UC San Diego

Does anyone have any experience with this program? I expect this to be my only acceptance and I honestly wouldn't mind that one bit but I would like to hear if someone has any insight on this program.

Yeah I don't have any personal experience with the program, but I did meet some people from it at a conference I attended in November, and they all seemed like really great and knowledgeable people.

Also, San Diego is gorgeous, and I LOVED the food there.

Well I can tell you about the City of San Diego. 

It is awesome. I loved the weather. Loved the food. I could spend the rest of my life in a cave in San Diego and be happy. 

Yeah I don't have any personal experience with the program, but I did meet some people from it at a conference I attended in November, and they all seemed like really great and knowledgeable people.

Also, San Diego is gorgeous, and I LOVED the food there.

Thank you for your replies! I really love the program even though British lit is not their strength. The funding package is just not the greatest because I have to pay back a loan but I'd really love to go there. :) At least I'd have GOOD FOOD which is very important when I'm crying about a paper. :P

I was also accepted to UCSD Lit, and it is high on my list.  San Diego is an incredibly beautiful town, and it seems like a vibrant city. Also, I concur, it has amazing food. I don't know much about the program outside of what I can find on the website, so can't offer much help. I'm also concerned about the funding package as San Diego can be pretty expensive. Are you going to the campus visit? Feel free to PM me.

I was also accepted at UCSD. The campus is actually in La Jolla. It isn't officially a separate city from San Diego but the different "neighborhoods" there tend to feel like their own towns. La Jolla is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the US and is beautiful. I was worried about attending b/c the funding is on the low side but when I researched grad housing I saw that the campus has subsidized housing. The prices for university housing are low enough to make survival on a TAship possible. I emailed the grad coordinator and she said the university goes out of their way to make sure that every student can be accommodated b/c studios in La Jolla can start at upwards of $1250. 

I like San Diego, there are many different areas each with their own flavor and there are so many things to do there. As far as the program goes, the reason I chose to apply there is the emphasis they place on interdisciplinary study. I have a tendency to want to do ALL-THE-THINGS-RIGHT-NOW and a program that will let me embrace that spazzy tendency is a plus for me! :)  I've been emailing with one of my POIs there and she's been kind and supportive. She also stressed the fact that the department will let us take seminars in different subjects and let us develop in up to three fields.

I don't know if any of this helps....hopefully it does! :) Maybe I can report back more after the visitation day....unless you all are also going, and then maybe I'll see you there!

Edited by Nyctophile

Hmmmm.

Not sure I'd agree about the food being "great," though that's probably relative to where one has lived previously. Superiorly authentic Mexican food is to be had at Bety's Tacos in Encinitas, about 15 minutes north of campus. (Most people have not had real Mexican, and this is what it tastes like.). El Pescador is a truly excellent fresh fish market in downtown La Jolla if you cook, though somewhat expensive.

Graduate student housing is rather old, but the price is right, and the location is on top of a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, so you conceivably could have an ocean view. The beach at Del Mar, just north of campus, is perhaps the prettiest and most user-friendly. When the tide is out, take your mountain bike to the beach and ride for miles on the wet sand south back towards campus, through Black's Beach and below the cliffs of Torrey Pines State Park.

Campus architecture is mostly brutalist on the outside, and uninviting on the inside. The library (google it) is spectacular looking but extremely cold. If it could talk, the library's main plaza would say, "This is what the end of the world looks like, and I will be here long after all of you are gone.". (If you visit, you will see that this is no exaggeration.)

The vibe from walking around campus is that students, generally, seem withdrawn, unhappy, stressed, perhaps depressed. This is not the only UC campus at which this seems so. Very little interaction, little in the way of school apirit.

The sky is blue and the temperature is warm most of the time. The setting is highly enviable. The desert is not far away by car and should not be missed. But the university environment cannot be characterized as warm or traditional in the sense one might be used to in the east. But if you visit, and if you're not from California, your physical senses will likely be overwhelmed.

btw: If you visit during the low season, the most fabulous place to stay (in a very Old School way) is inland a few miles at the hotel in Rancho Santa Fe. (Rates are exorbitant during the high season.)

Especially if you are visiting with a SO. (Trust me, you will thank me later.)

The prices for university housing are low enough to make survival on a TAship possible. I emailed the grad coordinator and she said the university goes out of their way to make sure that every student can be accommodated b/c studios in La Jolla can start at upwards of $1250. 

I have a tendency to want to do ALL-THE-THINGS-RIGHT-NOW and a program that will let me embrace that spazzy tendency is a plus for me! :)  I've been emailing with one of my POIs there and she's been kind and supportive. She also stressed the fact that the department will let us take seminars in different subjects and let us develop in up to three fields.

I don't know if any of this helps....hopefully it does! :) Maybe I can report back more after the visitation day....unless you all are also going, and then maybe I'll see you there!

Yes! I've been told I've been put on the priority list for grad housing so that would be okay. And I totally understand the ALL-THE-THINGS-RIGHT-NOW attitude because I'm the same. The only thing I'm worried about is that they haven't offered Brit Lit grad classes in the last few quarters but I could always take a reading/writing course or an undergrad course if I want to. I just really like their cultural studies focus. :)

I was also accepted to UCSD Lit, and it is high on my list.  San Diego is an incredibly beautiful town, and it seems like a vibrant city. Also, I concur, it has amazing food. I don't know much about the program outside of what I can find on the website, so can't offer much help. I'm also concerned about the funding package as San Diego can be pretty expensive. Are you going to the campus visit? Feel free to PM me.

I lived on less in Massachusetts for a year but I don't know how well that compares. :( 

Unfortunately, I can't come to the campus visit. I'm in Germany and I just started a new job last month. It was hard enough to get a week off in April so that I can go to the PCA/ACA conference in Chicago.

Campus architecture is mostly brutalist on the outside, and uninviting on the inside. The library (google it) is spectacular looking but extremely cold. If it could talk, the library's main plaza would say, "This is what the end of the world looks like, and I will be here long after all of you are gone.". (If you visit, you will see that this is no exaggeration.)

The vibe from walking around campus is that students, generally, seem withdrawn, unhappy, stressed, perhaps depressed. This is not the only UC campus at which this seems so. Very little interaction, little in the way of school apirit.

My university in Germany is UGLY. It's a city university so there's real campus and the buildings are from the 70s and regarding architecture, that decade really wasn't the best. :P So I don't mind if it's not that pretty. 

I think school spirit is a very American thing. We don't really have that here in Germany. I just hope I won't be unhappy there. :(

I think school spirit is a very American thing. We don't really have that here in Germany. I just hope I won't be unhappy there. :(

From what I've seen you'd kind of have to try to be unhappy in San Diego???? Every time I go down there people are friendly and nice, the place is just freaking beautiful and there's just so much to do. If you don't groove with one neighborhood, move on! :) You'll also have the benefit of being interesting b/c you're not from here, so work it! ;) There is plenty going on beyond the university, whatever your interests you can probably find people who you get along with.

Oh, no, I haven't heard anything about housing yet! I'll try not too freak out too much about that.

As far as campus life goes, UCSB is (location-wise) in my opinion one of the most beautiful campuses, and is teeming with campus life; however, the city itself is pretty boring, apart from the naturey aspects. Every campus is going to have it's perks, but as long as you're happy in your program that is what matters most.

Oh, no, I haven't heard anything about housing yet! I'll try not too freak out too much about that.

As far as campus life goes, UCSB is (location-wise) in my opinion one of the most beautiful campuses, and is teeming with campus life; however, the city itself is pretty boring, apart from the naturey aspects. Every campus is going to have it's perks, but as long as you're happy in your program that is what matters most.

Oh no! I asked Kristin Carnohan how hard it is to get into grad housing and she told me that the department nominated me for the priority list. I'd say just send her an email asking about housing. :)

Yes, San Diego County is a very beautiful place, and most people enjoy living there. People from all over the world live in La Jolla, though most have quite a bit more money than graduate students do.

But the UCSD campus is a very different place, not only physically isolated from the rest of La Jolla, but also, as I've said, not a happy place. Quite different in mood from UCSB, I think you'll find.

From what I've seen you'd kind of have to try to be unhappy in San Diego???? Every time I go down there people are friendly and nice, the place is just freaking beautiful and there's just so much to do. If you don't groove with one neighborhood, move on! :) You'll also have the benefit of being interesting b/c you're not from here, so work it! ;) There is plenty going on beyond the university, whatever your interests you can probably find people who you get along with.

Nyctophile,

Are you the lone acceptance on the boards for Santa Cruz Lit?

I'm just dying to hear from them.

Nyctophile,

Are you the lone acceptance on the boards for Santa Cruz Lit?

I'm just dying to hear from them.

Actually I'm not sure if I'm the lone acceptance (b/c I've been away from home and can't stalk the boards like I usually do) but I did post my acceptance up there. Am I the only one? Weird...

Anyways, fear not, official notice should be going out soon. My POI emailed me this morning that official offers w/details about funding will go out today or tomorrow. I wanted to say something in the main English thread but couldn't decide if the info would help people or drive them nuts. I feel guilty having acceptances when other super worthy peeps are on pins and needles.  :(

I'm dying to hear from them too! My partner says I'm being greedy since I already have a couple of acceptances, but it is great program and I would love to at least have them as an option.

I wasn't as super enthusiastic about them when I first applied. I thought they were a solid program, a nice enough area, and there were professors with common research interests but I wasn't feeling shiny eyed about them like I was Cornell and Stanford. However, talking to my POI is making me a lot more excited about Santa Cruz as a serious possibility. I mostly want to see what the teaching load and stipend would be like b/c they have a lot going on with regards to both lit. and cultural studies, which I like. Also, with the history of consciousness program over there I'll have opportunity to do theory work which I also really love. My POI also told me that there is an Affect/Precarity studies reading group that's pretty hot right now. I mean, for my kind of book nerd, talk sexy to me!!!

If queer theory and/or Early Modern and/or spectrality are things of interest to you, Carla Freccero is also at Santa Cruz. Her Queer / Early / Modern is fabulous. With respect to feminist theory and studies, Karen Barad is also there -- a theoretical physicist -- who does some fascinating things with philosophy of science, is also there.  

Thanks for the info! I have multiple offers as well and don't know if Santa Cruz is the best fit, but gah, it's Santa Cruz---so freaking beautiful.

And the moms is an alumna of HisCon so . . . there's that.

You should definitely pick Santa Cruz over UMD. ;) (I'm just kidding, really! I hope you go to the school that is right for you.)

You should definitely pick Santa Cruz over UMD. ;) (I'm just kidding, really! I hope you go to the school that is right for you.)

Ha! We'll see. I've discounted one school so far but am terribly torn about the rest. I'd love an acceptance at Santa Cruz, but---realistically--it'd probably just make me more torn.

Sorry to continue to hijack the thread. (Should we start another for Santa Cruz?) Did anyone get an email indicating you've been added to a google group to Santa Cruz Literature 2014 Admissions?

hah! yeah, that's right, this one is supposed to be about san diego....

Yep, got that email. Made me want to smack my laptop. Of all the things that could've gotten done today (like sending out acceptance/funding notifications?!) setting up a google group is the thing that got finished? phooey.

Rejection email from Stanford's Modern Thought and Lit (which I was already expecting) followed, not even 5 minutes later, by a phone call from Santa Cruz. It really is a bumpy ride.

Side note: is it completely insane to attempt to drive from San Diego Wednesday night (after the open house) up to Santa Cruz for Thursday's orientation?