Got an email asking for Fall grades. How should I respond?

iammaffyou

I got an email asking me what courses I took in the fall and how I did on them. The school already has my transcripts prior to this. I am nervous to respond because I retook a course I failed this past summer and got a C instead of D+. However, I am petitioning to have the C replace the D+ (and likely this will happen in just a few weeks). Further, I am in graduate school now the 3 courses (4 including the one I retook) I took for personal benefit I received a B, B+, C, and a D+. These grades significantly bring down my GPA, but within my required classes for my masters degree I have not  received anything lower than an A-. I want to justify everything but don't want to make excuses or harp on reasons why my GPA isn't where I would like it. 

I have attached what I have so far. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. 

Last fall I took 622: Communication and Group Process and received an A-, and 798 and received a pass (our department doesn't assign grades for special study). Additionally, I enrolled in Precalculus purely for personal benefits and received a C. I understand that my grade in this course is not academically competitive, however it is something I am actively working to improve. Also, the grade I received will replace the previous grade I received during Summer 13. Additionally, to help further my understanding of math I have sought out weekly tutoring sessions. 

This quarter I am taking a graduate course at [omiited] 272 Selected Topics in Cognitive Psychology and currently have an A with just a few weeks left in the quarter. Finally, at [ommited] I am enrolled in 623: Critical Issues in Leadership, however it is too early to predict my grade. If you look exclusively at courses that were required for my degree at [omiited], I have yet to receive anything under an A- and likely this trend will continue. The reason my GPA at [omitted] is not reflective of this is because I took on more courses (i.e., Biology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Precalculus) for personal benefit, whereas my required coursework and laboratory responsibilities took precedence. 
Edited by iammaffyou

It looked like you left out three courses from the fall: 

Further, I am in graduate school now the 3 courses (4 including the one I retook) I took for personal benefit I received a B, B+, C, and a D+. 

But you only mention the course with the C in the above email.  Whatever you write I wouldn't omit any coursework.  You will have to send your full transcripts when you are admitted so make sure to cover all the information your transcript will & if you want to add a few sentences to clarify your grades or coursework do it after you've clearly presented the information they ask for.  Just my 2 cents.

Last fall I took 622: Communication and Group Process and received an A-, and 798 and received a pass (our department doesn't assign grades for special study). Additionally, I enrolled in Precalculus purely for personal benefits and received a C. I understand that my grade in this course is not academically competitive, however it is something I am actively working to improve. Also, the grade I received will replace the previous grade I received during Summer 13. Additionally, to help further my understanding of math I have sought out weekly tutoring sessions.

This quarter I am taking a graduate course at [omiited] 272 Selected Topics in Cognitive Psychology and currently have an A with just a few weeks left in the quarter. Finally, at [ommited] I am enrolled in 623: Critical Issues in Leadership, however it is too early to predict my grade. If you look exclusively at courses that were required for my degree at [omiited], I have yet to receive anything under an A- and likely this trend will continue. The reason my GPA at [omitted] is not reflective of this is because I took on more courses (i.e., Biology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Precalculus) for personal benefit, whereas my required coursework and laboratory responsibilities took precedence. 

In my opinion, you should stick to facts mostly and avoid too much interpretation of your grades. It's their job to do this, not yours. So, all of the bolded text are things I think you should remove. You don't have to draw attention to a C in Precalculus. You should not predict your grade, even in 272, and you are not really in a position to comment on your future grade trend. I also don't think you need to defend your GPA etc because it should be obvious that some courses are elective/not required for your major, since your major requirements is probably similar at the schools you are applying to. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to imply/suggest that you got low grades in the "extra courses" because they were "extra". You cannot convince the committee that you would have gotten any other grade if you spent more time on it etc. In other words, avoid hypotheticals and stick to the facts.

Personally I think you send them your Fall grades which is what they asked, no trying to hide anything.  I had one school ask for my Fall grades so I resent my transcripts.  You can't hide from them that you did poorly.  And if you are applying for graduate level work getting C's might not cut it to be perfectly honest.  Most programs are very competitive.