Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

For what it's worth, I emailed UW-M about my position on their waitlist, and Alan Sidelle responded to me, saying, "I can't be very exact just yet, but you are pretty high on our wait list." I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

Incidentally, I just had a dream that I got waitlisted at Rutgers. Even in my dreams, I only get waitlisted.

Edited by zblaesi

I found the two Irvine wait-list notifications this morning. Anyone want to claim them? Were they sent yesterday? I didn't receive one and am assuming a rejection at this point.  

They are legit, I just spoke with someone in my program who received one.

For what it's worth, I emailed UW-M about my position on their waitlist, and Alan Sidelle responded to me, saying, "I can't be very exact just yet, but you are pretty high on our wait list." I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

I'm starting to wonder -- and yes, I realize I should have thought about this a long time ago -- whether it's in a department's best interests to be coy about the wait-list rankings, particularly with those people who aren't very high on the list. Because they know that any of these people on the wait-list may end up at the program. And they probably don't want to start the relationship by saying, "Look, you were our absolute last choice among those we admitted" (hyperbole for effect). Nevertheless departments do frequently answer the question to those who ask.

This Wisconsin-Madison wait-list is a long one, I think.

It looks like the only place I really have a chance at is GSU. I think I'm going to move there one way or another, because GSU gave my significant other a scholarship that she can't pass up. Anyone been to Atlanta before?

Traffic sucks but it's a fairly nice place. Some great food (surprisingly Asian food) if you hunt around a bit. Good luck with getting off that waitlist!

So just to be clear, no waitlist news from CUNY, appears that only first round acceptances were sent?

I was accepted but wait listed for funding, and so was someone else. So that could just be what they do instead of wait listing people.

I was accepted but wait listed for funding, and so was someone else. So that could just be what they do instead of wait listing people.

You said you were waitlisted for fellowship...but fellowship isn't "funding," at least not typically. Fellowship typically means "you get paid money and don't have to teach." It's usually an "extra" that schools will offer to a couple students each year to get them to come. I don't have the full context of your email, but I would assume that you are currently accepted and guaranteed an assistantship, but you are on a waitlist for their special fellowship. You ought to ask them!

It looks like the only place I really have a chance at is GSU. I think I'm going to move there one way or another, because GSU gave my significant other a scholarship that she can't pass up. Anyone been to Atlanta before?

No go at Houston? NIU?

No go at Houston? NIU?

No word from NIU yet and U Houston (I think, but the email was confusing) offered me admission, but it was unfunded. My significant other got a great scholarship from GSU though for Environmental Studies (Science?) and I can't rightly deny her the opportunity to go, so I think I'll be going there one way or another. I can do all the work I need to do in order to improve my application there while working, and I can keep in touch with my faculty long distance, so it's not really a major issue. The way I see it, they either offer me admission, in which case I'll be going there anyway, or they don't and I'll see if I can introduce myself to some of the faculty I'd like to work with in person.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I've been told by a Christian philosopher to avoid Notre Dame like the plague. Look into Josh Rasmussen. The guy was quite talented and had all these publications and yet couldn't get a job anywhere (last I spoke with him a year ago).

Philosophers and their hatred of philosophy of religion, you know...

He's got a job at Arizona Pacific University now.

http://www.apu.edu/theology/faculty/jrasmussen/

No word from NIU yet and U Houston (I think, but the email was confusing) offered me admission, but it was unfunded. My significant other got a great scholarship from GSU though for Environmental Studies (Science?) and I can't rightly deny her the opportunity to go, so I think I'll be going there one way or another. I can do all the work I need to do in order to improve my application there while working, and I can keep in touch with my faculty long distance, so it's not really a major issue. The way I see it, they either offer me admission, in which case I'll be going there anyway, or they don't and I'll see if I can introduce myself to some of the faculty I'd like to work with in person.

I'm facing a two-body problem as well, albeit a significantly different one, so I'll be rooting for you to get in off the waitlist (well, more so than my default level of rooting for other applicants)!