Plan B?

philosophe

After my first rejection yesterday, I realized that I would probably feel better about a possible shut out if I had a plan B. I've planned on a PhD in philosophy for the last four years, and now I'm faced with the realization that I might need to find something else entirely.

I was wondering if anyone else has thought about their plan B? I'd be interested in hearing everyone's alternative ambitions for the just-in-case.

Haha this same thought has been on my mind too. One of my options is law school, as I imagine it is for many of you. However, I'd need to take another year to prep for the LSAT and submit applications, since this year's cycle is already well under way.

If I get shut out, on the bright side I will be completely free. I will have no obligations other than to make enough money to keep myself alive. Maybe I can travel :)

Haha this same thought has been on my mind too. One of my options is law school, as I imagine it is for many of you. However, I'd need to take another year to prep for the LSAT and submit applications, since this year's cycle is already well under way.

If I get shut out, on the bright side I will be completely free. I will have no obligations other than to make enough money to keep myself alive. Maybe I can travel :)

yeah I will be free, but poooooor as crap. So I'll probably try to find a half-way decent job (the one I do now is hourly and doesn't pay much anything more than survival $$$) - Once I do that, I'll start working on some instrumental hip-hop music and writing shitty science fiction novels and just save some money to do random and crazy things. I might try to start a pizzaria one day, since I live in a place without decent pizza and I know how to make decent NY Elite style pizza. I dunno, I don't really want a real backup plan, I just want to live a decent life and I'll figure it out if I don't get in. But hopefully that won't happen to any of us!

I have no idea. I don't know if I want a Plan B. I've spent 7 years working towards Plan A. I think it would be nice going with the flow a little instead of struggling to implement some other plan for how I want my life to go. 

After my first rejection yesterday, I realized that I would probably feel better about a possible shut out if I had a plan B. I've planned on a PhD in philosophy for the last four years, and now I'm faced with the realization that I might need to find something else entirely.

I was wondering if anyone else has thought about their plan B? I'd be interested in hearing everyone's alternative ambitions for the just-in-case.

Well, maybe start by asking yourself what draws you to philosophy.  The answer to that question may help you identify other possibilities.  For me, the answer to that question leads me to apply also to law schools.  There's some overlap between law and philosophy, in terms of what's required of a good lawyer and a good philosopher.  Also you could pursue another field in the academy, one whose admissions are less competitive.  Psychology, anthropology, and politics are common interests among students of philosophy, in my experience.  

The LSAT isn't so bad.  You'd do well, I'm sure.

I agree with the sentiment that you may want a backup plan.  The last time I received a bunch of rejections, I was glad that I had a backup plan (namely the MA at that point).

But in the meantime, maybe don't sell yourself too short here.  We are STILL REALLY EARLY in the process.  Only a few big ones have sent acceptances.

I've got a lot of plates in the air, just in case nothing philosophy-related pans out. 

One option is just to get whatever job I can manage, preferably at a college or museum. Another option is to go super practical and shift to getting a basic med degree and become a medical technician. A third option is to travel, bum around on couchsurfing, and reapply next semester.  

I would stage a Marxist revolution.

But in all seriousness, I would apply again next time and probably continue to work at the small corner store near my house for another year (only because I doubt I'd be able to find other, more "cerebral," work). Thanks, philosophy major.

Well, maybe start by asking yourself what draws you to philosophy.  The answer to that question may help you identify other possibilities.  For me, the answer to that question leads me to apply also to law schools.  There's some overlap between law and philosophy, in terms of what's required of a good lawyer and a good philosopher.  Also you could pursue another field in the academy, one whose admissions are less competitive.  Psychology, anthropology, and politics are common interests among students of philosophy, in my experience.  

The LSAT isn't so bad.  You'd do well, I'm sure.

I agree with the sentiment that you may want a backup plan.  The last time I received a bunch of rejections, I was glad that I had a backup plan (namely the MA at that point).

But in the meantime, maybe don't sell yourself too short here.  We are STILL REALLY EARLY in the process.  Only a few big ones have sent acceptances.

Thanks, but I'm not at all interested in law (unfortunately). In terms of what drew me to philosophy, probably the thought experiments, the good-spirited debate, the emphasis on writing and critical thinking -- hell, it's all pretty interesting stuff. 

Reapplying is not in the stars for me. I've been out of school for a year and a half, and that time has come between me and my letter-writers already. That, and I'm not going to produce a writing sample any better than this one, considering I've got a full-time job and haven't been in class for quite some time. 

I'm not trying to sell myself short, it's just that if it doesn't work out I'm starting to wonder what I should do for my next adventure. Obviously this is the dream, but it would give me some peace of mind to have something else to hold onto if all else fails. I've always had a plan, but something about staying at my 9-5 job feels rather easy and unsatisfying, and I want a challenge and to move onto something bigger and better, once I figure out what else that could be. 

Guess I've got some thinking to do!

Edited by philosophe

I will probably re-apply. As heart-wrenching as it would be to wait an additional year, I have a wonderful spouse that is happy to support me while I pursue this. I'll have a thesis completed that I could use as a writing sample (if it turns out to be any good), and I could use the year to try and get something published and/or get an adjunct position with my MA. It wouldn't be the worst of all possible worlds, I could move somewhere warmer for a year.  ;)

My plan B is more realistic than my plan A. I told myself that this is the only year I'd apply to programs because I am not getting any younger and I really could be happy with plan B. I am trying to not be too discouraged already, I have only had one rejection and one wait list so far, but it is difficult to be high in spirit with so many unknowns. My plan right now, if I do not get in anywhere, is to complete an internship this summer and then travel for a couple months in the fall. I might even retake the GRE (or punch the GRE right in the face). Plan B isn't always the bad idea out of the two. I am pretty sure my plan B might be better than plan A, but sometimes we want the thing that isn't even the best idea. We are human and dumb like that. 

This is my second season applying. I'm not really sure what I'll do if I don't get accepted. I have decided not to reapply since I feel as though I've done everything I can this last year to improve my application. I will probably look for a full-time job with benefits, which may mean giving up on an academic career.