Fall 2015 Applicants

Thanks for all the positivity! :)

ETA: the worst news that came out of my doctor's mouth was that I have to start really limiting my alcohol intake. I don't drink that much anyway, but I just wanted to shake him and be like, "I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF PHD ADMISSION DECISION SEASON. ALCOHOL IS NECESSARY."

Edited by jhefflol

Has anybody heard from Rice? My inbox remains glaringly empty.

Nope. Nothing. I'm surprised, too. Last year they notified on the first Wednesday of the month. It's now the second Wednesday. Also, someone here was told by the DGS (or someone in admissions) that results would go out last week. So either this means that no one from GC got in (and therefore no posts on the results page), or they simply haven't finalized their decisions yet. Obviously I hope it's the latter...

Well, doesn't seem like any wait list spots for UCI are coming anytime soon... better chalk that up as an R. :\

Yeah, given the number of GC admits, I'm calling it an implied rejection too. It's really too bad, as I know they're trying to build up their poetics department (and the main person there in that regard is a notable prosodist). I figured it would have been a great mutual fit given my research interests, but...no dice.

Not to overpost here but...that moment when you see an acceptance from your top choice program on the Results page and you've not received any emails yet from the school. Crippling anxiety is back, full on...

Argh, yes this is so true.

Just because I posted something earlier: it's not quite cancer so I get to keep all of my body parts for now!

Bring on the acceptances!

Argh, good to hear that you'll be healthy.  Hopefully the good news will be a sign of more increasingly good news to come!

You are in California though, so there's always O'Douls and herbal remedies.  I suppose.  If you're into that kind of thing.  And have a legitimate medical condition.  Like application season related stress.  ;-)

Just because I posted something earlier: it's not quite cancer so I get to keep all of my body parts for now!

Bring on the acceptances!

So glad! Sending you healing vibes (and hopes for more good news soon!).

Argh, good to hear that you'll be healthy.  Hopefully the good news will be a sign of more increasingly good news to come!

You are in California though, so there's always O'Douls and herbal remedies.  I suppose.  If you're into that kind of thing.  And have a legitimate medical condition.  Like application season related stress.  ;-)

Had to live up to my username and upvote this, obv. :)

Tufts rejection. I'm scheduling am appointment with my advisor to discuss other options next week. 3 rejections, a likely 7 more to come.

I'm so sorry. I have a feeling that I am in a similar boat. 

Thanks for all the positivity! :)

ETA: the worst news that came out of my doctor's mouth was that I have to start really limiting my alcohol intake. I don't drink that much anyway, but I just wanted to shake him and be like, "I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF PHD ADMISSION DECISION SEASON. ALCOHOL IS NECESSARY."

It's asking a lot, but I will drink the alcohol for you.

Feel better!

You guys are killing me with your responses to my news! Lol thanks for the laughs :)

On another note, I got an email from SUNY Binghampton saying that their website will be going down for maintenance and will be extending their deadline until the 18th so if anyone wants to submit a last minute application, do it! They do require applicants to have a MA, though.

On another note, I got an email from SUNY Binghampton saying that their website will be going down for maintenance and will be extending their deadline until the 18th so if anyone wants to submit a last minute application, do it! They do require applicants to have a MA, though.

Interesting. Are there any other late deadlines out there? We may want to start a thread for others. 

Interesting. Are there any other late deadlines out there? We may want to start a thread for others. 

but it contains some useful information for anyone thinking about late deadline programs

Edit: After actually looking through that thread, it's really not all that helpful. I should probably read threads before I post links to them, and way before I say they contain "useful information." This is just reckless posting on my part, sorry folks

Edited by Lycidas

I guess I didn't get into Georgia State.

I'm thinking this is officially no longer exciting for me and is now just depressing.

I wouldn't count them out just yet. They seem to be rolling them out.

Waitlisted at USC (creative writing PhD, poetry). It seems to me that they've accepted their 6 candidates already, and contacted waitlistees tonight.

Congrats!

I just received one of those non-departmental "possible fake-out" emails. It includes possible red herrings like "your Director of Graduate studies" (emphasis mine, originally linked to the institution's DGS), "your Admissions Officer" (emphasis mine, with link to table of all AOs at said institution), and "will be even greater because of students such as you." 

I checked the application website. No change. This is the first I've heard from them. First thing I've heard from any of my applications, in fact.

I'm telling myself not to get my hopes up, but logic isn't working here.

Oh, PhD apps. Why must you toy with me so?

I just received one of those non-departmental "possible fake-out" emails. It includes possible red herrings like "your Director of Graduate studies" (emphasis mine, originally linked to the institution's DGS), "your Admissions Officer" (emphasis mine, with link to table of all AOs at said institution), and "will be even greater because of students such as you." 

I checked the application website. No change. This is the first I've heard from them. First thing I've heard from any of my applications, in fact.

It does sound promising though. Maybe call the DGS and inquire? I mean they contacted you first, it's not like you're nagging them or calling out of the blue. Let us know how it goes!

I received the same email and struggled with understanding what it might mean - trying not to get my hopes up. I sent an email to the AO but haven't heard anything yet. 

I received the same email and struggled with understanding what it might mean - trying not to get my hopes up. I sent an email to the AO but haven't heard anything yet. 

Let me know what you hear! I figured I'd give the department at least 24 hours to send me something else before I sent anything out, mostly for my own sanity. Waiting in general is better than waiting in specifics. 

but it contains some useful information for anyone thinking about late deadline programs

Edit: After actually looking through that thread, it's really not all that helpful. I should probably read threads before I post links to them, and way before I say they contain "useful information." This is just reckless posting on my part, sorry folks

A comprehensive wiki with program deadlines could be a good contribution too, assuming one does not already exist. It could help draw attention to promising programs that are outside of US New's top 50.