Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Ian I noticed you said that CUNY has given out waitlists on your notifications part of the blog. I don't think we have any reason to believe that is so. There was that one post:

CUNY Philosophy, PhD (S14) Wait listed via Other on 1 Mar 2014   1 Mar 2014
  • For those of you who have posted that you got accepted to CUNY, are any of you female students with better offers (waiting on better offers?)

I don't think this is someone report ing that they are on a waitlist, but someone asking a question. Last year they didn't give out waitlists until later, nor the year before... With only one person even posting a waitlistish-thing and nobody on the forums claiming it, I would think that it wouldn't match the standard you find necessary.

Or anyway, once I figured out that was the case, it seemed that I was definitely wait listed. If I had read the initial e-mail more closely, I would have first logged my acceptance as a wait list, because that's what further correspondence revealed it to effectively be. 

But maybe they keep another wait list, too, below that one? It seems possible. 

Mark Wrathall back.  He said that its an unranked wait list, and they try to keep things balanced out in term of interests, so if a spot opens up for someone with your interests, then you get admitted.

So what are the AOI's of the people on the wait-list or who have been accepted?

I'm kind of broad with German philosophy, ethics, phil religion, and aesthetics.

I am in at UCR; my interests are (empirical perspectives on) mind, psychology and psychiatry, and moral psychology/agency. At this point, UCR is my only offer and seems like a great fit; I will therefore likely be accepthing the offer.

Or anyway, once I figured out that was the case, it seemed that I was definitely wait listed. If I had read the initial e-mail more closely, I would have first logged my acceptance as a wait list, because that's what further correspondence revealed it to effectively be. 

But maybe they keep another wait list, too, below that one? It seems possible. 

According to results from past years, yes they do hold a separate waitlist.

I emailed Mark Wrathall back.  He said that its an unranked wait list, and they try to keep things balanced out in term of interests, so if a spot opens up for someone with your interests, then you get admitted.

So what are the AOI's of the people on the wait-list or who have been accepted?

I'm kind of broad with German philosophy, ethics, phil religion, and aesthetics.

Thanks, I emailed Mark Wrathall too, and heard pretty much the same thing.

My AoI's are action theory (which is why I applied to UCR), ethics, and philosophy of law. 

I have declined University of Arizona and UCSD, and I just withdrew from University of Toronto's wait list. Good luck, all -- I sincerely hope this makes good things happen for others here.  

I wish you had Virginia you could do :(

You're turning down Indiana for Syracuse/SLU? What is your AOI?

fundamental metaphysics. In addition to having Heller, McDaniel, and Gallois, Syracuse has a grant program at Cornell that allows students to take one class per semester (opens the door to ted sider, karen bennett, derk pereboom) and SLU is getting Jason Turner from Leeds. O'Connor is really the only person I'd want to work with at Indiana. 

Have you been waitlisted?

I am not sure if CUNY officailly contacted the waitlisted people yet, but through bugging people I found out that I am on an unordered waitlist of 20. They also specified that they will try to keep the ratio of male/female offers identical to the one currently in place for the 10 offeres they did send out. So I am wondering if any female students (specializing in mind) are ready to jump ship to NYU, Rutgers, or Princeton or whatever other fancy place that has just emailed out offers.

I am not sure if CUNY officailly contacted the waitlisted people yet, but through bugging people I found out that I am on an unordered waitlist of 20. They also specified that they will try to keep the ratio of male/female offers identical to the one currently in place for the 10 offeres they did send out. So I am wondering if any female students (specializing in mind) are ready to jump ship to NYU, Rutgers, or Princeton or whatever other fancy place that has just emailed out offers.

Who should I bug?

My girlfriend just took herself off the UC Riverside wait list. Hopefully that will help some folks.

EDIT: She took herself off the Indiana wait list as well.

She is so considerate! Folks on the wait lists will surely appreciate her doing so. I bet she is a *moral* philosopher. 

Edited by Platonist

My girlfriend just took herself off the UC Riverside wait list. Hopefully that will help some folks.

EDIT: She took herself off the Indiana wait list as well.

Tell her thanks! And that it sucks that you didn't both get into Riverside.

She is so considerate! Folks on the wait lists will surely appreciate her. I bet she is a moral philosopher. 

Well, she is interested in applied ethics ;)

Tell her thanks! And that it sucks that you didn't both get into Riverside.

Will do. Actually, since she has an offer at UCSD, we're not too bothered about that. 

Well, she is interested in applied ethics ;)

Right, applied ethics falls under the broader heading of moral philosophy. Doing ethics perhaps has strengthened her considerateness. Yes, say thanks to her for me too. 

]I fit the description above and declined my offer two days ago.

Are you sure you are a mind person and not a language person?? Two days ago?? That makes me very anxious since i have not heard anything!