Fall 2015 Applicants

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Hesse. There are often little anomalies like that. It's worth remembering that admissions committees are often different from year to year (sometimes different faculty members, sometimes a new DGS, sometimes a few different grad students sitting in on the committee etc.), so any number of variables can change ideal acceptance dates (in both directions).

I'm naturally tempted (as I think most of us are) to read into things a little too much, but the only thing that is certain about this process is that acceptances WILL be sent out by all programs eventually. However, for all the meta-analysis and prognosticating we like to perform here on GC, there's simply no way to definitively know when that will be.

I have to say though, I really thought I'd be a nervous wreck at this point in the month. I'm consciously patting myself on the back for my relative calm so far. We'll see if that shatters after my first rejection...

You are probably right. It is just human nature to assume that if one applicant already received an acceptance and I have heard nothing, that this is an implicit rejection. Yet, until I receive an outright rejection, I should realize that I still have a chance of acceptance.

If it was due the 15th or the 16th, then they aren't going to be looking at any of the applications until at least Monday, but probably later. All of these graduate directors understand that mistakes happen (a lot) and that sometimes it takes a while for the dust to settle completely.

For my part, I emailed several schools a month after the deadline in order to update my application and most allowed me to do it. If the committee hasn't convened yet, they are very often going to be accommodating to mistakes like this, because they're human and you're human.

I do not think this is dire. AT ALL. Just revise your SoAP now, so that you can email it to them instantaneously when--yes, when--they agree to accept the updated document.

Thanks for this hypervodka! :wub:  That definitely helps to calm my nerves. The deadline isn't until the 19th, so hopefully that will make them extra forgiving.

I'm kind of hoping for UW-Madison, personally. It's totally irrational to be hoping for an answer on January 16th, but...I just can't help it! Madison is traditionally the earliest acceptor of the places I applied to, and it's very high on my list, so...

Mine too (but for Comp Lit). The thought of getting a reply from them makes me equal bits excited and nauseous.

Mine too (but for Comp Lit). The thought of getting a reply from them makes me equal bits excited and nauseous.

Yep! I would (will?) be thrilled to get into any of the programs I applied to. Any and all. But I can't deny that some programs have a little more going for them than others in the echelon of options for me. Madison is by all accounts a great city (particularly great for the arts), the English program is very highly regarded, there are a few great POI matches for me personally (*cough* Bearden *cough cough* Calhoun)... Yes, it's hard not to get my hopes up!

HyperVodka: Was there anything unusual about your application, or did you apply to special fellowships? 

I can double-check with the director, but I don't think there are any fellowships or anything. But, the email also said that they were going to send out actual acceptances in a few days, so I don't know if everyone who was accepted got a similar email. But, looking at the results page, it does seem a little early. It looks like in last year people were accepted in early February.

Okay, it's good to know that it was an informal email, and that in a few days official acceptances will go out. I would love to check my phone during break from work next week to see an email from Maryland. One can always hope. And again congratulations hypervodka!

28th I think? I am doing thesis (which is just advising in terms of in-school time) and an independent study with a professor from the Writing department. I have been working at school all winter and am not really starting class-y classes, so there's not much of a change in store. I am excited to be getting more feedback on my writing/thesis though. I am also auditing a Russian Literature (in Russian) class at a nearby school to try to get my language game back, and that has already started. Sort of having trouble fitting it in to my schedule, unfortunately.

I know everybody's anxious about the acceptances right now, and I don't know if this info will help or make it worse lol. At any rate, for anybody that applied to Ohio State, I went back through some of my records and found that I saw that I was accepted on the website on January 23rd last year (I'm not sure how long the info had been up. I just found it in one of my random visits to the site), and I got the official acceptance phone call on January 27th. So it's entirely possible that you all will hear from them in the next week or so.

(I'll also add that some people were notified way later, but most of the people were contacted around the same time I was as far as I know.)

This is my TOP school. Fingers crossed, you guys!

On another note (trying to distract myself from how impatient I am), when does everyone start the new semester? What classes are you taking? Anything you're particularly jazzed about?

My last semester of undergrad begins Wednesday. It's bittersweet to be honest. I'm excited about nearly all of my classes, except the history I've put off until my last semester. I'm particularly pumped about my gothic literature class and art, of course--my two passions. If I'm accepted to grad school, I intend to audit an art class.

This doesn't have much to do with anything application-wise, but I found out yesterday that I'll be getting an academic paper published. I've had lots of poetry published in the past bunch of years, but this will be my first academic paper, so I'm pretty happy about it. What's funny is that I sent it out for publication within around 48 hours of having written it. I was quite happy with how it turned out, so I'm particularly glad to see it get picked up by my school's journal of comparative humanities. It may not have the most cache, but hey...it's an academic publication!

This doesn't have much to do with anything application-wise, but I found out yesterday that I'll be getting an academic paper published. I've had lots of poetry published in the past bunch of years, but this will be my first academic paper, so I'm pretty happy about it. What's funny is that I sent it out for publication within around 48 hours of having written it. I was quite happy with how it turned out, so I'm particularly glad to see it get picked up by my school's journal of comparative humanities. It may not have the most cache, but hey...it's an academic publication!

Woot! Congrats!!!

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment!

Just checking in here for the first time this application season.  DHer @ McGill.  I'm assuming the melee of mailings is about to commence. (Programs applied for in my signature.)

Pleased to virtually meet you!

What are your academic interests? Is there any particular specialization common across your applications?

So I'm curious: is anyone else having a hard time talking to friends and family about this process? It's something that is obviously huge to all of our lives, and will have a profound effect on pretty much everything we do from this point forward...yet for me, when I try to talk to friends about it (friends who have never experienced the process, at least), there seems to be an awkwardness or reticence on their part. I suppose I can understand it, but given how monumental this is to me, I'm left wishing I could have a bit more interest from others. Perhaps that's a little megalomaniacal of me? I even feel reluctant to post Facebook status updates about it, as I suspect that not many people either understand or care about the process.

Anyone else running across something similar? Or do I just need new and better friends? -_-

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

For me, it has been difficult to convey how competitive and multifaceted the process is. The friends and family I have told have said "Of course you will get in somewhere; you have a high gpa and did plenty of extracurriculars." Most non-academics do not realize how different the admissions process for PhD programs are when compared to undergraduate admissions.

So I'm curious: is anyone else having a hard time talking to friends and family about this process? 

Yes, and I've largely given up trying. They don't quite understand that passion and commitment don't guarantee one entrance to an Ivy. 

On a somewhat related note, I remember reading a Rebecca Schuman article a few months ago on explaining the insanity behind the job market to one's family (she touches on applying to PhD programs as well). Implied in her article, I think, is the sense that we do need to talk to those around us about the difficulty of securing jobs and positions in doctoral programs, in part because all of the issues bound up with the job market, the saturation of PhD candidates, etc. etc. affect many more than just those folks reading Schuman or who are on GC, including, for example, the next family member to go to college who encounters an underpaid GTA/instructor in their comp class. But I just don't have the energy to explain all of this all the time. 

The article, for those interested, can be found here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/09/how_do_professors_get_hired_the_academic_job_search_explained.html

Not anything radically new for Schuman, but I think she's spot on as she normally is.

Hi all,

Just checking in for the first time in a long time. I decided to stay off GradCafe during the application months, but I am now realizing the allure of this site and the imminent decisions coming our way (whether acceptance or rejection, possibly waitlisted) is proving too difficult to resist. I figured I will find out either way, so I might as well jump into the forum headfirst! How is everyone doing with waiting for decisions? I see there were a few acceptances posted by some UK applicants and a small amount of American applicants. Any other news so far with decisions from those applying on this forum?

Also, feel free to contact me! I'll be bopping in-and-out of discussion threads on here as the returns on all our hard work, dedication, and smarts (hopefully) pays off! :D  

Edited by FURLONG13

So I'm curious: is anyone else having a hard time talking to friends and family about this process? 

Unfortunately, most of my close family has been incredibly unsupportive about my decision to pursue academics - I have been the recipient of some very nasty comments regarding the subject. These close fam members also didn't say a word of congrats to me when I completed my MA. Needless to say, I have stopped discussing the process with them. Thank goodness my significant other is a rock of support!

Anyone else running across something similar? Or do I just need new and better friends? -_-

Yep. I get the whole "Oh you're smart, you'll get in somewhere" response. Then I try to explain the actual process and when I start to see their eyes glaze over, I just compare getting accepted to a bit like winning the academic lottery and explain that its not uncommon for bright students to apply for multiple seasons before getting accepted and leave it at that. Luckily I have a good number of people in my program who are also going through the same process so at least they get it and we can vent to each other if necessary.

Yep. I get the whole "Oh you're smart, you'll get in somewhere" response. Then I try to explain the actual process and when I start to see their eyes glaze over, I just compare getting accepted to a bit like winning the academic lottery and explain that its not uncommon for bright students to apply for multiple seasons before getting accepted and leave it at that. Luckily I have a good number of people in my program who are also going through the same process so at least they get it and we can vent to each other if necessary.

I'm getting a lot of this crap even from fellow applicants in my program. It's especially discouraging (and pressure-inducing) when your colleagues think this about your chances of getting into a good program.

Thankfully my profs have been providing me with the grounded, worst case scenario, type comments that I've been looking for.