Grad School Resolutions?

I like to think of starting Grad School as a sort of clean slate--a fresh start full of potential. I guess this is particularly true in my case because I did my B.A. and my M.A. at the same University, conveniently located in the tiny city in which I grew up. 

Just to clarify: I don't need a new start in terms of grades or anything. I've just been in the same place for so long that I can't wait to finally move on and REALLY start my life away from the people who have known me since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Does anyone else feel this way?

All that said, I'm approaching the start of my new program much like I would New Year's: making plans and resolutions.

1. Be more social and be part of the community (my cohort, the university, and the city itself). This was hard for me during my B.A. and half of my M.A. because I was under 21 and so the ways in which I could socialize with my peers were very limited. I'm also fairly introverted and, although I have been getting better at socializing comfortably, I default to reclusive. But, I've been making socialization a priority because I need to be a balanced person (I know my spouse appreciates it when I am!) and I plan to continue doing so wherever I end up this fall.
  2. Explore! I've always wanted move away from my hometown and explore bigger, different, interesting places and cultures. This is another step in the right direction! I will get to know a new place, and probably the places within driving distance (by New Mexico standards, that's about a 4 hour drive away, btw). 
  3. This is a given, but: KEEP ROCKIN' IT ACADEMICALLY. The application process really crushes our self-confidence and emphasizes impostor syndrome, but we wouldn't even be applying--let alone be getting accepted--if we weren't academic rock stars. 
  4. Don't let my music die (my husband and I perform a mix of folk/punk/bluegrass/blues/etc., a lot of which I write). Find venues (open mics, farmer's markets, etc.) and make time to play!
  5. READ MORE. But this is always my resolution. Ah, the life of the English major.

How about you all? Are you making any resolutions for the upcoming academic year?

Edited by bgguitarist

I completely agree with 1, 2, and 3! Especially being more involved. I want to go somewhere with school spirit and strong support for both clubs/orgs and athletics. My current undergrad school is a bit apathetic sometimes about school wide things.

I completely agree with 1, 2, and 3! Especially being more involved. I want to go somewhere with school spirit and strong support for both clubs/orgs and athletics. My current undergrad school is a bit apathetic sometimes about school wide things.

I want to have school spirit and be somewhere with a lot of school spirit, too. I never really had school spirit at my Alma mater just because (1) the school was old news to me by the time I attended and, (2) our only good sports team was soccer (which I love, nevertheless).

Folk-punk-bluegrass-blues???

Dylan meets Richard Hell playing the fiddle with hound dog Taylor... Fascinating!

Your music sounds wonderful! And the fact that you play with your SO. I want your life.

I agree with BowTies!

BG: Do you guys have music up on iTunes or SoundCloud? I'd love to have a listen. It sounds like raucous fun.

I want to stop, or lessen, my procrastination.  It screws me over in daily life, but positively knee-caps me in academics. I end up not reading everything I'm supposed to, or working on papers last minute... bad news stuff.  Needs to stop.

While this resolution applies to my pre-graduate school life, it nonetheless serves to better my time (and health) during my studies: I'm quitting smoking. Yikes. 

I.am.with.you.on.this. x100

I'm in the middle of attempting the same. PM me anytime if you need a solidarity boost.

Folk-punk-bluegrass-blues???

Dylan meets Richard Hell playing the fiddle with hound dog Taylor... Fascinating!

Your music sounds wonderful! And the fact that you play with your SO. I want your life.

Hah! Thank you.  

I agree with BowTies!

BG: Do you guys have music up on iTunes or SoundCloud? I'd love to have a listen. It sounds like raucous fun.

Sadly, no. Not yet. I've been doing this for a while but the SO hasn't and he's got a bit of stage fright still. I'm hoping to get something up over the summer, though.

I love meaningful resolutions. I posted a few back in August on my blog, right before my classes started. For this semester, I made a few goals about keeping to a reasonable schedule (so far, check!), developing interests and commitments outside of academia (check!), and maintaining a consistent exercise schedule (huge, blatant failure!). 

I love meaningful resolutions. I posted a few back in August on my blog, right before my classes started. For this semester, I made a few goals about keeping to a reasonable schedule (so far, check!), developing interests and commitments outside of academia (check!), and maintaining a consistent exercise schedule (huge, blatant failure!). 

I made working out consistently this semester's goal (along with revising/submitting a few papers for publication) because I'm just teaching, not taking classes. I've found that hoola hooping (with a weighted, adult sized hoop) lets me work out at home, which means I'm more likely to do it...that and it's both low impact and high results (burns 7 calories a minute, give or take). 

I made working out consistently this semester's goal (along with revising/submitting a few papers for publication) because I'm just teaching, not taking classes. I've found that hoola hooping (with a weighted, adult sized hoop) lets me work out at home, which means I'm more likely to do it...that and it's both low impact and high results (burns 7 calories a minute, give or take). 

Great idea! I'm all about making exercise fun and easy. A few months ago, my husband and I splurged on buying an exercise bike, which I use while watching TV or reading for class. I had an awesome routine going on for the first two weeks of the semester, then BAM! The common cold hit, which I used as an excuse to completely stop. I'm gonna try to get back on the horse soon, but starting back up after a long break (two weeks +) is the hardest. But I am determined to try again! 

I also failed at excercising first semester...I may have gone on a short run once or twice...I watched a lot of Netflicks.

But this semester I have actually be much better about it - I've been going to some group excercise classing at the gym which kills the getting involved and working out birds with one stone. In fact, in general I've been sticking to my resolutions a lot better in my second semester of grad school than I did in my first: 

1. Make time for pleasure reading/creative writing. I'm in a Lit PhD program, so things can get pretty dry and theory-heavy. My goal is to write at least one page of creative writing a day (which more or less happens) and listen to fun books on audio while I am driving/cooking/cleaning etc.

2. Actually get started working on my end-of-term papers before spring break. This is one I've always had, but have never acheived. I actually spent time getting ahead on research this weekend though so maybe this is the year I overcome procrastination!

3. Get involved in the grad school community.

4. Eat healthy! (Been going well so far, except when I am tempted to eat at restaurants!)

5. Save money. This one has not been going well. I have electric heat and a poorly insulated apartment, and multiple months of sub-zero temperatures have resulted in a $210 electric bill for a one-bedroom. Ouch. I also spent money on fun activities with my SO when he came to visit and am now going on a roadtrip for Mardi Gras sooooo...this one needs work. Luckily my living situation next year should be a lot cheaper.

While this resolution applies to my pre-graduate school life, it nonetheless serves to better my time (and health) during my studies: I'm quitting smoking. Yikes. [my emphasis]

This. Kyrie eleison, yes. The yoga-all-day-every-day is going to have to ensue in force for that to become a reality. Thankfully, there are yoga studios & places for a mat to be spread all over Austin.