How do grad students dress?

LittleDarlings

i once ate at a fancy restaurant with a coworker wearing tshirts and shorts. and no, we didn't have a reservation, and people were eyeballing the shit out of us. I didn't care

Yes, get the extra outfit. Yes, be mindful of what's "appropriate". But then, if you want to wear yoga pants and UGGs, go for it. Just be productive though; if you look lazy you can't be lazy.

I have a big beard and mustache. Today I wore a grey baseball hat, an army green "Punisher" shirt (as in Punisher the comic book), and khakis suitable for manual labor.

I work in a computer lab as a graduate researcher, where I crunch numbers for a research institute. I'm definitely not an example of professionalism, but I get away with it because my superiors like my work and rely on me to a great extent.

I guess I'm trying to say that you can dress as you like, but if you dress casually you need to demonstrate that your work is solid.

Edited by Roll Right

• 1 year later...
On 2014/2/14 at 4:52 AM, Shari A Williams said:

For the most part I stick to leggings with an oversized long-sleeved sweater, or solid colour skinny jeans with a long sleeved sweater-like top. Sometimes I might wear a short sleeved sweater dress/top that's not particularly long with my leggings, or a top that's super bright...but it tends not be on days when I have to do my TA duties. Granted, I live somewhere where there is snow on the ground from October to very early May...but I'll just switch to some nice button up tops at that point.

Oh and I generally stay away from graphics or super-bold patterns. I too look and come off about 7 years younger than I actually am so I try to dress with that in mind. 

I like wear shirts with jeans.

I realized I posted here before starting grad school, asking whether I should carry an extra outfit in my backpack, as my campus is on a mountain and I sweat easily. Ha, that didn't happen! I just learned to wear lightweight clothing and NEVER wear heels!  I'm a TA, so I usually wear black, stretchy pants and a nice top. Comfy and makes me look semi-professional. I also have a lot of dresses because I love dresses O_O

In engineering I find it pretty casual. I don't think too many people wear leggings/yoga pants simply because it's pretty cold here in the winter. I'm on my feet all day running around doing experiments so I dress for that: sneakers, jeans, clean t-shirt. As long as you're dressed appropriately for lab nobody really bothers you about it. If I have a interlab presentation I may dress up to business casual and all other event where I'm a representative of my lab to outside folks I'll go semi-formal to formal. 

I think it depends on the lab and field. When we have parents and children in the lab (I'm in Developmental Psychology), I wear jeans and shirts that most of the time could pass as business casual or solid color tshirts and scarves in my university colors. When I'm conducting research in schools I wear business casual (which will probably become my TA outfits when I'm no longer an RA). My favorite go to class and work in my office outfit at the moment has become a solid color tshirt and scarf which I then don't feel too bad about going to seminars or meetings with faculty wearing. I wear smart causal to things like visiting speakers talks or faculty search receptions since we are representing our university.