Acceptance not guaranteed... still visit? (They're paying for the visit)

agent229

Applied to a PhD program and was told that they really want me, but cannot guarantee funding at this point. They say they are working on securing more funding in order to give me an official offer. They don't know how long this will take. However, they have offered $500 to cover travel expenses for me to come to the visit day, and have encouraged me to go ahead and make travel plans.

Would you visit? I would definitely visit if I knew I was funded, but I feel like it might be weird if I make travel plans now to visit, and then find out they can't fund me... that would be odd... or do I wait to make plans and hope to hear from them about funding? 

Will it be a visit weekend for all accepted students or just you traveling on you own?

It's a visit weekend type thing. I suppose I should do it. It's still more than a month in the future though, so maybe I will wait to make plans and hope to hear more definitive news from them first...

Does $500 cover all or most of the related expenses? If so, I'd do it. If not, then it would be wise to wait a bit longer in case you get any more funding information.

Agree, I forgot to ask about that. You should not pay for the expense especially if there's a real chance that you're not going there.

Edited by VioletAyame

Applied to a PhD program and was told that they really want me, but cannot guarantee funding at this point. They say they are working on securing more funding in order to give me an official offer. They don't know how long this will take. However, they have offered $500 to cover travel expenses for me to come to the visit day, and have encouraged me to go ahead and make travel plans.

Would you visit? I would definitely visit if I knew I was funded, but I feel like it might be weird if I make travel plans now to visit, and then find out they can't fund me... that would be odd... or do I wait to make plans and hope to hear from them about funding? 

Well, you can potentially fly-in in the morning, then return in the evening.  I would do it.  

About funding.  If they were to get funding today, they more-than-likely would not have access to it until about a year from now.  At least that is how it generally works with the sciences that I am aware of.  It is possible they have some reserve cash they can release immediately once they know more funding is coming in, I dunno.  

But hey, they only said they cannot guarantee funding at this point, and they were working on it..not that they definitely do not have the funds.  

Our department no longer gives out funding prior to visits/Skype interviews. Tooany bad experiences with someone who looked great on paper, and turned out to be less than expected.

Everyone that visits now is on the list for acceptance and funding now, assuming they don't really turn out to not fit in at all.

Not saying yours is the same case, but it's possible.

If your costs are completely covered, including accommodations and food, then you have nothing to lose by visiting over the weekend. Take the opportunity to speak with the current students as well as your POI. Even if the University doesn't manage to secure the funding, you will have made relevant contacts in your field. It might feel weird, but the folks at the schools to which you applied (but will not attend) will still be your future colleagues.