Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Hahaha! If only we had more good news to discuss...

P.s.-all of you guests should sign up and join us! Especially on the spreadsheet

Yes, please do! (And for the spreadsheet, you don't even have to sign up! Just click the link in my signature and enter / update your info.)

this is me at this point

46775822.jpg

Oh my god, seriously!!!! This is the best thing I've seen all day. Haha

Honestly, I almost regret telling so many people about my application. It's nice that people care and all, but every five minutes, someone's like "so, have you heard yet?!" and I'm just like... "FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, I WILL TELL YOU WHEN I KNOW, OKAY?!?!!"

I feel like it's difficult because in the past Central Asia tends to notify later (late April), but from what I heard from my interviewer, the process seems like it's moving faster this year. So, basically half expecting to hear any day, but also half expecting to not hear until like April 29.

Can I just hibernate until notifications? 

No? Humans can't hibernate indefinitely?

Ok, then. Can I find one billion extra things to do each day instead?

I really liked that hibernation idea, though...

Looks like someone was accepted to Andorra yesterday! Congratulations!!

(It's a small country between France and Spain.)

Damn... mad props to five Andorra ETAs who did the legwork to become advanced speakers of Catalan (per the program requirements).

Just saw that someone posted on the google doc that they were accepted to the ETA to Jordan today (Congrats!). I'm also an applicant and haven't heard anything yet, so I wanted to check and see if any of you knew how long it usually takes for them to send out notifications to all of the applicants?

Edited by nic93

I am not crying because I haven't heard anything back from IIE. My eyes are just watering from staring at my e-mail screen for 8 HOURS STRAIGHT!!!

Congrats to those accpeted to Andora and Jordan!!

Edited by Chris1

Just a general statistic for y'all. I tallied the application rates by region and 5,044 applicants applied for research this year (if my math is correct). So...for even getting through this first round -- congratulations to everyone! Same goes for ETA.

Where'd you get the application numbers for this year? Weren't they last updated in January 2014 on the Fulbright website? Am I missing a page of data I could be over-analyzing and obsessing over!? (Also I love the random statistics and magical thinking that this group comes up with. Amazing)

Damn... mad props to five Andorra ETAs who did the legwork to become advanced speakers of Catalan (per the program requirements).

Recommended, not required! Thank goodness, because I certainly don't speak advanced Catalan... But I do speak fluent Spanish and took a few years of French and Portuguese as well, so I'm hoping it's not too hard to pick up! Fortunately, I work with a guy whose first language is Catalan, so I have a great tutor available in the meantime :) 

Where'd you get the application numbers for this year? Weren't they last updated in January 2014 on the Fulbright website? Am I missing a page of data I could be over-analyzing and obsessing over!? (Also I love the random statistics and magical thinking that this group comes up with. Amazing)

Woops. It was 2014-2015. Very sorry all!

(However, I bet there is only a nominal difference in applications between the years. It's still a large feat regardless!)

And yes, Tawaintroubadour, the magical thinking in this group is outstanding! The enabling aspect is fantastic.

Just saw that someone posted on the google doc that they were accepted to the ETA to Jordan today (Congrats!). I'm also an applicant and haven't heard anything yet, so I wanted to check and see if any of you knew how long it usually takes for them to send out notifications to all of the applicants?

OMG WAIT WHAT. My heart just dropped. I'm an ETA applicant to Jordan. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! I've heard nothing. 

OMG WAIT WHAT. My heart just dropped. I'm an ETA applicant to Jordan. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! I've heard nothing. 

I KNOW?!?! I feel like someone's punking us just to see how we react. Plus its after business hours so decisions shouldn't be coming out now, right?? 

I KNOW?!?! I feel like someone's punking us just to see how we react. Plus its after business hours so decisions shouldn't be coming out now, right?? 

That was my first thought too! This is a cruel joke, isn't it? THERE MUST BE SOME MISTAKE.

That was my first thought too! This is a cruel joke, isn't it? THERE MUST BE SOME MISTAKE.

I just checked again and now its deleted???????? WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! This application has made me officially paranoid 

I just checked again and now its deleted???????? WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! This application has made me officially paranoid 

I was suspicious because it said "BA Linguistics" exactly mirroring my accidentally abnormal degree input. I was like WHAT IS THIS? I also haven't slept enough in the past two days so I'm also paranoid from exhaustion.