireland has made their decisions! I'm just waiting on the IIE to email me and tell me.

How did you find out that they already made their decision?

How did you find out that they already made their decision?

Scholars for Ireland have already been notified, so I'm assuming they made all decisions at once. I also was in contact with them a month ago (I have to take a test as part of my grant, if I get it, and I was making arrangements to take it at my alma mater) and they told me they were about to meet. Basically, several assumptions.

@Virmudi. Thanks! I'm just tired of this waiting game.

Edited by rockermaster

You can extend the Germany ETA as well. My cohort year I believe about 20 folks did so. I don't remember it being guaranteed, however, so that is something to bear in mind.

The ETA and USTA cooperate with one another. Several members of my year received offers for both and opted for Fulbright and vice versa.

aww this is great to know!!! again, still waiting to hear before i even begin making a decision, but i think ultimately the higher pay check of USTA will be rough to turn down, especially with my financial situation. Did you find it hard to live on 800 euros a month for fulbright?

aww this is great to know!!! again, still waiting to hear before i even begin making a decision, but i think ultimately the higher pay check of USTA will be rough to turn down, especially with my financial situation. Did you find it hard to live on 800 euros a month for fulbright?

Ha! I'm used to po' livin', but that year took it to an entirely different level. You're going to have financial constraints wherever you end up.

We made do. Roommates are a given, you have to be a bit frugal, and you definitely won't be ballin' unless you have supplementary income coming in!

All that said, a group of us went to Cyprus, Estonia, and Croatia so it def worked out. B)

Definitely start scoping out living arrangements now so that you get a firm grasp of what you're in for.

Does anyone know if there usually a large lag time between country decisions and IIE notification?

I would guess that it depends on how many decisions are sent to the FSB at once.  Since the Scholarship board has to approve EVERYTHING decided by the other countries before they pass on the answers to the IIE, and then the IIE sends out confirmation letters by country... I would guess that it would be easy for stuff to bottleneck at the FSB office if they got several country decisions at once.  

Ha! I'm used to po' livin', but that year took it to an entirely different level. You're going to have financial constraints wherever you end up.

We made do. Roommates are a given, you have to be a bit frugal, and you definitely won't be ballin' unless you have supplementary income coming in!

All that said, a group of us went to Cyprus, Estonia, and Croatia so it def worked out. B)

Definitely start scoping out living arrangements now so that you get a firm grasp of what you're in for.

You were in Germany, right? If you don't mind me asking, where? (Also -- sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread).

yeah, as soon as i hear from both programs (provided i get accepted), i am going to start looking at WGgesucht and the likes!

Does Fulbright ETA provide any funding toward graduate study after completing the program? I got into some programs I'd love to attend but are costly... I've heard that Fulbright can serve as a 'Sponsor' toward graduate study, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.