Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Sorry to hear that, but surely it's still early days. That was a solicited email, right? 

He says that they will probably admit some more (not many, though), and my future cannot be predicted... Why don't you just kill me instead of this... (Not to mention one faculty member sending an email to me as an admit but later apologize for her mistake)

But congrats to that lucky guy, whoever he/she is!

(Again, I did not ask for this piece of information.)

Edited by Hilbert's timequake

He says that they will probably admit some more (not many, though), and my future cannot be predicted... Why don't you just kill me instead of this... (Not to mention one faculty member sending an email to me as an admit but later apologize for her mistake)

But congrats to that lucky guy, whoever he/she is!

(Again, I did not ask for this piece of information.)

Sounds like you still have a shot at USC. And even if you don't get in there, you have offers from UMass and Notre Dame! Not such a raw deal :)

can anybody claim the uconn waitlist? i'm curious as to whether this was a solicited notification (it looks like the last two years you could solicit via email to find out if you were waitlisted). i'd love to hear something from them before april 19!

can anybody claim the uconn waitlist? i'm curious as to whether this was a solicited notification (it looks like the last two years you could solicit via email to find out if you were waitlisted). i'd love to hear something from them before april 19!

I really do not understand. You have so many much BETTER offers than UConn, why care so much about UConn? If you are offered admission at UConn, would you choose it over Stanford, Northwestern, UT-Austin? Sorry for my remarks. But I am really confused. 

I really do not understand. You have so many much BETTER offers than UConn, why care so much about UConn? If you are offered admission at UConn, would you choose it over Stanford, Northwestern, UT-Austin? Sorry for my remarks. But I am really confused. 

Just a reminder that there are all sorts of reasons one might prefer one school over another that are totally unrelated to PGR: POIs, two body problems, better fit, need to be close to family, etc. I'd also like to hear why philospheme is interested in UConn, but that's mostly because I find Storrs to be a super boring place. 

Just a reminder that there are all sorts of reasons one might prefer one school over another that are totally unrelated to PGR: POIs, two body problems, better fit, need to be close to family, etc. I'd also like to hear why philospheme is interested in UConn, but that's mostly because I find Storrs to be a super boring place. 

Yes, I agree. I was just curious why philosopheme is very interested in UConn at Storrs; I did not mean to be offensive. Congrats to philosopheme on the multiple acceptances to choose from!  :)

I knew that post would look weird! i'm happy to explain:

1. I feel uncomfortable making a final decision before I've heard back from every school.

2. I wrote my thesis/have done additional work in non-classical theories of logic, disquotational truth, and paradoxes, and additionally have interests in feminist ethics. this makes uconn potentially the best fit for my interests of any school i applied to. (my writing sample was about beall's semantic dialetheism)

3. My undergrad advisor is moving there. I don't want to continue working with the same advisor (and, from what i can understand, that's a near-universally bad idea), but his (romantic) partner [*edit: they're married, this isn't meant to be a gossipy/down-low thing. i just say 'partner' whenever possible. they're married.*] is moving with him, and her (research) partner from another school is moving there with her! I barely took classes with my advisor's partner, but am becoming way more interested in her area than when I was an undergrad, and was already heavily interested in her research partner's work, and would be stoked to work with him.

4. From what's on their website, their funding is way better than any other public school I have gotten into.

5. Personal reasons would make staying on the east coast really, really, really convenient. This was not the case when I applied, or else I probably would have applied to more than six schools on the east coast.

6. Given the tons of funding the department is getting, and the expansion of the department over the last couple years (which might not be finished?!), I would be really surprised if UConn wasn't much, much higher in the PGR by the time I'm graduating. (I'd have to be more critical of this point once I was actually making a decision if I got into UConn, but right now as a factor, I think it's safe to consider that a department that has doubled its size and poached at least four senior faculty from higher ranked schools is going to move up in the rankings)

This isn't to say that I know for certain that I would choose UConn over any of those other schools. Or that it's likely, even. But I hope this is enough to show why, if my application is being considered there, I would like a chance to visit/consider it before deciding on another program. I'm not so wedded to my interests to where I'd pass up Stanford just because they don't have any dialetheists, or anything crazy like that.

And, yeah, I've heard Storrs is a pretty awful place. Look at the list of schools I applied to and you'll see a familiar theme: I only applied to places that were either (i) in or near areas that are nice to live or (ii) in the state of connecticut
;)

Edited by philosopheme

And, yeah, I've heard Storrs is a pretty awful place. Look at the list of schools I applied to and you'll see a familiar theme: I only applied to places that were either (i) in or near areas that are nice to live or (ii) in the state of connecticut

;)

DAMMIT i always forget i applied to a school in new jersey, too. but, mostly, yeah this holds.

Soooo, remove yourself from WMU's waitlist to help me out, k thx bye.

Tradesies?

We have a mutual friend: WaitForIt (I think is his name--Wes).

How did you find out about being waitlisted at WMU, solicit an email? That's what I did, but I didn't hear any details about where I'm at on their list.

Tradesies?

How did you find out about being waitlisted at WMU, solicit an email? That's what I did, but I didn't hear any details about where I'm at on their list.

Ha!  Yes, Wes.

I had to contact a professor there, yes.  And he didn't have any info on where I was on the list, but he did say they usually only get 50% of their first round offers...

I knew that post would look weird! i'm happy to explain:

Ah, so you're one of Keith's students. Well I feel like given your interests this would be the best place for you (even over other very highly ranked places). UConn is without a doubt one of the best places in the world for logic, if not the best. We have more faculty working in logic than pretty much every other department (and all working on cool stuff), some fairly famous people (e.g. Beall) and the UConn Logic Group kicks ass. Damir Dzhafarov, a logician in the math department, told me that the UConn Logic Group is better than both Notre Dame and Berkeley's, where he did post doc's. I think people would be hard pressed to find a better school for logic on the whole than UConn (although there are certainly schools with individual better/more famous logicians).

If you do get into UConn we should certainly talk. I turned down a Top20 school to come here a couple years ago, and that was before we hired Keith and Dorit.

Storrs does suck a ton though.

Tradesies?

Ha!  Yes, Wes.

I had to contact a professor there, yes.  And he didn't have any info on where I was on the list, but he did say they usually only get 50% of their first round offers...

Wow, thanks for outing me, guys. Now everyone *knows* who I am. ;) 

Ah, so you're one of Keith's students. Well I feel like given your interests this would be the best place for you (even over other very highly ranked places). UConn is without a doubt one of the best places in the world for logic, if not the best. We have more faculty working in logic than pretty much every other department (and all working on cool stuff), some fairly famous people (e.g. Beall) and the UConn Logic Group kicks ass. Damir Dzhafarov, a logician in the math department, told me that the UConn Logic Group is better than both Notre Dame and Berkeley's, where he did post doc's. I think people would be hard pressed to find a better school for logic on the whole than UConn (although there are certainly schools with individual better/more famous logicians).

If you do get into UConn we should certainly talk. I turned down a Top20 school to come here a couple years ago, and that was before we hired Keith and Dorit.

Storrs does suck a ton though.

Do you know why Dzhafarov says that? I actually just crossed off UConn from my tentative application list because looking more closely at it, there really wasn't much work being done that interested me, as was being done at other places in certain areas of mathematical logic, phil math, and mathematics.

But now I'm worried that maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Establishment

Ha!  Yes, Wes.

Good! 50% is crazy, and I imagine loads on the waitlist have been accepted elsewhere. Best of luck to you; Kalamazoo is a great town, with great beer, and Michigan is a truly wonderful state. We lived in Lake Orion and Auburn Hills for a bit (eastern side of the Mitten), and my wife's family is up in Traverse City. In all, I wouldn't mind settling in Michigan (and hunting bears).

Wow, thanks for outing me, guys. Now everyone *knows* who I am. ;)

Dun, dun, dunnn. Boogie men will definitely come and steal your writing sample now!

Do you know why Dzhafarov says that? I actually just crossed off UConn from my tentative application list because looking more closely at it, there really wasn't much work being done that interested me, as was being done at other places in certain areas of mathematical logic, phil math, and mathematics.

But now I'm worried that maybe I'm missing something.

The UConn Logic Group is a truly interdisciplinary group. It meets every other week and has members primarily from philosophy, math and linguistics (but also from law, psychology). Damir said that there really isn't another group like it anywhere in the US - Notre Dame and Berkeley have things that are advertised as such, but there's very little actual connection between the groups. Here there's a lot of connection between the departments, including students (and professors) taking courses in other departments (eg Damir's reverse math seminar is half philosophy, half math).

Without knowing what you're interested in it's tough for me to say whether here would've been a good fit for you. Most of the work in the philosophy department is in philosophical logic and philosophy of logic, but there are some people doing straight mathematical logic. Also philosophy of math is pretty good here - there's a course going on right now in neologicism that I hear is really interesting, and another one being taught on the brand new translation of Frege's Basic Laws next year.

Update from Wisconsin: "This is an update on the status of your application to the UW-Madison Philosophy grad program for fall 2014. You are in the top 5 on our wait list. We are waiting to hear from roughly 10 people that we have already accepted, and of course, they have until April 15th to tell us their decision. Within your group of five, there is no ranked order. Who we accept from the wait list will depend on various factors such as area of interest in philosophy, so that we can have a well-rounded class."