Starting to panic a little... 1 official rejection and 2 implied... all from my top 3 choices!

I'm starting to think about taking a gap year, so I don't have to "settle" with an English PhD program that doesn't have good placement, isn't well ranked, etc.

Is it possible to improve an application so much during a gap year that one might have a shot at a top program to which they were denied in a past year? If I reapplied, my stats would go up (3.7 to 3.8 GPA, would have "graduated cum laude" on my app, etc). 

What do people do during gap years? I'd ideally like to get a fascinating job and take more classes at a top school to boost my application. But I'm not qualified for any jobs really, and does taking a couple of classes actually help an app?....

Thanks for any replies!

If you could take a class with a well-respected professor who could write you a letter of rec, it could certainly help. Of course, part of what becoming a well-respected prof means is that you usually don't teach the kind of courses people can just sign up for.

Applying for awards or programs or submitting publications to undergraduate journals could be a benefit as well.

I think you should really consider a gap  year more for yourself than for your applications, personally. Take the year to explore more interests and have fun.

Gap year might help you develop your interests further, read more, try to publish, try to travel abroad if that's within your means.

If you read the Fall 2014 thread yesterday, you probably saw that rejections don't necessarily means that your application is bad, ergo needs improvement. Maybe you just got unlucky this time because the school didn't see the "fit" that you saw.

I'm trying to prepare myself for a gap year as well. Still, try not to resign yourself to it before all answers are in. During the application process, I realized a couple of things I would improve if I had to do it all over again (mostly in terms of time management and being happy with my application portfolio), and if I have to, I'll try to do that, but if you think your application is already strong, you should probably rely on that. Also, it helps to go through your documents with some distance. But again, don't convince yourself you'll have to take a gap year before all replies are in. ;)

Good luck!

Okay so I took a gap year this year after completing my under graduation last year. I had applied to only one school last year for post grad and was rejected. It was world shattering. I went into idk pseudo depression for a while but then I geared up and well decided to fully utilise the year.

During my gap year I started interning at two places, with that I read on articles and started working on my personal statement, CV, anything which could make my application better. Now I have 7 acceptances in hand and plus 2 more pending. I reapplied to the school where I was rejected last year. Though I am wait listed there but still!

So gap year can be used for anything to everything! Read books, volunteer, intern, make your apps much better, take a job or just chill for a lil while.

In any case, good luck :)

I'm thinking about teaching for a year if things go south for me. I might also throw in the towel. I just don't have the money to do this again (or to work an internship)--I'm thinking about seeking work at a community college. Anyone have any experience with that? 50% of my reason for pursuing a PhD is for me to teach.

Anyway, as others have states, it doesn't mean there was anything wrong with your app. The application process is very arbitrary. You can try again next year if you don't get in somewhere you like this year and you might get in. Of course, I can't imagine it would hurt to get some academic experience under your belt in the mean time.

I'm on my second year of teaching at one of our local universities, which I started after my inforced gap 2-years.  It definitely had its ups and downs, but I found it really great, over all.  It adds to your resume, gives you experience, and helps you feel, at least a little, like you still have your foot in the door.

Also a great chance to get a rec from someone who sees you teach, especially if you lose touch with one or two professors.

Check community colleges, and also 4-year schools; a lot of times they will use adjuncts for freshman comp or other such classes.

Definitely something I recommend if you have the opportunity.  But I have to start grading now, so I might change my tune in the next hour. :)

Okay so I took a gap year this year after completing my under graduation last year. I had applied to only one school last year for post grad and was rejected. It was world shattering. I went into idk pseudo depression for a while but then I geared up and well decided to fully utilise the year.

During my gap year I started interning at two places, with that I read on articles and started working on my personal statement, CV, anything which could make my application better. Now I have 7 acceptances in hand and plus 2 more pending. I reapplied to the school where I was rejected last year. Though I am wait listed there but still!

So gap year can be used for anything to everything! Read books, volunteer, intern, make your apps much better, take a job or just chill for a lil while.

In any case, good luck :)

May I ask what type of internships you're doing? Not sure what types of internship I should maybe think about ;P

And thanks for all the suggestions, everyone :) 

Starting to panic a little... 1 official rejection and 2 implied... all from my top 3 choices!

I'm starting to think about taking a gap year, so I don't have to "settle" with an English PhD program that doesn't have good placement, isn't well ranked, etc.

Is it possible to improve an application so much during a gap year that one might have a shot at a top program to which they were denied in a past year? If I reapplied, my stats would go up (3.7 to 3.8 GPA, would have "graduated cum laude" on my app, etc). 

What do people do during gap years? I'd ideally like to get a fascinating job and take more classes at a top school to boost my application. But I'm not qualified for any jobs really, and does taking a couple of classes actually help an app?....

Thanks for any replies!

Gap year is a bit of a loaded term, usually one that refers specifically to a break in between high school and undergrad, but always one that means you will be taking a break from the normal course of your career. I think what you are talking about is more of a year dedicated to professional development. To give you my personal experience, I took four. And it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I say this because I knew I wanted to get into a graduate program directly after undergrad, but I took time off instead so I could be with my wife while she finished up her own career training. I worked a job I hated but did well and made good money, but eventually my wife said she could tell I was extremely depressed because I wasn't in school. I began to take classes at a local university "non-degree seeking," which nearly every school will let you do as long as you pay tuition and have a degree. This time made me appreciate the opportunities and learning that I had in school that I didn't before, and it gave me time to really decide if this was the trajectory and path my life needed to take. I also made some incredible connections with professors who I remain in contact with today, especially one who wrote one of my letters of recommendation this year. IMO, taking classes if you can is a fantastic way to show you're dedicated, and you will stand out in a class because you are the one who is there for no other reason than because you love it. If you want, I'm happy to talk more about my experience or answer any questions I can in a PM.

Edited by Chadillac

May I ask what type of internships you're doing? Not sure what types of internship I should maybe think about ;P

And thanks for all the suggestions, everyone :)

Okay so my field of interest is international development, women empowerment and child rights. So I worked with an international organisations working on these issues. I was a Research & Documentation intern there. While at the other foundation, I taught children life skills like art & craft, self defence, singing, dancing etc.

So yep it did teach me tons and I am really happy I took a gap year. With that, I agree with Chadillac that's it was more like a professional development phase.

I've taken several gap years between high school and undergrad.

I'm closer to 30 than I am to 25.

So I'd like to get accepted and start working towards building my career.

Or win the lottery and have fewer financial worries.

Me, too! All of that - except I went straight to college after high school. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken several gap years between high school and undergrad.

I'm closer to 30 than I am to 25.

So I'd like to get accepted and start working towards building my career.

Or win the lottery and have fewer financial worries.

Gap year might help you develop your interests further, read more, try to publish, try to travel abroad if that's within your means.

If you read the Fall 2014 thread yesterday, you probably saw that rejections don't necessarily means that your application is bad, ergo needs improvement. Maybe you just got unlucky this time because the school didn't see the "fit" that you saw.

I'm trying to prepare myself for a gap year as well. Still, try not to resign yourself to it before all answers are in. During the application process, I realized a couple of things I would improve if I had to do it all over again (mostly in terms of time management and being happy with my application portfolio), and if I have to, I'll try to do that, but if you think your application is already strong, you should probably rely on that. Also, it helps to go through your documents with some distance. But again, don't convince yourself you'll have to take a gap year before all replies are in. ;)

Good luck!

I am seriously thinking about it these days. I already worked for almost 2 years and I missed literature research so much.

While full-time working, I can not concentrate on preparing my materials and I really think that that was one the main point why I suck this year, the lack of research.

I wrote my SOP in business trip, and my writing sample during the night. Weekends are used to study GRE math and Toefl and if friends want to catch up, there is not much time left. I am not sure if I can do that again this year. But concerning financial problems I am not sure about it. Well, there is still 1 month to wait. If I get 8 rejections out of 8, I think I maybe take a gap year.