What subsections of Social Work entail a lot of creativity on the job?

ProspectiveMSW

I see creativity (and to a certain extent, problem solving) as my greatest asset.  It's certainly the thing that enthralls me the most, and if I can utilize this in a service profession, then that's even more motivating.  

I've previously considered some type of counseling to be my ideal role within the Social Work profession.  However, I've gotten the impression that this might really be more about devotion to a trusted, pre-defined method, rather than the direct type of creativity that really excites me.

I haven't yet ruled out counseling, but it seems like I should begin to evaluate some other options:  So, what subsections of Social Work would you suggest entail a lot of creativity on the job?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Edited by ProspectiveMSW

I think that research involves a lot of creativity and problem solving. This is one of the reasons I am so drawn to research because I tend to get bored easily, and having done research as an undergrad, there is always something new to figure out or alter, and things typically go at a faster pace (when you have adequate funding). Doing research also gives you the ability to present your findings, which I always find fun.

Thank you both!

I don't know a lot about what research entails, but I was kind of under the impression that doing research was pretty methodical on a day-to-day basis.  Am I wrong about this?  I definitely see how creativity is involved in proposing the research, but I would have guessed the process of actually carrying it out in the lab would be pretty methodical... at least until something goes "wrong", in which case I could see how creativity and problem solving would again come into play.  U-M_Detroiter, would you be willing to give me some examples of the things you were doing on a day-to-day basis research-wise?

I'll have to check more into macro social work. :-)

Do you like working with kids? Kids like to have fun and I see room for creativity there. Not sure how much time you're willing to devote to your studies but therapuetic recreation has a strong creative component and I wonder if you could somehow combine the two fields (perhaps with a certificate in therapeutic recreation), if that interests you.

Edited by jenste

Thank you both!

I don't know a lot about what research entails, but I was kind of under the impression that doing research was pretty methodical on a day-to-day basis.  Am I wrong about this?  I definitely see how creativity is involved in proposing the research, but I would have guessed the process of actually carrying it out in the lab would be pretty methodical... at least until something goes "wrong", in which case I could see how creativity and problem solving would again come into play.  U-M_Detroiter, would you be willing to give me some examples of the things you were doing on a day-to-day basis research-wise?

I'll have to check more into macro social work. :-)

I do research on recall fluency and stereotypic thinking in the psych department where I am currently an undergrad (about to graduate!) In our lab we are working on one project where I am often running participants through a set of tasks and a computer program. This in itself can be methodical, but getting to interact with different participants everyday always brings something new to the table. Developing the research methods when you first begin your project involve a lot of creativity as well as A LOT problem solving. I would also say that it depends on what you are researching and how you are going about it. I can definitely be methodical at some points. MSW03 also brings up a good point that policy change and program development (and program evaluation for that matter) also involve a lot of creativity and problem solving.  

I would add that experiment design is an extremely creative process.  I like to problem solve, and for me the most engaging part of the process is the research design.  I find it fun to try to foil myself.  Or think up alternative explanations and set up design elements so it eliminates complicating variables (or tries).  

Also, I think that therapy can be creative, because it's not just about following set rules, you have to problem solve (a creative process in my opinion) with so many variables.  You focus on a certain theory, but then you have to take into account environment, personality, money factors, and come up with a therapy solution that's "client focused."   I am not in any way saying create your own new therapy, but I think the best therapists are the creative i ones who take into account all factors and develop a treatment plan tailored for the client.

To clarify, is it really creativity you want, or is it something else you are hinting at?  Because I think almost all aspects of social work NEED creativity to be implemented correctly.  Case Management for example -- which I don't find particularly interesting, needs a lot of creativity for you to do your job well. To problem solve within the confines you are given?  Needs tons o' creativity!   

Thanks a lot everyone!  I'll have to look more into research and policy change/program development possibilities.

I would add that experiment design is an extremely creative process.  I like to problem solve, and for me the most engaging part of the process is the research design.  I find it fun to try to foil myself.  Or think up alternative explanations and set up design elements so it eliminates complicating variables (or tries).  

Also, I think that therapy can be creative, because it's not just about following set rules, you have to problem solve (a creative process in my opinion) with so many variables.  You focus on a certain theory, but then you have to take into account environment, personality, money factors, and come up with a therapy solution that's "client focused."   I am not in any way saying create your own new therapy, but I think the best therapists are the creative i ones who take into account all factors and develop a treatment plan tailored for the client.

To clarify, is it really creativity you want, or is it something else you are hinting at?  Because I think almost all aspects of social work NEED creativity to be implemented correctly.  Case Management for example -- which I don't find particularly interesting, needs a lot of creativity for you to do your job well. To problem solve within the confines you are given?  Needs tons o' creativity!   

Hey Goobah,

Thanks a lot for the input!

When I say that "direct creativity" is what really excites me, what I mean to refer to is the process of posing novel "solutions" or ideas that others may not have thought of.  I feel this is where I most thrive.  If I'm being totally honest, I suppose this is also something I would prefer to be recognized for on some level (again, being idealistic here).

Based on some of my experiences and things I've learned, I'm not sure therapy fits this mold.  I've come under the impression that the most effective therapy might really be more about mirroring a clients thoughts in a way that helps them solve a problem for themselves (or at least that helps them think that's what they're doing).  While I feel there is certainly latitude and some creativity involved in carrying this method out effectively, I feel that with experience, this process itself may also begin to become quite methodical.  Within this approach to therapy, I suspect the room for a therapist actually proposing novel solutions or ideas is quite secondary.  And in terms of my ideals as defined above, any opportunity for "recognition" for posing such novel ideas and solutions would seem quite minimal (though again, that is idealistic and I understand it's quite aside from the point of giving therapy... I very much care about people too and genuinely value the idea of helping them).

I understand there are probably other methods of therapy that would more-so fit my ideals, but so long as I believe that the aforementioned method is most effective in most cases, I don't think I could justify NOT adhering to the aforementioned method as a therapist.

Of course, I think I need more information regarding these suspicions before I rule out therapy on this basis, and I'm open to information of that nature.  But assuming there might be some realistic truth to my suspicions as outlined above, I'd like to explore what else is available that could possibly fulfill my needs better.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by ProspectiveMSW