Accepting an offer without visiting

I've been accepted at my top choice (Cornell) and currently it is the only school I am truly considering. I also live abroad and it would be very expensive for me to visit. That said, would it be stupid to accept without paying a visit to the department? Should I be considering some of my other acceptances or even waitlists (listed in signature) despite the fact that I am think Cornell is the one? I'm worried about taking an offer when I haven't visited, but flying to the US would also be expensive and stressful.

I've been accepted at my top choice (Cornell) and currently it is the only school I am truly considering. I also live abroad and it would be very expensive for me to visit. That said, would it be stupid to accept without paying a visit to the department? Should I be considering some of my other acceptances or even waitlists (listed in signature) despite the fact that I am think Cornell is the one? I'm worried about taking an offer when I haven't visited, but flying to the US would also be expensive and stressful.

From your signature, it looks like you are wait listed at Berkeley. I’d say hold out before accepting any offers. 

I would say if it's too difficult monetarily to visit and it really feels like the right fit to you, then go ahead and accept it. Even as someone who is here in the states, I wouldn't be able to visit the schools I've applied to unless they provide funding. Perhaps you can get in contact with some of the grad students who are currently there and pick their brains? Also, a lot of schools will have video tours and/or pictures of their campuses online. There may also be videos of the school on youtube.

For what it's worth, I never visited my undergrad university before attending, but I had a feeling that it was ultimately the right place for me based on my research into the school and what I could determine from the website. And it ended up being the absolute best place for me :D

ETA: I will say that if you think there's a good chance that some of your wait lists might convert to acceptances, you might want to hold out a bit longer before making a decision...just in case.

Edited by toasterazzi

From your signature, it looks like you are wait listed at Berkeley. I’d say hold out before accepting any offers. 

I agree to maybe wait out, if Berkeley would be a game-changer that is. But otherwise I don't think there's any reason why you should feel compelled to visit if you truly know which school is the one.

From my research, I think I prefer Cornell over Berkeley. But I can't know for sure, and visiting both would be quite expensive (not to mention stressful, as I live in a small town in France and getting to California from where I am would take more than 24 hours).  Any thoughts on Cornell vs. Berkeley from anyone?

Berkeley will cover $300 of travel expenses, Cornell will cover none (but will pay for 2 nights at a hotel). It would cost more than $700 out of pocket to visit just Cornell (train and bus to Paris, flight to US, bus to Ithaca, etc.), and more to visit both.

Edited by semicolon2013

From my research, I think I prefer Cornell over Berkeley. But I can't know for sure, and visiting both would be quite expensive (not to mention stressful, as I live in a small town in France and getting to California from where I am would take more than 24 hours).  Any thoughts on Cornell vs. Berkeley from anyone?

Berkeley will cover $300 of travel expenses, Cornell will cover none (but will pay for 2 nights at a hotel). It would cost more than $700 out of pocket to visit just Cornell (train and bus to Paris, flight to US, bus to Ithaca, etc.), and more to visit both.

Berkeley’s my dream school, so I can’t answer this question without any bias. Haha. Best of luck as you figure it out! They are both wonderful schools.

Hmm, visiting seems like more of a hassle than it's worth in that case.

Just curious, what about Cornell do you feel makes it a better fit than Berkeley? This is not intended as a leading question, but rather a question to determine what it would take for Berkeley to move ahead in position. If this is something you can ascertain without visiting, than I would contact the grad department to see if they can get you in contact with current students and faculty to get a better feel for the program. If it's a situation where you would absolutely have to visit in order to even consider moving it to the #1 spot, than it's a moot point.

Edited by jazzy dubois

Would you mind sharing why, specifically? Is it specific POIs, the culture of the deparment...?

I visited Berkeley for a conference in October and fell in love with the place. They’d obviously been on my radar for a long time (because they are the top English program in the United States and, arguably, the world), but I started to do a bunch of research about the university. I love the campus culture, the professional development opportunities are unmatched, and my POIs are huge scholars in my field. So that would have been a dream. 

What I like about the city, specifically, is that it feels almost like a resort town. I lived in Key West, FL for a while and it reminded me a lot of there. The campus “vibe” is refreshingly artsy and the downtown area has incredible bookstore, coffee shops, restaurants from pretty much any ethnic culture you could imagine. Also, it’s about a 30m drive from San Fran, so it’s really close to a big city if you want that feel. 

Plus, it’s near a beach, so you have the beautiful views. Because it’s in the Bay area, the weather isn’t as hot as SoCal and you get to see a touch of the different seasons (I went in October and was pleasantly surprised to see Fall colors on the trees). 

For me, it’s also not super far from home...a quick drive to SF and then an hour flight. 

I just love the place. The school is amazing. The faculty is unmatched. The city is, in my opinion, dreamy. 

Love it. 

EDIT: I should note that there are definitely dumpy parts of the town. 

Edited by Kamisha

Hmm, visiting seems like more of a hassle than it's worth in that case.

Just curious, what about Cornell do you feel makes it a better fit than Berkeley? This is not intended as a leading question, but rather a question to determine what it would take for Berkeley to move ahead in position. If this is something you can ascertain without visiting, than I would contact the grad department to see if they can get you in contact with current students and faculty to get a better feel for the program. If it's a situation where you would absolutely have to visit in order to even consider moving it to the #1 spot, than it's a moot poiI

I've sent you a PM.

Edited by semicolon2013

Are you sure it's 300? The email I got said Berkeley covers 500 if you're traveling from outside the US.

I did my undergrad there (English, where I worked with 3 profs on individual research projects and took a graduate class (so I feel I have a feel for how things are there at the grad level). I've also been accepted to Cornell and, though I haven't visited Ithaca, I've been doing a lot of pro/con comparisons lately, as Berkeley and Cornell are my top 2 choices too as of now. If you have questions that you feel I can answer or that I can ask (if you don't end up visiting) when I'm visiting the schools, feel free to PM me!

I'd wait it out for a bit if you still care about Berkeley, but realistically, Cornell is probably a much safer choice. From what I've heard the average time-to-degree at Berkeley has ballooned over the past few years or so, and with funding less than stable that could be problematic. Besides, if you think that Cornell is the one, it probably is. I wouldn't take any of your other acceptances over it unless you managed to visit and have some sort of life-changing experience at one of them 

I second the idea of trying to Skype with some people.  A professor of mine really loved UPenn, but after her visit she was completely turned off by the atmosphere of the department and the general beat-down attitudes of the students.

(This was like 20 years ago, so not meant to comment on the school, which is now a wonderful amazing place. Just an example of a visit/talk with grad students changing things).

I also got a few cautionary talks on Berkley from my advisor, but that may have been medieval studies in particular, and might also have been just her opinion.  So take it with a salt shaker.

Hey! I am in the same situation as you are! I live in France and am hesitating between universities that I won't be able to visit all! But as least I am going to visit one university. I think it is worth the travel. After all, it is your future we are talking about, and, as we both know, a future far away from our home. So we both better do not make the wrong decision (I know, it is stressfull...). That being said, having to choose between Cornel and Berkeley, can you really make a wrong decision? Anyway, "skyping" with faculty and grad students, as well as perusing what is happenig in the university through their Facebook pages (I know it sounds stupid, but you can see what the main events and activities are, which can be interesting) is still a very good option.

Are you sure it's 300? The email I got said Berkeley covers 500 if you're traveling from outside the US.

I did my undergrad there (English, where I worked with 3 profs on individual research projects and took a graduate class (so I feel I have a feel for how things are there at the grad level). I've also been accepted to Cornell and, though I haven't visited Ithaca, I've been doing a lot of pro/con comparisons lately, as Berkeley and Cornell are my top 2 choices too as of now. If you have questions that you feel I can answer or that I can ask (if you don't end up visiting) when I'm visiting the schools, feel free to PM me!

Mine says "up to $300 if traveling from outside California." It didn't say anything about outside the country. What does yours say?

I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet, but what's your area of interest?  I don't think it's possible to give you the best advice without knowing this bit of information.  

My interests are literary theory and contemporary American ethnic literature (currently focused on African American).

I would try to visit if at all possible. I am a first-year PhD student. I actually visited all three schools that accepted me and am so glad I did because I learned a lot about the energy of each department. In the end I chose to go to what was my second choice before I visited and as I am now approaching the end of my first year I know I made the right choice. At the very least I would take others' advice and communicate with as many people from the program as possible. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you all think of accepting an offer without visiting if it's your only choice (basically)?  I have two acceptances, mind you, but I've already decided that I'd probably not go to one of them, no matter what. So there's no point in visiting that place.  The other school....I have already been to the city (years ago) and know I want to live there.  It's a world-class city, and I"m all about it.  As for the school, I haven't ever visited, but what I read about it sounds EXACTLY like what i want.  Now I'm not saying I won't visit soon to make living arrangements and to visit the department.  It just may be the case that I accept the offer before visiting.  Is that crazy?

What do you all think of accepting an offer without visiting if it's your only choice (basically)? I have two acceptances, mind you, but I've already decided that I'd probably not go to one of them, no matter what. So there's no point in visiting that place. The other school....I have already been to the city (years ago) and know I want to live there. It's a world-class city, and I"m all about it. As for the school, I haven't ever visited, but what I read about it sounds EXACTLY like what i want. Now I'm not saying I won't visit soon to make living arrangements and to visit the department. It just may be the case that I accept the offer before visiting. Is that crazy?

Sounds EXACTLY like my situation. I have been to the city I plan on accepting in, and I love it. In my case, I won't have time to make it there before April 15, so I'll be accepting without visiting first. However, I have had very positive interaction with the department and administration, and everyone I've talked to about the campus raves about it. I feel comfortable accepting under these circumstances, and it sounds like you should too, especially if you know you can find decent living arrangements and have a good feel of how the department is run and organized.

Sounds EXACTLY like my situation. I have been to the city I plan on accepting in, and I love it. In my case, I won't have time to make it there before April 15, so I'll be accepting without visiting first. However, I have had very positive interaction with the department and administration, and everyone I've talked to about the campus raves about it. I feel comfortable accepting under these circumstances, and it sounds like you should too, especially if you know you can find decent living arrangements and have a good feel of how the department is run and organized.

Thanks!  Knowing I"m not the only one considering doing this makes me feel better.  That said, I still *might* visit before April 15th.  Just haven't decided for sure yet.  

What do you all think of accepting an offer without visiting if it's your only choice (basically)?  I have two acceptances, mind you, but I've already decided that I'd probably not go to one of them, no matter what. So there's no point in visiting that place.  The other school....I have already been to the city (years ago) and know I want to live there.  It's a world-class city, and I"m all about it.  As for the school, I haven't ever visited, but what I read about it sounds EXACTLY like what i want.  Now I'm not saying I won't visit soon to make living arrangements and to visit the department.  It just may be the case that I accept the offer before visiting.  Is that crazy?

I'm in a similar situation. I only have one acceptance and I cannot afford to go visit the campus before September because I don't get off from work and have to pay for a trip to Chicago in April. So I have to accept without visiting first.

I know this feel. I'm currently on a wait list and, if I'm going to be accepted, I won't be visiting before the deadline. I will be visiting my other acceptance, however, but I think from reading online and talking to DGS/faculty/current students/recent graduates, you can probably get a decent enough picture of the department. 

Also, Des--are you planning on waiting to hear from Syracuse or are you totally committed to Villanova at this point? 

I know this feel. I'm currently on a wait list and, if I'm going to be accepted, I won't be visiting before the deadline. I will be visiting my other acceptance, however, but I think from reading online and talking to DGS/faculty/current students/recent graduates, you can probably get a decent enough picture of the department.

Also, Des--are you planning on waiting to hear from Syracuse or are you totally committed to Villanova at this point?

I emailed SU to inform them of Villanova's

offer (but did not mention Nova's name) in hopes of hearing something more concrete about funding, and they said congratulations, but they did not think they would be able to match it. That sounds pretty clear to me, so it's made my "decision" that much easier. I love the idea of living in Philadelphia and I'm having a fun time embracing it.

Edited by despejado