Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Well, bummer. That's great to know that she'd be willing to help us rework our applications though. I'd love to get some feedback to make it stronger for this next round. Just curious, where did you find the contact information for the program director?

Thanks!

Her info was on my letter telling me I am an alternate... Anna Valiante is her name. Are you an alternate too?

Her info was on my letter telling me I am an alternate... Anna Valiante is her name. Are you an alternate too?

Yea, I'm an alternate too, but for Argentina. I didn't get any contact information with my status update though. Strange. I kinda figured we all got the same generic email. Is Anna Valiante just the program director for Panama or for the region? I may have been confused by that.

Hi Friends ! 

I heard back from Jermaine and he said that there were in fact grants awarded to Kenya for the grant year of 2015-2016, although apparently there weren't any the year before. And to think the Fulbright process is still throwing me through a loop even at this stage. SO hopefully this is good news for those who are still waiting in areas that might be dealing with conflict ! 

Strange to hear as my advisor specifically said that my university had received word Fulbright had cancelled funding to Kenya (and that this was part of the reason my university has since cancelled all further research support to Kenya). In addition, a friend of mine had the Kenya portion of her Fulbright teacher exchange grant to Kenya and Tanzania cancelled due to security concerns. 

Edit: OK, so I just checked and my friend's application was under the 2014-2015 window (that would fit better with what Jermaine told you), but the travel ban from my university came down last week. I wonder, then, where my university is getting their information from?

Edited by Ceek76

Strange to hear as my advisor specifically said that my university had received word Fulbright had cancelled funding to Kenya (and that this was part of the reason my university has since cancelled all further research support to Kenya). In addition, a friend of mine had the Kenya portion of her Fulbright teacher exchange grant to Kenya and Tanzania cancelled due to security concerns. 

Edit: OK, so I just checked and my friend's application was under the 2014-2015 window (that would fit better with what Jermaine told you), but the travel ban from my university came down last week. I wonder, then, where my university is getting their information from?

Well from what Jermaine explained to me was that for the 2014-2015 window applicants were selected and then after the fact were told that Kenya was a no go so those selected applicants were forced to adapt their proposals to neighboring countries .. he then said that there were in fact applicants chosen for this year but thats not to say that this year wont be canceled before the grants begin as well. 

A Fulbright Ambassador actually suggested I not re-apply to Kenya due to the fact that if its canceled for one year it is often canceled for the following. And the recent attack on that school, and just the over all arching issue of kidnapping of foreigners now I don't see how this year is any more safe than the last. So if your university has canceled support it might be a sign that Kenya might ultimately force those selected to once again work in neighboring countries. But its unfortunate since the 2016-2017 application cycle still has Kenya open for applications. It just makes the entire process just that more complicated, trying to guess whats going on behind closed doors. I wish there was more transparency with Fulbright. I know they can't all tell us why we weren't selected, but it would be nice to know what is going on, or what type of applications were selected last year or this year even if ultimately no one gets to go. 

*Sigh* 

I had focused on mainly anti-poaching/elephant conservation in my most recent proposal, and now I am considering changing it from population increase and the impact on elephant conservation in ... Tanzania maybe it will be less of a danger factor ? But who is to say Tanzania isn't dealing with a similar safety issue as well... who knows ! Either way anyone who is mak'n their way into the 2016-2017 forum will find me there this upcoming year. 

Kosovo released today.  Alternate here.  Hoping there may still be a chance but considering there was only one grant, I am not super optimistic.  Congrats to the grantee though and to everyone else!  This forum has been a lifesaver for me as for many of you and I really appreciate all of the comments and wise words that have been passed on.  Good luck to everyone else!

Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe she is for a different program...

I don't mean to eschew the conversation taking place about notifications, but I'm wondering if anyone here is going to be leaving behind a significant other for the duration of the Fulbright. If so, what is your plan? If you've already done this and are simply checking out the thread, feedback would certainly be helpful! For my circumstances in particular, we're trying to save up some money to allow her to come over once or twice. Apart from that, Whatsapp seems to be the best bet for text/audio/video messages and international calling.

I don't mean to eschew the conversation taking place about notifications, but I'm wondering if anyone here is going to be leaving behind a significant other for the duration of the Fulbright. If so, what is your plan? If you've already done this and are simply checking out the thread, feedback would certainly be helpful! For my circumstances in particular, we're trying to save up some money to allow her to come over once or twice. Apart from that, Whatsapp seems to be the best bet for text/audio/video messages and international calling.

Hi tspier2, I am in the same boat as you. We are actually doing long distance right now, but he is the one abroad this time and then two months after he gets back then I leave for the Fulbright. I found that having an iPhone helps soooo much because you can iMessage and FaceTime really easily with almost no problems. If you both don't have an iPhone then WhatsApp is basically the same thing and you can get the skype App on your phone which is like FaceTime and it's free with wifi.

I'm going to try and have him come out to Jordan if money and work allows. I think that makes the biggest difference, even if it's just for a week. Always worth it. I hope this helps! 

Hi tspier2, I am in the same boat as you. We are actually doing long distance right now, but he is the one abroad this time and then two months after he gets back then I leave for the Fulbright. I found that having an iPhone helps soooo much because you can iMessage and FaceTime really easily with almost no problems. If you both don't have an iPhone then WhatsApp is basically the same thing and you can get the skype App on your phone which is like FaceTime and it's free with wifi.

I'm going to try and have him come out to Jordan if money and work allows. I think that makes the biggest difference, even if it's just for a week. Always worth it. I hope this helps! 

My partner and I will be doing long-distance. We already use Skype to chat a lot (he lives 2 hours from me) but he's planning to save his airline miles to come visit me closer to the end of the grant time (so that I will know where to go!). We've been dating awhile so while I'm sure it will be challenging, I'm not too nervous.

I really wouldn't bet on it. They probably disallow additional travel because it's a public program paid for (at the risk of sounding cliche) by taxes. So they:

1. Want to make sure people are doing what they're put there for. If anyone gets the impression Fulbright sponsors people for vacations abroad, it could jeopardize the whole program.

2. It's a liability thing- they give people grants to go to potentially unstable parts of the world and if one person ends up hurt/missing after grant ends because they left their host country but didn't return to the United States, Fulbright could in theory be held partially responsible. My guess is that's the same reason we need permission to leave the host country at all. 

There could be exceptions, but I'd guess it's for completion of a grantee's project. Even then, that may not allow them international travel. No idea if I'm right, but these are my best guesses. 

Weird -- I'm definitely getting confused. I told my contact that I was hoping to travel around Asia after my grant ended and if there was any flexibility on this (I have family in other areas of Asia) and he said it should be no problem and to clarify with the person making travel arrangements. So I'm waiting to hear back from her on what exactly the terms are on this. Will keep you all posted.

Weird -- I'm definitely getting confused. I told my contact that I was hoping to travel around Asia after my grant ended and if there was any flexibility on this (I have family in other areas of Asia) and he said it should be no problem and to clarify with the person making travel arrangements. So I'm waiting to hear back from her on what exactly the terms are on this. Will keep you all posted.

As I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure the only restriction is you are not able to use Fulbright funding to pay for your return ticket if you stay beyond the 10 (or really 11th) month limit. That, plus you will probably need to make your own arrangements for visas, but if it's just a few months a tourist visa should be easy to come by wherever you would want to go.

Please do! I really hope I'm wrong. It's supremely easy to border hop and I've been invited to stay with friends and already have it in my head to visit some places in the region once my grant's over...

Please do! I really hope I'm wrong. It's supremely easy to border hop and I've been invited to stay with friends and already have it in my head to visit some places in the region once my grant's over...

So it seems like we CAN travel? Maybe the stipulation is more like, we're not allowed to stay on on our long-stay visas without permission? I was told that basically, since the plane tickets expire a year from our flight out. So if I fly out to Taiwan on Sept 1 2015, I have until Aug 31 2016 to fly back. Since it's a 10 month grant, then supposedly if my grant term ends on June 30th, I could travel around Asia all I want to visit friends and family as long as I return to Taiwan to take my flight back to the US as ticketed. Anything beyond would be forfeited. I asked if I could go to other areas of Asia to visit family, and they didn't seem to think it was a problem. Although, also, Taiwan seems to have a thing where even though the grant period ends in 10 months, I am allowed to stay an extra month on my visa, as long as I pay my own expenses (no more grant money).