Philosophy Admissions are NOT random!

Loric

Query: Is there anyone around these parts who did happen to get in..?

I'm ABD in a philosophy program. And at least MattDest (if not others) are in MA programs. So yes, we aren't all as dull as you wish we were.

I'm ABD in a philosophy program. And at least MattDest (if not others) are in MA programs. So yes, we aren't all as dull as you wish we were.

I dont wish for your dullness, I wish for you to recover from it.

Also, to remain respectable aren't you supposed to be denying people information about how to get into a program? Why are you here? Are you sabotaging people as part of your dissertation and earning you philosophy academia street cred?

You're right, that wasn't the right way to phrase it. We aren't all as dull as you imagine we are, but I partly suspect that you may be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Edited by catwoman15

You're right, that wasn't the right way to phrase it. We aren't all as dull as you imagine we are, but I partly suspect that you may be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I think.. no, I'm sure you should probably be holding a mirror to this thread and the people posting in it before going after me.

As I stated in the other thread, I'm by no means a perfect applicant. However, plenty of people here seem to know an awful lot about EVERYTHING with no experience and worse, no investigation into the matter. There is a problem they've never tried to solve. How is that possibly the more intelligent discourse than an attempt at solving the problem? Saying it's too confusing, no one will ever understand it, and no one should ever bother..?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did somehow standout and were "more worthy" than the horde - what do you think made you stand out? Or do you think it's impossible to discern?

And just a quick note.. you don't write the way most of them do. That is notable.

Also, to remain respectable aren't you supposed to be denying people information about how to get into a program? Why are you here? Are you sabotaging people as part of your dissertation and earning you philosophy academia street cred?

No, other people aren't as immoral as you.

LOL this is priceless.

I don't say my application information so I can't be identified by schools on here.

And as far as getting in to schools, only about 5ish schools have even answered back, and we have somebody in to most of them.

Edited by TheVineyard

LOL this is priceless.

I don't say my application information so I can't be identified by schools on here.

And as far as getting in to schools, only about 5ish schools have even answered back, and we have somebody in to most of them.

Yeah.. no.. not at all what I was saying.. heck, that comment wasn't directed at you.

I think Loric enjoys the negative attention we give him, and it would be in most of our interests to stop responding to him. Unless you're all utilitarians and Loric is in fact the utility monster, then continue.

Yes yes. I will heed this wise advice. I just have this nagging feeling I can't seem to shake that people are susceptible to reasons.

I think Loric enjoys the negative attention we give him, and it would be in most of our interests to stop responding to him. Unless you're all utilitarians and Loric is in fact the utility monster, then continue.

I think we found loric: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/8

I have a source at a top 20 school that gave me some insights into their admissions procedure. They print out all of the applications, divide them between the committee members according to subspecialty and then take turns throwing them down the stairs. The ones that land on the top 2 steps are admitted, the next 3 steps are wait listed, and all the applications beyond that are rejected. So no, it's not totally luck (ex. it has something to do with how heavy your file is, etc.) but luck is a factor. 

More of a cookie monster, but thanks for saying something interesting.