Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Waitlists news and notifications deserve their own thread. So, here's one. Please post here if you get waitlisted anywhere, get in off the waitlist, remove yourself from one, turn down an offer from a school with a waitlist, etc.

I'll start:

I'm waitlisted at Pitt and would appreciate knowing if/when anyone with an offer from Pitt turns it down.

I also removed myself from the Indiana, Bloomington waitlist earlier today.

I'm currently on the wait list at U of Arizona; received the notification Feb 10th through email. 

Edit: Pretty desperate to get in off the wait list! Arizona is pretty much my #1 choice for grad school (barring a miracle in which I get into NYU). 

Edited by humean_skeptic

I'm currently waitlisted at Fordham/accepted to their MA. I will likely take myself off the list, but I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools before I do so!

I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but it's probable that i won't be accepting Fordham's offer as I am very interested in Penn State's offer. I will probably also take myself off the DePaul waitlist soon.

I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but it's probable that i won't be accepting Fordham's offer as I am very interested in Penn State's offer. I will probably also take myself off the DePaul waitlist soon.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm honestly more interested in Penn State's offer, even I did get off the waitlist at Fordham. Penn State seems like a much better fit for me, in general. I'll likely give myself a few more weeks to think it over, regardless.

Differance and Johannes,

This is so good to hear. I'm on the wait list at Fordham too, but I'd accept; they're my top choice. 

I was told the wait list contained the top 15% of applications. Did anyone else get the same number? — i.e., am I in the 85%ile, or is everyone on the wait list?

Edited by Rollontheground

Difference and Johannes,

This is so good to hear. I'm on the wait list at Fordham too, but I'd accept; they're my top choice. 

I was told the wait list contained the top 15% of applications. Did anyone else get the same number? — i.e., am I in the 85%ile, or is everyone on the wait list?

I got the same number- top 15%. I assumed that it was just a generic email, with my name copied and pasted at the top!

Waitlists news and notifications deserve their own thread. So, here's one. Please post here if you get waitlisted anywhere, get in off the waitlist, remove yourself from one, turn down an offer from a school with a waitlist, etc.

I'll start:

I'm waitlisted at Pitt and would appreciate knowing if/when anyone with an offer from Pitt turns it down.

I also removed myself from the Indiana, Bloomington waitlist earlier today.

This is a very good idea. Many of us would very much like to know when someone turns down an offer or removes oneself from a wait list.

I've been told by a Christian philosopher to avoid Notre Dame like the plague. Look into Josh Rasmussen. The guy was quite talented and had all these publications and yet couldn't get a job anywhere (last I spoke with him a year ago).

Philosophers and their hatred of philosophy of religion, you know...

Edited by zblaesi

I've been told by a Christian philosopher to avoid Notre Dame like the plague. Look into Josh Rasmussen. The guy was quite talented and had all these publications and yet couldn't get a job anywhere (last I spoke with him a year ago).

Yep, can see where you're coming from, but Phil of Religion is really where it's at for me and I'm the classic philosophy student who doesn't care all that much about my job hopes--I do philosophy because I can't conceive of a possible world in which I'd do anything else. ND is by far the top choice for me because of this.

Yep, can see where you're coming from, but Phil of Religion is really where it's at for me and I'm the classic philosophy student who doesn't care all that much about my job hopes--I do philosophy because I can't conceive of a possible world in which I'd do anything else. ND is by far the top choice for me because of this.

(Maybe a Notre Dame adcom will see this. Other wait-listers: better step up your game!)

zblaesi, if you actually know what you're talking about (and I'm not assuming that you do), I'd like to hear more. Is your point that hiring committees are reluctant to hire Notre Dame PhDs because (i) the Notre Dame program is most known for (and has a strong) philosophy of religion focus and yet (ii) most philosophers (including most philosophers on hiring committees) "hate" the philosophy of religion?

I highly doubt that that is true. But if you know what you're talking about, do enlighten me.

Edited by DHumeDominates

zblaesi, if you actually know what you're talking about (and I'm not assuming that you do), I'd like to hear more. Is your point that hiring committees are reluctant to hire Notre Dame PhDs because (i) the Notre Dame program is most known for (and has a strong) philosophy of religion focus and yet (ii) most philosophers (including most philosophers on hiring committees) "hate" the philosophy of religion?

I highly doubt that that is true. But if you know what you're talking about, do enlighten me.

I don't know if that is true, but I've talked with Rasmussen in the past, and he was struggling in the job market. Having said that, his focus was on philosophy of religion - so it might work differently for someone who is specializing in, say, metaphysics or something. However, I know a grad student at Rutgers who is very into philosophy of religion, and his reasoning was to focus on a non-religious specialization to increase the probability of getting hired out of college. Presumably, he can shift gears into philosophy of religion later once he has secured a position. This guy has expressed major pessimism over the education quality of Notre Dame, I think mostly because some of its biggest names recently retired. He also suggested that Notre Dame has this reputation of producing "philosophers for Christ," which migh play a role in the hiring process.

Incidentally, I attended the Plantinga retirement ceremony as a freshman in community college, and I considered referencing it in my statement of purpose or to my letter writers. You know, to paint this impression of extracarricular passion for philosophy. Eric Schwitzgebel advised me against it for the reason that philosophy of religion is looked down upon.

I personally don't know what the climate is like at Notre Dame, and I'm just going by hearsay. But it's probably worth taking into consideration. It couldn't hut to look into the placement record and/or contact some recent graduates from the program.

Again, I could be 100% wrong - just throwing it out there.

Edited by zblaesi