Missing materials??!

ianfaircloud

Okay, so there's been a lot of conflict on this forum in the last 48 hours.  Maybe here's something we can agree on:

It's really, really, really frustrating to hear from an admissions office -- three months after you sent the transcripts -- that your transcripts are missing, particularly when all of your transcripts were sent together, and theirs is the only institution (of more than a dozen) that didn't seem to receive them.

USC emails me this morning to say that it hasn't received my transcripts.  This is pretty late in the game to hear about that.

Now I suppose it's better than finding out after decisions are rendered that your transcripts were never received.  (Apparently that happens, too.)

I checked with every institution to ensure that all my materials were received, etc.  But USC states clearly on the website that it will contact you if your file is incomplete.  It's nice that USC contacted me, but one wonders whether completing the file at this late hour will be enough...

Thoughts?  Has this happened to you?  Why am I so frustrated by this?  Maybe I'm tired and ready to be done with this shit.

Okay, so there's been a lot of conflict on this forum in the last 48 hours.  Maybe here's something we can agree on:

It's really, really, really frustrating to hear from an admissions office -- three months after you sent the transcripts -- that your transcripts are missing, particularly when all of your transcripts were sent together, and theirs is the only institution (of more than a dozen) that didn't seem to receive them.

USC emails me this morning to say that it hasn't received my transcripts.  This is pretty late in the game to hear about that.

Now I suppose it's better than finding out after decisions are rendered that your transcripts were never received.  (Apparently that happens, too.)

I checked with every institution to ensure that all my materials were received, etc.  But USC states clearly on the website that it will contact you if your file is incomplete.  It's nice that USC contacted me, but one wonders whether completing the file at this late hour will be enough...

Thoughts?  Has this happened to you?  Why am I so frustrated by this?  Maybe I'm tired and ready to be done with this shit.

Yeah, Penn State contacted me a while back, but my transcripts at the time were showing incompletes. I've had to wait until this week to send them to Penn State. I understand your frustration. I'd much rather be done, sit back, and wallow in my anxiety.

Well it sounds like it's not too late if they're bothering to contact you, so that's good news! First thing I would do is tell them you'll send an unofficial transcript via email (either from the web or scanned) and they can evaluate you on that. Then they can match it up with your official transcript when it arrives. Also make sure to tell them the date it should have been sent. A few schools told me they didn't have mine, and when I firmly told them, "No, I sent it on this date and the mailing receipt says it arrived on this date" they miraculously found it. -_-

Edited by iphi

I received an e-mail yesterday from a school yesterday saying they could "not access my GRE scores in their system." To supplement this error, they asked I email them an unofficial report of my GRE scores. I took it as a good sign that they took the time to contact me for my scores,and I am happy they did so. However, I also felt frustrated for having spent $25 on sending official GRE scores to them which they are 'unable to access.' 

It happened to me too. I had the sense that they were requesting the missing materials only at the last minute of the beginning of the review process. I strongly believe that my missing materials did not make it on time; they arrived only after the admissions committee had held the first meeting. The committee would not postpone the meeting only for a single person. I got so frustrated and wanted my application fee back. 

Edited by Platonist

How are you so sure?

Intuition. Also, they urged me to do it very quickly, but I cannot for many reasons. I submitted them about 4 days after I received their email notice. So I am pretty sure my missing documents did not arrive on time. I spent 80 dollars only to find that my application did not get reviewed. More importantly, I missed an opportunity. I was really really frustrated.

Well it sounds like it's not too late if they're bothering to contact you, so that's good news! First thing I would do is tell them you'll send an unofficial transcript via email (either from the web or scanned) and they can evaluate you on that. Then they can match it up with your official transcript when it arrives. Also make sure to tell them the date it should have been sent. A few schools told me they didn't have mine, and when I firmly told them, "No, I sent it on this date and the mailing receipt says it arrived on this date" they miraculously found it. -_-

This strikes me as good advice.  I planned to call them first thing this morning.  (It's still 8:00 a.m. at USC.  So I'll wait another hour.)  I'm hoping I don't have to resend official transcripts, because it's costly and time-consuming (for someone who has a few degrees).  Also, my transcript has changed since November -- I have an 'incomplete' on my record.  So I'd really, really like not to have to resend them.  

(Incidentally, a similar thing happened to me regarding Rutgers.)

I've mentioned on a few other threads -- I used to work in a graduate admissions office, where basically I was the transcript person. I used to be the one emailing people, etc. Send them a scanned/unofficial copy. If they have that they'll go ahead and send the unofficial copy for review. They wouldn't hold up the process for that reason. 

On a related note, I'm anxious because on my main transcript there was a third, blank page. I deleted this page to make the file smaller when uploading, but on the bottom it reads "page 1 of 3" etc. I'm afraid they'll think I'm hiding the last page for some reason... though the degree conferral and final gpa on the front should confirm there are no other classes. :/

Intuition. Also, they urged me to do it very quickly, but I cannot for many reasons. I submitted them about 4 days after I received their email notice. So I am pretty sure my missing documents did not arrive on time. I spent 80 dollars only to find that my application did not get reviewed. More importantly, I missed an opportunity. I was really really frustrated.

I ask since i am stuck in a more or less similar situation. Can't we just write back to them asking whether at all, all our docs were received and put together in time for the application review process? It's quite possible that we are panicking at this point and just letting our unfounded fears get the better of us. I mean to say don't just depend on your intuition and despair. 

More importantly, I missed an opportunity. I was really really frustrated.

You can't put a price on an opportunity.  I'm not in a position to reapply next year.  This is it for me.  That's part of the reason I was very frustrated to hear that Colorado isn't an option this year.

I've mentioned on a few other threads -- I used to work in a graduate admissions office, where basically I was the transcript person. I used to be the one emailing people, etc. Send them a scanned/unofficial copy. If they have that they'll go ahead and send the unofficial copy for review. They wouldn't hold up the process for that reason. 

On a related note, I'm anxious because on my main transcript there was a third, blank page. I deleted this page to make the file smaller when uploading, but on the bottom it reads "page 1 of 3" etc. I'm afraid they'll think I'm hiding the last page for some reason... though the degree conferral and final gpa on the front should confirm there are no other classes. :/

Thanks, friend.  This is good to hear.  Also, I've had worries similar to yours (above).  Here's mine: I have an "F" on my transcript, signifying that I withdrew from a practicum at another graduate school after the withdrawal deadline.  The practicum was not for GPA credit, so the "F" really indicates nothing about me academically.  But here again, it's easy to worry that a member of an admissions committee could glance at it and set my application aside.  With 300+ applicants begging for admission, these committees can afford to be risk averse.

Thanks, friend.  This is good to hear.  Also, I've had worries similar to yours (above).  Here's mine: I have an "F" on my transcript, signifying that I withdrew from a practicum at another graduate school after the withdrawal deadline.  The practicum was not for GPA credit, so the "F" really indicates nothing about me academically.  But here again, it's easy to worry that a member of an admissions committee could glance at it and set my application aside.  With 300+ applicants begging for admission, these committees can afford to be risk averse.

oof. did you explain that in the "explanation" section? 

I ask since i am stuck in a more or less similar situation. Can't we just write back to them asking whether at all, all our docs were received and put together in time for the application review process? It's quite possible that we are panicking at this point and just letting our unfounded fears get the better of us. I mean to say don't just depend on your intuition and despair. 

I did write to them,  but got no response. That confirmed my guess that I missed the review process. Still, you can write to them with this inquiry, and you might get a positive response. Please let me know how they have replied. Thanks. 

I got the same email. I could have sworn that I uploaded unofficial transcripts in the application. Have you heard anything from them? 

The email requires that I mail the transcripts and says nothing about emailing unofficial transcripts, so I'm not sure this will work. 

oof. did you explain that in the "explanation" section? 

No.  And I know a lot of folks will say that was a mistake.  It was a tough call, and it's a complicated issue (that can't be explained here).  But basically I didn't want to draw attention to some related issues that are connected with my withdrawal from that practicum.  My hope is that it will be overlooked.  My worry is that it won't be.  And the risk of explaining the withdrawal-failure is that eyes will be drawn to something that otherwise would have been overlooked.  The risk of not explaining is that it may not be overlooked (hence my concern here), and members of committees are left guessing.  I know a lot of people will think this was a very bad move.  I guess I felt a bit trapped.

I got the same email. I could have sworn that I uploaded unofficial transcripts in the application. Have you heard anything from them? 

Did you get that email this morning???  I definitely uploaded the unofficial ones.  And I definitely sent them official transcripts in November.  So they've lost them.  No doubt about it.  I'll keep you posted.  Will you do the same?  I'm going to call them in 15 minutes.

Did you get that email this morning???  I definitely uploaded the unofficial ones.  And I definitely sent them official transcripts in November.  So they've lost them.  No doubt about it.  I'll keep you posted.  Will you do the same?  I'm going to call them in 15 minutes.

Yep, I got the email this morning. I believe I had the official scores sent too, but I'm not really sure anymore... Yeah I'll definitely let you know if I hear anything back from them as I sent an email inquiring. 

Edited by Hopephily

Yep, I got the email this morning. I believe I had the official scores sent too, but I'm not really sure anymore... Yeah I'll definitely let you know if I hear anything back from them as I sent an email inquiring. 

HOLY SHIT.  I've rarely encountered such a bureaucratic mess of incompetence.  I just got off the phone, after a 40 minute phone call with USC graduate admissions.  Some poor file clerk, probably overworked and underpaid, had to look up my file according to MIDDLE, FIRST, LAST; LAST, MIDDLE, FIRST; FIRST, LAST, MIDDLE INITIAL; etc., and every other permutation, rational and irrational.  He said there were some 50+ people with my name who applied to the graduate school this year.  He found each of my transcripts in different files.  Note also that USC is one of only a few schools that required transcript cover sheets, which I believe is total bullshit.  

Bottom line, if you have this trouble with USC, plan on being on hold for 20+ minutes.  Be really nice to the person who answers, because his job is ridiculous.  I feel sorry for this man.  He was so friendly and so lost.

Here's the info you need:

Telephone:

Tel. 213-740-1111

When you call, there's an option to press TWO for grad admissions.  Then you should press the number for "2012-2013" admissions cycle, because there's NO OPTION FOR 2014.  The system is cold and institutional in demeanor, byzantine in its complexity, and otherwise clumsy and disorganized.

I didn't get this email, and I sure hope they have my official transcripts. What do your guys status say at USC? Mine says:

"Submitted: Thank you for applying to graduate study at USC. Your file is currently in the first stage of our evaluation process. We will notify you if additional information or materials are required. Please contact your intended academic department directly to make sure all supplemental application materials have been received."

Somehow, by applying to Utah I got on their mass email list. Today, I received an email saying, "It's not too late to apply to the U!" I nearly had a heart attack. I was like, "I thought I already did?" I freaked out and checked my application, and sure enough, everything is complete. Whew! 

OKAY, I talked to USC on the phone.  It was horrible.  I just posted on the first page of this thread (post #20?).  So you may miss my post.  Please read it!!!  It's important info for you who applied to USC.

Edited by ianfaircloud

The email requires that I mail the transcripts and says nothing about emailing unofficial transcripts, so I'm not sure this will work. 

Right... the idea here is to get your file read. They're not going to hand this to you on a plate. I suggest you write to them suggesting you give your unofficial transcripts to allow time for your official ones to arrive. This is after you call and have them try to find your transcript. If they are unsuccessful, try this option.

I didn't get this email, and I sure hope they have my official transcripts. What do your guys status say at USC? Mine says:

"Submitted: Thank you for applying to graduate study at USC. Your file is currently in the first stage of our evaluation process. We will notify you if additional information or materials are required. Please contact your intended academic department directly to make sure all supplemental application materials have been received."

You know, I guess there's no way to know.  If they're this disorganized, who knows whether your application will get reviewed.  Seriously!  The department doesn't have the time to do the job of the admissions office.

To answer your question directly, this is what my site said today:

"We are reviewing your application. The status of your application is updated daily and/or as changes occur to your file. Because of the volume of materials we receive, please note that it typically requires 8-10 business days from the date of receipt for documents (such as transcripts) to be processed into your file. "