Do I actually have a chance?

ssynny

I'm interested in analytical atmospheric chemistry, specifically mechanisms, and applied to the schools I found with similar research (4...). Unfortunately they are all really good schools, my favorite being UCI. I say unfortunately because my gpa is crap. I have a 2.84 now and will graduate with a 2.95. I took on wayyyy too much my first 3 semesters trying to double major in environmental chemistry and japanese with a minor in chemistry while working 30 hrs a week in a research lab. Anyone who has tried to double major with science and a language probably knows this was really ambitious. Either way, I learned my lesson and switched the Japanese major to a minor. Since then, my grades have been much better. The last 2 years I've maintained a 3.3 (not amazing, but nothing wrong with a B+!) and my major gpa is now a 3.3 too. I do have a nice upward trend even with the harder classes I've taken, but I know this isn't enough for most schools. I worked in a lab for 2 years studying neuroscience pathways/mechanisms, did summer research at WHOI, and now work in an ice cores lab with one of the leading researchers in the field. I will also be conducting field work in Greenland this summer, so I have a good amount of research experience. I think my rec letters are also pretty good: one from well known atmospheric chemist (my boss), one from a chemistry professor who really liked me, and one from the director of my summer program who is an administrator at NOAA. They spoke highly of my abilities. One last thing, I'm not sure if it matters, but I also attend a highly ranked school listed as a "new ivy-league" and well known for research. That said, I still have no idea if I have a chance. I have been shut out of so many great opportunities due to my low cumulative gpa. I just wish they can realize I made a mistake and have learned from it. I have not been rejected from anywhere yet, but I also haven't been accepted. No interviews either. Do you think I have a chance at UCI, WashU, Stony Brook, or CU Boulder (my boss did his postdoc there)??

A bit on UCI: I have been in pretty good contact with my first choice guy. As soon as my application was submitted, he looked for it and inquired further about my gpa. I emailed him again on Friday and he said the committee was concerned about my low gpa and asked if I had any comments on it since they need a good reason to admit anyone under a 3.0. I explained my situation and attached my resume and he said they were going to discuss my case further. This school is the perfect fit for me, so I pray they can see I've learned from my mistake 3 years ago.

Thanks for reading this and I encourage all comments, nice or harsh :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it all really depends on the school and some of it seems sort of random at times. Different committees emphasize different components of the app, so I think that to a lot of schools your research experience may really mean the most to them. However, I can't say I know anything about the chances of getting in if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I do think that it's a really good thing that you have been in contact with that professor though because if they are willing to stand up for you in the committee meeting then that might make all the difference. 

I think that it all really depends on the school and some of it seems sort of random at times. Different committees emphasize different components of the app, so I think that to a lot of schools your research experience may really mean the most to them. However, I can't say I know anything about the chances of getting in if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I do think that it's a really good thing that you have been in contact with that professor though because if they are willing to stand up for you in the committee meeting then that might make all the difference. 

Thank you so much for responding. I'm just so frustrated with my freshman self and really hope I didn't permanently ruin my chances. I hadn't heard back from any schools until today, and it was a rejection letter.... Hopefully my research experience and email exchanges are enough for the other schools. But I haven't seen many PhD acceptances with crappy GPA

I took off a few years after UG to work as a tech in a lab and got a few papers in the works, but I got into a PhD program with a 2.9/4.0 uGPA. A lot of times adcomms prefer someone with strong skills in the lab more than someone who is excellent at getting As. If your record is pretty substantial (I'm not too familiar with atmospheric sci but you're looking pretty damn good), I wouldn't lose hope yet. 

Edited by pyrocide

I took off a few years after UG to work as a tech in a lab and got a few papers in the works, but I got into a PhD program with a 2.9/4.0 uGPA. A lot of times adcomms prefer someone with strong skills in the lab more than someone who is excellent at getting As. If your record is pretty substantial (I'm not too familiar with atmospheric sci but you're looking pretty damn good), I wouldn't lose hope yet. 

Ahh this is really good to know. Congrats on your acceptance! Did you try applying for programs right out of UG?

What seachel and pyrocide said. I have a moderate GPA (overall is above 3.0, but not by a whole lot) after double majoring in a science and a humanities field. I have been most successful when I establish some sort of contact with POIs. For me it was a matter of finding a POI who valued the types of skills and traits that I had/have, not one who valued GPA the most.

I would much rather be in a lab where a PI is likely to say "She has a 3.2, but she can do x, y, and z, and is super motivated!" instead of one where the PI says "She can do x, y, and z, and she's super motivated...but she has a 3.2."

There's a big difference, imo.

Ahh this is really good to know. Congrats on your acceptance! Did you try applying for programs right out of UG?

Thanks dude! I did not apply for programs straight out of UG: at the time I was pretty burnt out, I felt like I could have used more independent research experience, and I had some family things going on the last couple years that have made applying to school a bit out of reach (geeeez applying is expensive!) The wait was killer but it's done now and I'm pretty much counting down the days til next fall! 

Unbrokenthread, yeah that definitely makes sense. I got my first rejection yesterday and it was from a school where my POIs were really interested in me due to my experience, but then ignored me once my app was uploaded with my gpa. I feel that probably wouldn't have been a great learning environment. It's just tough cuz I am below their requirement. Darn Japanese language!

Pyrocide, the wait is totally killing me haha. I have 3 schools left and I wish they would just let me know if I'm rejected soon so I can move on

Ssynny, I feel like I am in the same boat with you. So far the only news I have gotten is bad news and waiting to hear back from the rest of my schools is giving me a stomach ulcer. I just keep trying to remind myself that sometimes things work out at the very last minute right as it starts to seem hopeless and more importantly not going to grad school next year doesn't mean not going to grad school ever. 

Hey ssynny!  I'm guessing it was Stony Brook that you heard back from yesterday?  I'd say you're either still being considered at CU or on a waitlist type deal since they've sent out a bunch of rejections already.  Considering that UCI asked for clarification about your GPA, I'm guessing you didn't really address it in your SOP? 

That's a good sign that UCI asked for clarification though. 

I am like in you that just out of UG I had tons of research but by GPA was only 3.3.

Even though the focus on GPA over experience can sometimes seem ridiculus, now that I am working on a masters I get it. Anything under a 3.0 in grad will get you kicked out of the program so if you cant keep that in undergrad when classes are easier, then they worry that you wont be able to finsh their program. Even if you have great experience, they usually will take the person with the second best experience instead of gambling on someone they worry might get kicked out. If you don't have any luck then you could take the path that I am, getting a masters before phd. If you make sure you keep a 4.0 in the program (or at least well above a 3.5) then I think you can prove to the committee that you have the experience AND you wont have a problem getting As in classes and passing qualifying exams.

Yeah I didn't address it in my SOP because I just wanted to focus on my experience and how I'd be a good fit. I thought about addressing it, but it just seemed out of place. It's been 2 weeks since I last spoke to my POI at Irvine, so I sent him a brief email asking about my status. He said my application is still pending, but they made some progress in the admission process so I should hear back soon. This doesn't sound very hopeful though since if it was going well, he would have told me. It kinda seems like I should expect bad news.

I totally understand that they want to make sure their students can handle the work. I've taken really difficult and graduate level courses the last 2 years and done well. I hope they see that.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard back from 3/4 schools: rejected. I'm still waiting on my top choice with the professor who I've spoken to the most. I haven't spoken to him in 20 days since he told me they were making progress on admissions. I really want to email him and see what's up and if I should expect another rejection. I know I shouldn't but I just need to know if I should implement plan b. Thoughts?

Since English isn't my first language, I only did so and so on the GRE (60%~). When i applied to schools, I wrote an "addendum" explaining my situation and how standardized testing didn't represent my success in undergraduate and it certainly wouldn't predict my future success in graduate school. It might be a little bit late for you to do something like that but it never hurts. I think the professor will appreciate the professionalism and it is also better to explain in a couple of formal long paragraphs instead of just an email.

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it might be a little late, but next year I might briefly address it. I still plan on applying to UCI, which has 2 statements the want you to write: about why you would be a good fit (SOP) and one on your personal history. I'll definitely find a spot for it. This all assuming a miracle doesn't happen and I don't get in.

My last update: Got my last rejection today from my top choice. I emailed my POI thanking him for spending so much time on his responses to me and hoping that we still seem in touch since I plan to reapply. He responded saying that he tried really hard to get my application approved by the committee, but I didn't get accepted in the end. The potential silver lining is that he may be looking for a lab manager/research assistant next year and asked if I would be interested. I really like his research, so even though I wouldn't be his student, I would still get the chance to do some cool things. I'm still surprised he offered, but I'm not getting my hopes up since it's still uncertain. I hope it works out! Thank you everyone for your support throughout all this. I wish I could contribute to the sub-3.0 gpa acceptance thread, but maybe next time.

I'm sure you did this in your SoP/whatever, but for others:

If your GPA in the last 2 years or your major GPA is better than your cGPA, mention it! If your GPA has been steadily climbing over time, mention it! You're not lying by mentioning this, especially since your transcript is appended, so don't let your mediocre cGPA just sit there as if it's "honest". Sell yourself wherever possible. (Edit: don't omit cGPA from written material if you mention other stats, since that looks suspicious)

You may be surprised by how much better these stats are. No, they're not a substitute for your cGPA, but many adcomms will put some weight on progressive improvement and GPA in relevant courses. I was surprised how much my first few semesters dragged down my GPA... I definitely was much more focused in my 3rd and 4th years.

I know some universities actually only look at (or at least officially consider) last 2 years GPA. These may or may not be a strong fit for you so ymmv

Edited by rvict

Yeah I didn't mention that. My major gpa especially after this last semester is a lot higher and my last 2 years have been good. I'll definitely take a second to mention that in my sop. Thanks for the advice!