Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Well, according to another offer holder this year there are 26 people in total. 

26 people is a lot. So that would mean, if the other person is correct, that they only go to the waitlist if fewer than five people accept. Now, let's say that three people accept their initial offers. Then that leaves two to three spots left. And fot 26 people? Then the odds are long, but not as long as they were in the first round of initial acceptances.

26 people is a lot. So that would mean, if the other person is correct, that they only go to the waitlist if fewer than five people accept. Now, let's say that three people accept their initial offers. Then that leaves two to three spots left. And fot 26 people? Then the odds are long, but not as long as they were in the first round of initial acceptances.

Well, 26 people for 2 spots is just too crazy. I don't think people would *publish* wrong information here, so my reasonable guess is that UVA hasn't figured out what a good waiting list system is. 

Well, 26 people for 2 spots is just too crazy. I don't think people would *publish* wrong information here, so my reasonable guess is that UVA hasn't figured out what a good waiting list system is. 

I am curious though how he got the information that 26 people were on the waitlist. I.e. how he, and how the offer holder, got that information. Not even the guy who went there and published all that info said anything about there being 26 people on the waitlist. He said they usually have like 12 people on the waitlist. 

I am curious though how he got the information that 26 people were on the waitlist. I.e. how he, and how the offer holder, got that information. Not even the guy who went there and published all that info said anything about there being 26 people on the waitlist. He said they usually have like 12 people on the waitlist. 

Oh, my bad. If I understood him correctly, there are 26 people in total this year including offer holders and those on the waiting list!

I don't remember his username, but he said something like there are 26 people competing for 5 or 6 spots this year to zizeksucks. 

How that kind of information was initially obtained is another issue. Probably he attended the campus and talked to the faculty. I guess a total number is not too confidential to give to an offer holder. 

Oh, my bad. If I understood him correctly, there are 26 people in total this year including offer holders and those on the waiting list!

I don't remember his username, but he said something like there are 26 people competing for 5 or 6 spots this year to zizeksucks

Ok, that makes sense. So they probably made a few initial offers, like 5-6, and then I think three turned down, if the other person on here is right. Then they have 2-3 more spots to fill, and lets say they have 20 then to fill the spots. Assume four people took their name off the waitlist, so that leaves 16 for 2-3 spots. Still long odds, but slightly better. 

Ok, that makes sense. So they probably made a few initial offers, like 5-6, and then I think three turned down, if the other person on here is right. Then they have 2-3 more spots to fill, and lets say they have 20 then to fill the spots. Assume four people took their name off the waitlist, so that leaves 16 for 2-3 spots. Still long odds, but slightly better. 

You're absolutely right. *slightly* better. I hope more people actually took their names off but just didn't go to places like GradCafe. May I know about your AOIs, if that's okay?

You're absolutely right. *slightly* better. I hope more people actually took their names off but just didn't go to places like GradCafe. May I know about your AOIs, if that's okay?

Sure, my AOIs are ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology. Maybe more people took their names off the waitlist, but I didn't see so many say so on the grad cafe results page, I think one person said they were taking their name off. But of course, more people than that should be taking their name off. My question is, if more people take their names off the waitlist, do they then add more people to the waitlist? So lets say, exaggerating of course, that if there are originally 20 people on the waitlist, and 18 take their names off, do they put another 18 people on the waitlist? Or do they just stick with the remaining 2 they have and make offers to them? I would say realistically there must be about 12-14 people firmly on the waitlist, for about 2-3 spots, meaning, those 12-14 want to be on the waitlist and would attend UVA. I was generous and assumed 8 people took their names off the list already. 

Sure, my AOIs are ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology. Maybe more people took their names off the waitlist, but I didn't see so many say so on the grad cafe results page, I think one person said they were taking their name off. But of course, more people than that should be taking their name off. My question is, if more people take their names off the waitlist, do they then add more people to the waitlist? So lets say, exaggerating of course, that if there are originally 20 people on the waitlist, and 18 take their names off, do they put another 18 people on the waitlist? Or do they just stick with the remaining 2 they have and make offers to them? I would say realistically there must be about 12-14 people firmly on the waitlist, for about 2-3 spots, meaning, those 12-14 want to be on the waitlist and would attend UVA. I was generous and assumed 8 people took their names off the list already. 

Everything we speculate here is senseless and doesn't affect the real procedures at all. Sad.

Posted this in another thread, but posting here as well because I know many of you are on the Wisconsin-Madison waitlist. I officially accepted my Wisconsin offer, and my AOI is ethics, broadly. It seems that they have about eight offers of admission out, and at least three of those have officially accepted including myself.

Posted this in another thread, but posting here as well because I know many of you are on the Wisconsin-Madison waitlist. I officially accepted my Wisconsin offer, and my AOI is ethics, broadly. It seems that they have about eight offers of admission out, and at least three of those have officially accepted including myself.

Thank you for the info, wandajune, and congratulations on your choice! UW is a fantastic school and I wish you the best in your studies in its phil program. 

Maybe my landlady was really lenient, but last year when I was in this position I just told her the situation and that since there was a very concrete deadline (April 15th), she would know for sure about renewing the lease on that date. She seemed fine letting me delay the renewal (or nonrenewal) until then.

Received an email from Paul Draper stating that it is looking less likely that I will be able to get funding at Purdue. Bummer. I will, however, hold on hope.

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that UCLA hasn't released waitlist or rejection notifications yet?

Apparently UCLA does not have waitlist--instead they admit people in rounds, apparently only a few at a time. But yes, this timing is totally insane. They should at the very least communicate to applicants whether they have been rejected or whether their application is still under considieration by now. It's April tomorrow, and in two very short weeks, the decisions MUST be made. I even emailed UCLA to ask if they were planning on making any more offers (not even asking about my own application, just whether or not they were finished admitting people) and Calvin Normore still hasn't gotten back to me a week later. This is so rude.

That said, if I got in I'd probably go lol...