MFA Acting Applicants??

AwesomeBird

Hey Guys!

I decided to go with Arizona State University!  It was one of the URTA schools I was interested in.  They have an amazing MFA Performance program focusing on devising new work, plus I'd have the opportunity to teach there.  I used to have my own theatre company so I felt like it was a good fit for me.  I still haven't heard from UCLA or USD but it was just a gut feeling that I had to go with, nothing having to do with the pressure of the March 10th deadline.  AwesomeBird, UCLA did email me back and they said they hope to make all their decisions by April 1st.  I know you're waiting on them so I thought you'd like to know!  I wish the best of luck to you guys.  Please keep us updated on any acceptances because I will be checking back to see where you guys end up going!  And if you don't get the results you wanted, don't give up!  This is my second time auditioning for grad schools.  It is a crazy, emotionally taxing process to apply to graduate theatre schools, and it is an accomplishment just to apply and audition for all these programs. I'm rooting for you all! 

Congratulations!! That's a fantastic program! You should be SO proud of yourself. None of these programs are easy to get into. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. It really does mean a lot. I will defintely keep posting. Break 'em!

Silence... still. It's crazy, UNC seemed really excited about me after the audition... since then, nothing. I even emailed the department... no response. I'm trying to stay positive, but damn...

Hey all!

Congrats on getting through auditions! Now there's just the waiting game. This was my first year applying and I only applied to one program- USD Old Globe. I was figuring this is a test run and I'd apply to 3-4 acting mfa's next year and 2-3 playwriting programs. I was wondering how the rest of your auditions went? They were so nice at mine, it threw me off a little at first :D. However, overall it went better than I expected. They are genuinely nice people. I've heard othet places aren't as pleasant to audition for...

Another rejection (UVA).  I have heard through the grape vine (I live in Durham, so the acting grapevine here includes ppl at UNC) that UNC has sent out offers and hasn't closed simply because they're waiting on all the responses, so chances there are slim too*.  FSU seems remote (my audition was ok... but odd, don't think I really connected), and UCI is out pretty much (no call back so).  USD is possible but a real long shot.  Looks like I'll be back through again.

Pumkinpie- Yeah, my audition for USD was really good, and very pleasant too.  Definitely one of the nicer auditions I had overall, and I felt I nailed it about as well as I could.  Of course, having them like you and nailing the audition... well that's great and all but they're casting 4 men, and they audition nationally, so the odds are still incredibly slim.   I'll say that after having gone through the process USD and UCI are both definitely on my list of "apply to them again next year."  UCSD is definitely off the list and would not apply again (they weren't evil or anything, but their process was a real "in-do your piece-thank you" type thing, and it's expensive).  

*angrybird - figured you want to know.  keep in mind this is just 2nd hand rumor but they are a URTA school, so they might send out offers on the early side.  this is all guess work on my part and rumor, nothing more, so take it with a grain of salt.

I definitely appreciate the insight. Any information I can get at this point is more than helpful.  I think it's more than safe to say offers have gone out. Chances are slim, as they always will be for us in this industry, but the way I see it, if we haven't yet got a rejection, then there's still the chance of an acceptance. Either way, the universe takes care of us. What will be, will be; but I'll definitely be saying my prayers loud and clear tonight.

Hey Guys, Just found this thread and wanted to chime in. I've been scouring Audition Update for any information which has been fruitless. So I applied to Yale, UCSD, USD/Old Globe, ACT, and University of Washington. I got a callback at Yale but nothing further and I got called back to University of Washington. Flew out there for the weekend. Nothing to all of those. 

I am still waiting to hear from USD/Old Globe. I did this whole process last year with USD and they take a very long time to get back. In fact this is the week that it will most likely start happening. The way they do it from what I understand is this:

They Make offers to the 7 students and send out first round rejection letters. They wait to hear back from their offers then they send rejection letters to those they put on a "waiting list'. I was one of the people on the waiting list last year. This whole process blows and drives a guy crazy but keep your heads up. Nothings impossible. 

Let me know if you all hear anything else. Best of Luck!

Welcome!! Thanks for posting. I have heard that people who get waitlisted at USD have a good shot of getting an offer if they audition the following year. So good luck! I really hope we all hear good news shortly. Definitely keep thinking good thoughts. It will happen! It will. 

Hi all,

I am usually obsessively digging for the latest info from fellow MFA applicants, but until now I've never actually participated in any of these discussions. Enough! I'm slowly losing my mind, and I felt the need to chat with others in the same situation.

This is my 2nd year applying to grad school (well, 3rd if you count a failed attempt my senior year of undergrad...but I had no idea what I was doing or why I was doing it, so I don't really count that). Last year I applied to NYU, Yale, UCSD, and USD/Old Globe. I was called back at Yale and NYU, and made it to the finalists at USD...but no offers.

After last year's audition round, I realized there was only one school I felt was really the right fit for me and that is USD/Old Globe...so I put all my eggs in their basket and I am awaiting a reply...any day now. 

I don't have any new news to contribute, but I will as soon as I hear. The Globe does seem to take a while. I'd love to continue hearing from any of you who have posted...or others like me who don't normally post, but feel the need to commiserate with others. :)

You're all my heroes for going through this process at all, no matter what the outcome is!

Wow. Just good to know others are going through this too. And really good to know such talented people are involved. That way if I get a rejection I won't feel so bad... :-)

Everyone I know keeps saying I'm sure to get in. I have to keep explaining that each application is like a play with 7 parts that auditions nationally. There are so many good people out there.

I'm figuring if I don't hear by the end of this week it's probably time to start making travel plans for next January. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you.

Thank you everyone for contributing. I can't wait to hear the news come in! It helps to know that there are others waiting and feeling the same as you do. I'll be so excited for anyone that gets an acceptance and anyone that doesn't, well we can be in this together next year. I'll be applying to even more programs next round, so would really appreciate the sharing and commiserating!

Hello MFA acting world! I also auditioned for MFA's this year, and it's been a crazy journey. This thread has really helped me, so I decided it was time to contribute as well. Thank god someone made it, because I've been desperate to talk to other applicants.

For all those waiting for USD, I recommend calling the MFA office. A friend of mine did, and he was instantly notified of his callback status (he actually had to give the cell phone number that was on the application and was called back, but very easy). I did the same, and found out I was rejected :( Disappointing, but at least I'm able to move on!

I was accepted to Columbia and Harvard (but rejected, in total, from Yale, Brown, USD) and am currently on the wait list for ACT. I'm really leaning towards Harvard, and I was wondering if anyone knew about their program and how successful their graduates are.

Good luck to everyone out there! I hope we are all able to find our way out of this insanity to the best path offered. 

Hello Curlygirl! Congratulations on your acceptances!! That's absolutely incredicle. I don't really know specifics in regards to those programs, but they are obviously both top acting schools, and I feel like in regards to this profession it is best to go with the school that compliments your personal approach to acting and how you relate to performance.  I applied to programs that believe that a performer's ability and influence varies with each individual and should not be so "trained" as much as honed and nurtured. Read up on their philosophies and go with your gut. You'll have a career with either of these schools, but one might make you a stronger performer than the other just because their approach is the right fit for you.

Out of curiosity, is this your first year applying?

Hi Curlygirl!

Congrats on the acceptances! That is fantastic. I agree with AwesomeBird that, after doing all the research, you ultimately have to go with your gut. It'll tell you which school is ultimately the right fit.

When you mentioned before that your friend called the USD admissions office and was notified of his "callback status," what did you mean exactly? USD makes it pretty clear they don't hold callbacks. Did you mean that the admissions office said they would call him back with an answer?

Maybe I'll give them a call next week if I haven't heard anything by then. It's always such a relief just to know...whether the outcome is good or bad.

Hello Curlygirl! Congratulations on your acceptances!! That's absolutely incredicle. I don't really know specifics in regards to those programs, but they are obviously both top acting schools, and I feel like in regards to this profession it is best to go with the school that compliments your personal approach to acting and how you relate to performance.  I applied to programs that believe that a performer's ability and influence varies with each individual and should not be so "trained" as much as honed and nurtured. Read up on their philosophies and go with your gut. You'll have a career with either of these schools, but one might make you a stronger performer than the other just because their approach is the right fit for you.

Out of curiosity, is this your first year applying?

Obviously I meant "incredible"... and I can't figure out how to edit. Ugh... my mind has succumbed to the stress.

Hey Curlygirl! Congrats on your acceptances! I got my BFA in Boston and saw a lot of shows at ART, most of which I LOVED. And the graduates do seem to work a lot. I also worked with some ART actors at Commonwealth Shakespeare in Boston and they all had amazing things to say about the program. Columbia also has a good program but it is SUPER expensive, and I'm not sure if they offer any financial aid. When I applied to MFAs a few years ago they didn't, not sure if things have changed. Anyway, congratulations again and good luck making a decision! Let us know where you end up going!

Thanks for the info.

So does anyone know if they have even made offers yet? I feel like they would have by now to secure tier class.

Just checked the mail...no rejections letters yet. It's weird. By this time last year, USD had sent their first round of rejection letters out. Maybe everything's taking longer this time around for some reason. 

I'm going crazy, folks.

Hello guys, thank you for all of the replies!

Seriously, I recommend calling the USD office and getting the decision right then and there for those still waiting. It really helps you get the decision off your mind! And Button, I apologize for the typo, I should have said my friend was notified of his wait listed status. And yes, Awesomebird, this was my first year applying. And so happy it's over! It was such a stressful process, and I completely understand the anxiety in waiting, so good luck to everyone still out there! 

I'm sure they've made offers at this point. I'm waiting on them and two other schools as well.  I'm assuming this is the stage where they have made offers and are now waiting for responses before making their next move. I know it seems late, but sometimes people don't hear until April, especially in USD's case.