UC San Diego

Rejection email from Stanford's Modern Thought and Lit (which I was already expecting) followed, not even 5 minutes later, by a phone call from Santa Cruz. It really is a bumpy ride.

Side note: is it completely insane to attempt to drive from San Diego Wednesday night (after the open house) up to Santa Cruz for Thursday's orientation?

Most direct route is 7 hours.

Rejection email from Stanford's Modern Thought and Lit (which I was already expecting) followed, not even 5 minutes later, by a phone call from Santa Cruz. It really is a bumpy ride.

Side note: is it completely insane to attempt to drive from San Diego Wednesday night (after the open house) up to Santa Cruz for Thursday's orientation?

It probably is since I am, at this point, completely certifiable AND I am probably going to attempt it.

That's gonna be one bad ass road trip, though. Take the scenic route!!!

That's gonna be one bad ass road trip, though. Take the scenic route!!!

Most def. If you have the stomach and time, take Route 1. If not for this trip, at some other point. Gorgeous. I lived in Monterey for three years, and I loved driving down 1 for a few hours and just taking in the cliffs and ocean views. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not :(

darn! I'm sorry cbttcher. the travel expense is too great from germany? is there anything you're particularly dying to know or want more info on? I can ask for you and report back after the weekend is over. :)

darn! I'm sorry cbttcher. the travel expense is too great from germany? is there anything you're particularly dying to know or want more info on? I can ask for you and report back after the weekend is over. :)

That and I couldn't get off from work. I'm actually trying to set up a time for a skype call with one of the professors right now. But I'm not opposed to hear about your impression of the department afterwards. :)

The campus was beautiful. I know something was said about the architecture being ugly or something but truthfully it was gorgeous. Clear, cool sunlight, trees everywhere (I love the smell of eucalyptus trees!), I mean, there were freaking BUNNIES hopping across the quad and butterflies floating over our heads. It was ridiculous. There seemed to be a lot of on-campus resources (different centers, places to study/eat/rest/etc.) and the campus is H U G E. The department took us to dinner and the walk from the department to the restaurant took about 20 minutes. The professors that I met were all incredibly warm and supportive, even the ones who aren't in my area were excited and encouraging about my project. The grad students were very friendly and eager to give us information and answer questions. That said, I was only able to meet one of my POIs and it didn't seem like a match made in heaven. I'm waiting to hear back from another couple of professors who weren't able to attend and then I'll make my decision. If you want anything more detailed, just PM me. :)

The campus was beautiful. I know something was said about the architecture being ugly or something but truthfully it was gorgeous. Clear, cool sunlight, trees everywhere (I love the smell of eucalyptus trees!), I mean, there were freaking BUNNIES hopping across the quad and butterflies floating over our heads. It was ridiculous. There seemed to be a lot of on-campus resources (different centers, places to study/eat/rest/etc.) and the campus is H U G E. The department took us to dinner and the walk from the department to the restaurant took about 20 minutes. The professors that I met were all incredibly warm and supportive, even the ones who aren't in my area were excited and encouraging about my project. The grad students were very friendly and eager to give us information and answer questions. That said, I was only able to meet one of my POIs and it didn't seem like a match made in heaven. I'm waiting to hear back from another couple of professors who weren't able to attend and then I'll make my decision. If you want anything more detailed, just PM me. :)

This is the kind of shit im saying goodbye to for the freaking Midwest. I saw squirrels running around there, no bunnies.

This is the kind of shit im saying goodbye to for the freaking Midwest. I saw squirrels running around there, no bunnies.

I saw that! I'm so excited for you! I'm sure you'll find enough to compensate there. And truthfully it's looking like upstate New York for me....we can unite in our wintery misery. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Am I really the only one heading to San Diego? :(

I'm sure not the only one. There were a good 15 people at the visit day I attended. You are going to be so happy with the kind faculty, the delicious weather, and the beautiful location!  ^_^

I'm sure not the only one. There were a good 15 people at the visit day I attended. You are going to be so happy with the kind faculty, the delicious weather, and the beautiful location!  ^_^

I really hope so. Thank you!  :lol: