Silent Grad School?

EccentricAcademic

If anyone has knowledge that I do not have, please feel free to enlighten me.

I have applied to Princeton's Near Eastern Studies Ph.D. and have not heard a thing; however I see on the results that people are getting either rejections or invited for interviews (shortlisted) for the same program.

Is there some kind of in-between state that I do not know about? That they do not say? I'm reasoning that if I haven't been shortlisted or outright rejected (since I haven't heard from them) then I've been placed in a different category?

I've made sure I haven't missed a call or email, and nothing has arrived in the mail. Perhaps I'm being impatient.

Princeton has so far proved enigmatic at best.

Edited by Historian7

Most programs reject people that are not admittable, interview top candidates and then go on from there. IE, if you havent been rejected you still have a chance, but it is probably not likely that you will get in if you havent already gotten an interview when others have. Strange things happen, maybe you are 2nd or 3rd on a professors list and they are just waiting for their top choice.

good luck

I would say schools get back to you at different times for the same result.  The biggest indicator is if you haven't heard but you know the interviews have been completed, then i would say you can imply a rejection.  If not there is still a chance.

That's a good rule of thumb, thanks. 

Are the dates on the results page real time, or are the put ahead or behind a few hours?

Real time. When you submit a result, you can specify the date that you received the notification (via email, portal, or phone call). The entries in the Results page however are sorted according to when they were submitted by the users. Good luck!  :)

Waiting to hear from East Asian studies at Princeton myself. I had an interview via skype before which they told me they were impressed and that I was being actively considered. It is my first choice of school, and my Plan B is to give up on 2014 and the US all together and consider something closer to home, so I am feeling quite anxious to say the least. However I haven't heard anything at all in the weeks following the interview in January. Looking at previous years I see that people report being accepted in late Feb, even early March, but I would like to at least have some contact from them if I am still being considered to let me know how it is going.

Current grad student at Dartmouth. Applied and accepted to Edinburgh. Waiting on Oxford History of Science.  Was told that they would reevaluate my app after the Jan 24 deadline. Have seen no postings about Dphil History admissions at OX. Curious if anyone has insight or if it's just a waiting game.   Thoughts?