Missing materials??!

ianfaircloud

Okay, so there's been a lot of conflict on this forum in the last 48 hours.  Maybe here's something we can agree on:

It's really, really, really frustrating to hear from an admissions office -- three months after you sent the transcripts -- that your transcripts are missing, particularly when all of your transcripts were sent together, and theirs is the only institution (of more than a dozen) that didn't seem to receive them.

USC emails me this morning to say that it hasn't received my transcripts.  This is pretty late in the game to hear about that.

Now I suppose it's better than finding out after decisions are rendered that your transcripts were never received.  (Apparently that happens, too.)

I checked with every institution to ensure that all my materials were received, etc.  But USC states clearly on the website that it will contact you if your file is incomplete.  It's nice that USC contacted me, but one wonders whether completing the file at this late hour will be enough...

Thoughts?  Has this happened to you?  Why am I so frustrated by this?  Maybe I'm tired and ready to be done with this shit.

Minnesota emailed me saying that I was missing a transcript to a school that I received college credit from in high school (as in, our HS had teachers affiliated with a local college, and we could get college credit for our highschool classes). I called and said that these were taken in highschool (already evident from the dates on the official transcript I did send) and then they changed it. I wonder how many schools won't bother to send the email...

I didn't get this email, and I sure hope they have my official transcripts. What do your guys status say at USC? Mine says:

"Submitted: Thank you for applying to graduate study at USC. Your file is currently in the first stage of our evaluation process. We will notify you if additional information or materials are required. Please contact your intended academic department directly to make sure all supplemental application materials have been received."

My application says it's submitted and:

"YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION. YOU MAY CHECK THIS SYSTEM PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES, AND IF THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR RENDERS AN ADMISSION DECISION, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED."

Kind of weird that we would have different messages... but maybe mine's just not under review yet?

**EDIT: At first I thought we had the same messages. Now I realize they are different... mine reads as above. Also, to clarify, I did not receive an email from USC and I assume my app is complete. 

Edited by philosophe

I didn't get an email and my application says the same. I assume that means we're all set.

Where exactly does that quote, "Submitted: Thank you for applying . . . ," appear?  Wow.  If I get screwed by this, I'm going to be ultra pissed.  I assume it appears after logging in with the PIN and password.  It appears above the list of recommenders' names.  Is that right?  So your application is being reviewed, and mine is scattered among files in a wet basement somewhere.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Where exactly does that quote, "Submitted: Thank you for applying . . . ," appear?  Wow.  If I get screwed by this, I'm going to be ultra pissed.

I edited mine because at first glance I thought we had the same message. At second glance, I had the message above ^. What does yours read?

Edited by philosophe

I had a few problems relating to this, too.

1. I just graduated in December, but I needed to send my transcripts before I graduated.  My transcripts updated before the deadline, but likely wouldn't make it on time, so I extended the offer to email or submit my unofficial transcripts so that they could see my updated grades and GPA.  The graduate coordinator of one program was very kind and told me to email it to her, personally.  The second program gladly assisted me and updated my application.  The third program sent me a curt response saying my original transcripts were fine.

2. I also have an odd "F" on my transcripts.  Fortunately, it was a non-credit class at my first college.  I had to leave high school for medical reasons, so I had to get my GED, which they offered at my first college.  I tested out of the classes, so they told me not to take them.  Of course, an F shows up on my non-credit transcript.  They told me it won't affect me negatively, but I was still upset to see an "F" on any sort of transcript of mine!

3. I checked a graduate program's website over and over and over to make sure that they did NOT require a CV.  I got an email not long after the deadline asking for a CV.  I just apologized and emailed it to them.

4. I have four W grades on my transcript because I had to drop some classes for medical reasons (I'm much better now!!!).  I just hope they don't think uncommitted.  Luckily, I explained that well on my SOP and my LORs should vouch for me, too.

I definitely understand the frustrations arising in this thread!!!!

HOLY SHIT.  I've rarely encountered such a bureaucratic mess of incompetence.  I just got off the phone, after a 40 minute phone call with USC graduate admissions.  Some poor file clerk, probably overworked and underpaid, had to look up my file according to MIDDLE, FIRST, LAST; LAST, MIDDLE, FIRST; FIRST, LAST, MIDDLE INITIAL; etc., and every other permutation, rational and irrational.  He said there were some 50+ people with my name who applied to the graduate school this year.  He found each of my transcripts in different files.  Note also that USC is one of only a few schools that required transcript cover sheets, which I believe is total bullshit.  

Bottom line, if you have this trouble with USC, plan on being on hold for 20+ minutes.  Be really nice to the person who answers, because his job is ridiculous.  I feel sorry for this man.  He was so friendly and so lost.

Here's the info you need:

Telephone:

Tel. 213-740-1111

When you call, there's an option to press TWO for grad admissions.  Then you should press the number for "2012-2013" admissions cycle, because there's NO OPTION FOR 2014.  The system is cold and institutional in demeanor, byzantine in its complexity, and otherwise clumsy and disorganized.

Thanks for the update and yikes! So did they find yours? Or did they say to email them unofficial transcripts? 

You know, I guess there's no way to know.  If they're this disorganized, who knows whether your application will get reviewed.  Seriously!  The department doesn't have the time to do the job of the admissions office.

To answer your question directly, this is what my site said today:

"We are reviewing your application. The status of your application is updated daily and/or as changes occur to your file. Because of the volume of materials we receive, please note that it typically requires 8-10 business days from the date of receipt for documents (such as transcripts) to be processed into your file. "

Wow, so basically three of us have three different application status messages? this is weird.

Wow, so basically three of us have three different application status messages? this is weird.

Mine reads: 

• WE ARE REVIEWING YOUR APPLICATION. THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION IS UPDATED DAILY AND/OR AS CHANGES OCCUR TO YOUR FILE. BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF MATERIALS WE RECEIVE, PLEASE NOTE THAT IT TYPICALLY REQUIRES 8-10 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE DATE OF RECEIPT FOR DOCUMENTS (SUCH AS TRANSCRIPTS) TO BE PROCESSED INTO YOUR FILE.

My application says it's submitted and:

"YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION. YOU MAY CHECK THIS SYSTEM PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES, AND IF THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR RENDERS AN ADMISSION DECISION, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED."

Kind of weird that we would have different messages... but maybe mine's just not under review yet?

**EDIT: At first I thought we had the same messages. Now I realize they are different... mine reads as above. Also, to clarify, I did not receive an email from USC and I assume my app is complete. 

Okay so mine started out as "WE ARE REVIEWING YOUR APPLICATION. THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION IS UPDATED DAILY AND/OR AS CHANGES OCCUR TO YOUR FILE. BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF MATERIALS WE RECEIVE, PLEASE NOTE THAT IT TYPICALLY REQUIRES 8-10 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE DATE OF RECEIPT FOR DOCUMENTS (SUCH AS TRANSCRIPTS) TO BE PROCESSED INTO YOUR FILE."

Then moved to my current one that reads as I posted above, which is that the application is in the first stage of admission. I am assuming that after that it will move to the same as Philosophe which I think we can assume is the last stage of admission before acceptance/denial. DAMMIT YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO THE DEPARTMENT HAS THE FILE OF..

Also USC is a mess. Everything should go straight to the department, it's so much easier that way.

My status is the same as the one reported by zizeksucks, i.e. in the first stage of the evaluation process. I don't think it's that surprising that we have different statuses at this point. It will take some time for all the files to get forwarded to the department and to gave the statuses updated. Try not to freak out!

HOLY SHIT.  I've rarely encountered such a bureaucratic mess of incompetence.  I just got off the phone, after a 40 minute phone call with USC graduate admissions.  Some poor file clerk, probably overworked and underpaid, had to look up my file according to MIDDLE, FIRST, LAST; LAST, MIDDLE, FIRST; FIRST, LAST, MIDDLE INITIAL; etc., and every other permutation, rational and irrational.  He said there were some 50+ people with my name who applied to the graduate school this year.  He found each of my transcripts in different files.  Note also that USC is one of only a few schools that required transcript cover sheets, which I believe is total bullshit.  

Bottom line, if you have this trouble with USC, plan on being on hold for 20+ minutes.  Be really nice to the person who answers, because his job is ridiculous.  I feel sorry for this man.  He was so friendly and so lost.

Here's the info you need:

Telephone:

Tel. 213-740-1111

When you call, there's an option to press TWO for grad admissions.  Then you should press the number for "2012-2013" admissions cycle, because there's NO OPTION FOR 2014.  The system is cold and institutional in demeanor, byzantine in its complexity, and otherwise clumsy and disorganized.

This is an accurate depiction of my experience just now. However, the gentleman told me, "I can't find any transcript for you, dude." So looks like I'll have to send another. I tried calling the department (to no avail) about trying to have them use an unofficial copy in the interim. Not good. 

Okay so mine started out as "WE ARE REVIEWING YOUR APPLICATION. THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION IS UPDATED DAILY AND/OR AS CHANGES OCCUR TO YOUR FILE. BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF MATERIALS WE RECEIVE, PLEASE NOTE THAT IT TYPICALLY REQUIRES 8-10 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE DATE OF RECEIPT FOR DOCUMENTS (SUCH AS TRANSCRIPTS) TO BE PROCESSED INTO YOUR FILE."

Then moved to my current one that reads as I posted above, which is that the application is in the first stage of admission. I am assuming that after that it will move to the same as Philosophe which I think we can assume is the last stage of admission before acceptance/denial. DAMMIT YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO THE DEPARTMENT HAS THE FILE OF..

Also USC is a mess. Everything should go straight to the department, it's so much easier that way.

Gotcha. That would make sense. 

Also, I called USC just to make sure -- they have all of my info, which is with the department. Good luck to everyone else, and beware of the 15 minute hold and godawful music.

Edited by philosophe

Just got off the phone with someone in the Philosophy dept. at USC. Apparently the various statuses (with the exception of 'acceptance' or 'rejection') don't really mean anything. Also, the person I spoke with mentioned that rejections will go out in about a week. The person said nothing about acceptances. 

Just got off the phone with someone in the Philosophy dept. at USC. Apparently the various statuses (with the exception of 'acceptance' or 'rejection') don't really mean anything. Also, the person I spoke with mentioned that rejections will go out in about a week. The person said nothing about acceptances. 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Well now I'm going to be really worried....

Sorry - Checked out for a few hours here.  So I'm very surprised to hear this from you Hopephily, though I don't doubt that you heard it.  If USC releases stuff next week, it will be much earlier than in years past.  But things change from year to year. 

To the bigger issue: the guy at USC admissions with whom I spoke early this afternoon (Eastern time) tells me that all of my transcripts are now in my file.  But I have absolutely no confidence in their system.  So am I still worried?  Absolutely.  I emailed the department directly to check in.  If they're rendering decisions in the next week, then some of us may be too late.  (Unless, as some have said, despite what USC admissions said, the scanned-uploaded copies suffice for a complete review of the application.)

Do people know of any departments that usually give out rejections before acceptances? It seems to me that acceptances usually go out first, or that they go out at around the same time. Is that right?

It only makes sense to release acceptances first. The school would want to hold everyone who's promising in their back pocket just in case their first batch of accepts decides to go elsewhere.

Sorry - Checked out for a few hours here.  So I'm very surprised to hear this from you Hopephily, though I don't doubt that you heard it.  If USC releases stuff next week, it will be much earlier than in years past.  But things change from year to year. 

To the bigger issue: the guy at USC admissions with whom I spoke early this afternoon (Eastern time) tells me that all of my transcripts are now in my file.  But I have absolutely no confidence in their system.  So am I still worried?  Absolutely.  I emailed the department directly to check in.  If they're rendering decisions in the next week, then some of us may be too late.  (Unless, as some have said, despite what USC admissions said, the scanned-uploaded copies suffice for a complete review of the application.)

Yeah I reported what I heard, although it doesn't mean what I reported is in fact true (although I'm inclined to think it is). Still, I agree that it's quite unusual for USC to announce this early and am also not sure of what to make of rejections coming before acceptances if that is indeed what the person I spoke with implicated (as I said, he/she said nothing of the sort explicitly). 

As for the bigger issue: I would recommend you call the department directly if you're concerned. Apparently the application that the ad comm looks at is different from the application that the Graduate Admissions Office (at large) works off of. And for us at this stage, it's the former that matters not the latter.  I should add, that the person I spoke with assured me that the scanned copy would suffice for the ad comm. 

Here's the number I called: (213)-740-4084. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Hopephily

It only makes sense to release acceptances first. The school would want to hold everyone who's promising in their back pocket just in case their first batch of accepts decides to go elsewhere.

I had in mind a situation where the adcom had a batch of applicants that were definitely rejected--no hope of making a wait list even if initial and secondary acceptances were turned down.